Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pressure pain

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 06:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default fuel pressure pain

Good evening all,
I have been working on a buddy of mines 1999 carnival red XK8 85k miles convertible for a while. ( vin sajgx2045xco33644 ) He bought the car on my recomendation as he loves mine.
Great service history all documented tensioner's metal tstat housing new top hoses, ect.
The car ran pretty good and i helped him change the fluids and filters and it ran great for a while.
Eventually he ran into a no start at home in his garage. Using the great procedure from Gus i determined the fuel pump was bad. loaded it up on my car hauler and took it to my shop to change it out. Ran fine for a while then back to the same. Car will run fine one day and the next no start. It never has Fuel Pressure when this occurs. I changed the relay no help. Fuses are good. Further trouble shooting led me to believe the pump was bad again. i changed it today and started right up and let it warm to normal, cut the car off did some reassembly in the trunk and now NO START no fuel pressure. I have gone as far as a complete dissasembly of the trunk fuse/relay box i detected no problems there. the wiring to the pump ohms out perfectly. the only thing i can think of is i used a carquest pump from advance auto both times part # E2471 it is supposed to be a direct replacement and it sure fits just right. I did replace the strainer as well both times. Any ideas guys? I am about lost on this one.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Have you tried jumping the pins at the relay to see if the pump runs?

Old 07-28-2017, 05:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mine is doing the same thing

I should have read your post first. I changed the pumps amd ran great for a week and back to no fuel pressure. This time tho i can jump the pumps and they run.. Something isnt telling the relay to energize the fuel pump fuse.. i am lost as well...

Old 07-28-2017, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the replies,
If i jump the relay the pump will run. I'm with Eddie i am wondering how to check the signal ( ground ) from the ECU to the coil of the relay. Any ideas?

Old 07-28-2017, 09:58 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Is the fuel filter Plugged?

Old 07-28-2017, 10:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No... it has fuel pressure with the relay jumped..

Old 07-28-2017, 07:10 PM

Hey Mine is solved. My pump would not run with the relay jumped out, that is why i thought, change pump again. The problem was the harness (2 wires) that connects the bottom of the evaporative emissions flange to the link wire that goes to the pump. After removing the connector the pin for the 12 volts was loose in the socket and when i pushed lightly with a meter probe the white wire fell out of the connector. there is no doubt, you could wiggle it and it would go from 3 ohms to open.
It took me a while to find it but i thank everyone for there responses and am glad to have my friends Kitty fixed.