XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat-Four Towing an XK8 Behind RV?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 06:59 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Flat-Four Towing an XK8 Behind RV?

Hi Lads,

So I plan on hitting the road over the next month for an extended roadtrip and I want to tow a car behind the RV (40' Diesel Pusher). I have been looking around for a decent manual transmission car to purchase as I have the XK8 and a BMW X5. Both are autos so they won't work - maybe.

I would love to be able to take the XK8 as the tow vehicle but obviously not do-able flat-four and I do not want to mess with tow dollies of any sort. I may not even be able to get any sort of tow assembly on the XK8 but if I could, I am contemplating just popping the driveshaft from the diff during transport and rehooking it when I get to the next destination.

I figure with my jack and a stand, I could raise up one side of the car on the rear while still attached to the RV and replace the driveshaft to use the car locally. I figure there would need to be a few things done to accommodate this and one of them being an additional support for the driveshaft installed so when disconnected, it could be left hanging in place, slightly away from the differential and then maybe I would need some sort of cover to place over the diff end while driving with the shaft connected?

Not an ideal situation as a manual transmission car would solve the problem but it would mean I get to take my beloved XK8 with me instead of some limp econo-box

Thoughts?

Old 10-29-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

razorboy,,
I think UHaul rents a full car trailer and your problem would be solved. I've seem them around town behind large RV's and seems very simple.

Cheers

Old 10-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Google "Trailer Life" magazine regarding "Dinghy" towing. Today even most manual transmission vehicles can't be dinghy towed. Some exceptions could be 4 wheel drive vehicles with a manual lever that disconnects the transfer case. IMO using a tow dolly on a rear wheel drive car would require loading it with the rear wheels off the ground. Trade in your motor home for a "toy hauler" problem solved!

Last edited by grantorino62; 10-31-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

Put it on a trailer, problem solved.