XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A first...and another encounter....

Old 04-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default A first...and another encounter....

So, as some of you have read in my other threads ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nership-94361/ )...I bought my first Cat this week...a silver '01 XK8 vert.

I've been taking the long way home, after work, every day this week. I've logged 434 miles on her. to date.

Today was the nicest day in 8 months here, and the first time I've driven the car after dark (top down, of course).

I drove through a local, Midwest, resort lake town adjacent to were I live. I had driven all the way around the lake, when up ahead I spied a very low and wide pair of tailights. I immediately thought...Corvette, but something was amiss.

Before I could draw close enough to learn the make/model...a car had gotten between us. I eventually got behind the wide, low car at a stop sign and learned it was a newer Audi R8 ...

He accelerated half-heartedly from the stop sign on what looked to be 395/20/22's....lol

I knew what I had to do...."S" switch on, J-gate shifter in 2, and took off after him. I caught him quickley enough to get his attention ( I figure he thought I was a Vette or other form of American muscle), because he then excellerated "briskly" for a tenth of a mile. but didn't seem to be in the "sweet spot" of his powerband. Those quad exhaust tips sounded mean as hell, though, and I new I was playing with fire and was going to be shown the achillies heal, of my "new", aged cabriolet.

Welp, as it turned out, it was only he and I, for four miles of darkness on a twisty turning two lane road, lined with huge Oaks, back to my home town. I road I've known like the back of my hand for over 40 years.

So the R8 gives it the gun, but I'm ready and hit my 7k red line and shift into 3rd.

I am VERY unfamiliar with my new Cat...and pushed her as hard as I was willing....BUT IT WAS ENOUGH...the R8 couldn't lose me. I was a car lenth from his bumper the entire way to my town... I DO NOT LIE TO YOU MY NEW FRIENDS !!! (The driver just couldn't bring himself to maximize his advantage, or didn't care too).

I surely had his quriosity peaked now, as we entered my town and a 25 mph speed limit, headed for the Courthouse square ( I live in a county seat).

Towns folk were lining the Square on such a beautiful evening and I was able to pull beside him after being stuck to his bumper since the last town. He got a look at what had been prowling the dark curvy back road, topless, on this fine evening, (as two girlz I know, waved me over, on the square).

I make no mistake, that is a fantasic machine, but tonight, the driver didn't get it done, or shame my new old Cat...

Last edited by Jazz Cat; 04-30-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Jazz,
You, my man, are having way too much fun. Keep it up!
DaveC

Old 05-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Jazz,

I think you have the XK8---which means you really knew the road and could drive as well. The R8 is a very competitive car in the twisties. My neighbor has the 4.2 R8 which produces around 420HP. Watch out next time if the guy knows how drive.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountaincat
Jazz,

I think you have the XK8---which means you really knew the road and could drive as well. The R8 is a very competitive car in the twisties. My neighbor has the 4.2 R8 which produces around 420HP. Watch out next time if the guy knows how drive.
Agreed, whole heartedly......

Man, if I were in a new XKR, we could have made a TV commercial

SINK THE BISMARK...

Last edited by Jazz Cat; 05-01-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Reminds me of the night I was going back to LA from Las Vegas. It was late, and as usual, the left lane bandits were going up the hill just south of Prim at about 65 mph. I was getting ready to pass on the right, when a Porsche Carrera passed me. What the heck, nobody around, so I gave chase. He couldn’t shake me. I shut it down when I hit 140. As we slowed down, he didn’t look too pleased, that the big Cat stayed right with him! 2001 XKR Conv.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hunter260
Reminds me of the night I was going back to LA from Las Vegas. It was late, and as usual, the left lane bandits were going up the hill just south of Prim at about 65 mph.
They were going that fast? How unusual. The same thing happens at El Cajon pass, both up AND down. "OMG, a hill! I must slow down!"