XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions about a 2005 XK8

Old 10-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Few questions about a 2005 XK8

Hey Guys, wanted to get some opinions.

I looked at an 05 XK8 today as a possible replacement for mine. She was solid but had a few issues.

First was air bag light was on the whole time.

Second was the logo in the center of the steering wheel had a R instead of my friendly Jaguar Face. Not an XKR model but maybe related to the first issue. Replaced air bag with one from an XKR. No accidents reported in Carfax but in my experience that doesn't mean anything. Last two cars I bought were accident free by carfax but both had been in them. Couldn't see any visible damage, but it had just rained. The car looks very clean under the hood.

Third was the top. When I first cycled it, just as it tried to open it stopped and then closed. I'm thinking the latch might have been sticking a little on the drivers side or center. Tried again then opened OK but wanted to see if this is something anyone has experience with. Didn't hear any noises from the pump but I was in the driver's seat.

Last was the tire gap in the front looked low so most likely some suspension issues to take car of, hopefully just top mounts. Drove fine and tight with no pulling.

Just wanted to get some opinions before I pull the trigger.
It has 66K on it and couldn't see any damage. Brakes and tires look good.
So I figure 1/2 the age if mine and about 1/4 the mileage. I know it still says 195K and counting but over 220 now.

She developed a rear seal leak and still burns oil. Love my baby but an engine rebuild is more than it's worth. Figured I'll get the seal replaced and give it to my father who always wanted it.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:41 PM

I guess I should have mentioned the price, 13K

Also had an aftermarket blue tooth from motorola between the center counsel and drivers seat.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Can't say about the top, I've got a coupe, but for the airbag:

Did you happen to catch it flashing when you first turned the key on? It will flash a code to indicate the problem, most common on the later cars seems to be 2-2 which is the side airbag in the seat.

Most of the time you can pull the seat skin up and clean the connector to fix. I've also had it occur when the battery wasn't in good shape.

The R on the wheel might have been an optional item. There were some "R" performance packages that came with it I believe. Was the wheel all leather instead of having the wood inserts?

Old 10-05-2014, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

I think the carbon fiber editions has a steering wheel with an R, there was an R package in 05. If the air bag light just stays on it' probably the fuse, top left in drivers side fuse box.
Sounds like a good price, what's the mileage? I' m confused by the numbers in your post.

The following users liked this post:
01Silverstone (10-06-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 07:30 AM

Thanks for responding guys,

Wasn't able to catch the flashing for the airbag code as I never saw that on mine but did research on here last night. I'll go back and reinspect it before I buy.

I did some research about the Airbag last night but couldn't find how many flashes mean what. I saw code 17, 51 along with the switches in the search but I'll keep looking.

I thought about the battery when I got home because I just changed out mine a month ago so that could explain a few things.

It was black with the carbon fiber dash so I guess that could explain the R on the steering wheel. That's a relief off my mind, thanks again for the input.

Noticed the R when I was driving and asked the salesman if it was XKR, he said he thought it was then I explained the differences to him.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

The flash decoder is linked in the DIY Sticky:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...lash-codes-pdf

Old 10-05-2014, 07:56 AM

Sorry about the numbers, long day.

I'm looking at a 2005 XK8, Black with carbon fiber interior.
Has 66,000 miles and the price is just under $13,000

Dealer has had it for a few months. Originally they wanted around $17,000 for it. They dropped to $14K a few weeks ago then $13K this last week as they were having a blowout sale to clear used inventory.

Looked at KBB values and it currently below the low end of $14K and high being just under $17K for dealer prices.

My current XK8 is a 1997, gold as shown in my picture with 220,000 miles and it's exploits can be followed in the forum.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Given your knowledge as a current high-mileage early-model XK8 owner, I'd say that you're pretty safe grabbing this 2005 one at a favorable price. You already know that this forum will get you safely through whatever issues you uncover. Hammer the known issues a bit more with the sellers and you may be able to squeeze the price down even more. Make a big deal about the airbag code situation. Even our gurus like Graham (GGG) have had to chase airbag issues for months and months before finally resolving them. Lots of time required (and lots of money) if you're having to pay someone else to do it....

Good luck and keep us posted....

Old 10-05-2014, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the reply jon,

Don't think I can get the price down anymore, they turned down their price with them fixing the top issue (their idea for my counter-offer), but I'll try and push the ABS. Hopefully just battery issue as the car has been on their lot for a couple of months just sitting.

Didn't think the top was that big of issue as it did work, probably just needs some lube on the latches.

Suspension, I'm and old pro with mine, been there done that.

I'll call them tomorrow and see if we can work it out, but yep, I do want it.

As always this is by far the best forum and I think we're all lucky to have such a great group of jaguar owners.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the link CC.

Pulled the chart but didn't really understand how to read the code, does the airbag light actually flash 17 times for a code 17 or does it display a code on the screen by the speedometer?

Old 10-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by DpezXK8
Thanks for the link CC.

Pulled the chart but didn't really understand how to read the code, does the airbag light actually flash 17 times for a code 17 or does it display a code on the screen by the speedometer?
I believe it flashes once then pauses, then flashes 7 times. It will repeat this flashing sequence 3 times then stay on solid.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

dpezXK8,
Sounds like a great price. From your description of the car, I would guess that it is a Special addition Carbon Fiber model, made only in the 05 cars. One in Two Hundred built.
I have one. I can't remember where I read it, but if I remember correctly, one hundred of them were Coupe's and the other's were Convertibles. Regardless, they are rather rare, and I wouldn't mention it to the dealer--he may jack up the price.
The steering wheel should be all leather with the "R" embossed in the center. If you look at the shift knob, it should also have an "R" engraved on it. The paint is susposed to also be special. What it is called in black, I don't know. Mind is call Platium Silver. The car should have 19" wheels and the tires should be staggered. In other words smaller in the front, larger in the rear.
As for the stance of the car, I don't know if this is gosple or not, but mind also looks like it sit's a little lower in the front then the rear. I think that is only because of the lower air scoop (air damn ?) in the front that your 97 doesn't have---you'll have to be careful going over "silent policemen" (speed bumps in the South) and coming out of driveways etc..
I have put out a call here on the forum for other's who might own another 1-200 Carbon Fiber addition, but so far have only found one other. This car would make 3. All 3 are convertibles.
As to the top issue, a little lube in the right places will amaze you.

Good luck.

Chuck
05/XK8 Conv. 1-200

Old 10-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

If it does not flash at all but instead just stays on when the key is turned it's the fuse, why the fuse blew is another question. Mine would blow every time my wife drove the car and moved the drivers seat all the way forward, re secured all wiring under the seat and now no more issues.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:23 PM

Awesome, thank you

Old 10-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks the one in Fox Lake isn't it?
I test drove that one. didn't get it because I'm looking for a coupe, and an XKR.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:13 PM

Yes, that's the one. Dibs

There's a 2003 xkr vert in buffalo grove for 15,777

didn't see many xkr coupes except for 2007 and a bit more than what I was looking to spend.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:23 AM

Wasn't meant to be.

There was a 90yr old that came in while I was looking at it and apparently bought it after my deal fell through. He told me he had a KBB value of $9700 (trade in value maybe, ran the value myself and $14K was the low end with the high of $17K). They didn't even want to let him drive it. Don't know what they sold it to him for but they wouldn't budge with me.

The search goes on.

Thanks again for the advice guys.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

If you need any help with potential examples here around the Dallas-Ft Worth area, let me know. I love looking at other jaguars!

Old 10-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by DpezXK8
Wasn't meant to be.

There was a 90yr old that came in while I was looking at it and apparently bought it after my deal fell through. He told me he had a KBB value of $9700 (trade in value maybe, ran the value myself and $14K was the low end with the high of $17K). They didn't even want to let him drive it. Don't know what they sold it to him for but they wouldn't budge with me.

The search goes on.

Thanks again for the advice guys.
Were you offering much less than the $13K asking? I have to think that the other guy would also have been offering less as well--do you know?

Doug

Old 10-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Smile

Originally it was @ $17,700 then dropped to $13,887 about 2 mo. later and finally down to the $12,887. They wouldn't budge from that price but they suggested a counter offer where they would correct the top issue for me. That was refused by their boss and I wanted to think about it because I saw the ABS fault, Top, and front suspension issues. Familiar with the suspension but wasn't sure what I was getting into with the top and ABS.

Didn't realize the old guy was still hanging around at that point because I had signed the counter offer. Apparently he did and really wanted it. Not sure what he paid but I'm sure they would have sold it to me for the $12,877 with the top clause . Like I said, wasn't meant to be.

All for the best, and I agree with Matt, I love looking for jaguars. Thanks for the offer Matt but I'll know her when I see her. Actually found and 07 with less than 40K for a decent price I want to take a look at. Silver with black interior which is good in my trade. It'll be a daily driver as always so want something a little newer if I can.

Don't know if you guy have seen this site called car gurus but it's pretty awesome. Can look up anything, carries standard cars along with exotics. Found some Astons and even a bugatti in Chicago.

And if I feel sentimental my baby won't be far as I plan on giving her to my father depending on which way I go so I'm sure I'll get to work on her from time to time. Have the same deal with my old stang my nephew drives (240K on that now and still a blast to drive). They come with a lifetime warranty. As long as I'm alive I'll fix them .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Few questions about a 2005 XK8