XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump removal tools ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 04:55 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Fuel Pump removal tools ??

Purchased the special tools developed by Robert Krause to be able to disconnect the fuel lines from the tank on my 02 XKR. Have not been able to get the special tool around the fuel line at the tank to disconnect. Anyone else use these tools and if so, how the heck did you get it around the fuel line ??

Ken in WV

Old 05-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Can you post a photo of it? It should fit around the line and just push up.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 05-29-2017, 08:48 AM

Should, Supposed to, Kind of tricky and have not mastered yet after 3 hours !! Here is the link:

My problem has been getting the tool to go around the fuel line. "A little tricky and need some magic here" are way understated. I even cut the gap in the plastic removal tube, but still no "magic".. I sent him a note and expect a response today or tomorrow.

Ken

Old 05-29-2017, 03:43 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Got that problem too, when the wife dismisses me from DIY on the house I think I'll tackle mine from the speaker hole, looks far easier

Old 05-29-2017, 10:06 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I watched the video a few times to see how he was using it. He placed the extraction tool next to the fuel line and used the screwdriver to force the tool to slip around the fuel line then as he was pushing in with the extractor he used the hook to pull the fuel line away from the tank. Not much different than using the conventional tool but with an extension. I found that pushing in on the fuel line at the same time as the extractor worked for me.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:21 AM

Gus, finally was able yesterday to get one off but the second one is giving me a hard time. Have been pulling, will try a push to two.
thanks.
ken

Old 05-30-2017, 12:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I can tell you that your efforts when successful will save you a bundle of cash. When living in Oregon I paid a non-dealer shop about $1,700 to replace a defective fuel pump and to replace the plastic thermostat parts on the engine.

So be patient, take a breath and keep up the good work. Let us know how it all works out and approx how much your investment was in the project.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:13 PM

Finally !! Got both fuel lines to disconnect. Pushed and pulled and turned and again !! I was determined to get it done this morning and did. Pulled the tank out far enough to drain 12 or so more gallons and think the tank is pretty empty with the 5 already drained. Remembered the taste, yuk.. Only high test I consume usually comes in a .75l or 1.5l... lol and the taste is goooood !!! Still having a problem getting the tank out because of the wiring bundle on the passenger side going up to the top. Will work on that a bit tonight and then tomorrow. Think this one is bolted in !! Will update the posts on how to do it when finished as I have done before in the XJS section. I don't wish any problems on the future members who want to tackle the task... Once again, lots of anguish but very little blood this time ??

Ken in WV

Old 05-30-2017, 04:39 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Great! Look at my procedure on how to deal with the wire on the right. Also do not force it out just takes a little TLC to get it out.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 05-31-2017, 09:20 AM

Got the wire bundle out with TLC, but before I saw your post. BTW, where is it posted ?

Tank still not coming out ?? At least, not yet !! lol

Ken in WV

Old 05-31-2017, 09:47 AM
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Ken,

Taking the tank out is bit of a pull, turn and pivot watching the filler neck assembly. as you pull back the tank off the deck pivot it a little left and twist the tank down and towards the rear deck while pulling gently. There will be just enough clearance to pull the filler neck assembly down into trunk and out. Hope that is clear as mud!

It does come out. Took me awhile to work.

Good luck,

Mike

Old 05-31-2017, 04:18 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

If you look on your other post you will see a link to it that was provided by another member.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 06-02-2017, 11:30 AM

Gus,
Tank almost fell out after I removed the insulation pad from the left side, was much, much easier to maneuver. While the pumps are removed from the top, I prefered not to have to do this in the tank. Much easier to pull out and put it on my ATV lift. I can sit and do the work !!! I did manage to break the tit of the fuel vent assembly pulling that hose off which is a Ford part and readily available and on the way. Another error during the process was forgetting to take a photo of what wires went to what pump !! I did take a lot of pictures but not one of that. I would think they make a difference ?? Any help here appreciated. I "think" I moved the wire over and underneath the assembly but it was not fully under when I completed. When all back together, I will write up a detailed fact sheet for the forum.

Ken

Old 06-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Just been given time off with good behavior by the wife to continue with the pump change. Now I'm not bull s***ing when I say this ,but it took me 15 minutes to get the tank in a position to move and then to extract the pump via the speaker hole. Someone on here said they would charge 4 hours labour to do a pump change. I can do it in 2 with a tea break via the speaker hole, no need to get under the car and p**s about with the fuel pipes. The only fly in the ointment is that the replacement pump has the wrong electrical connector. I've noticed on ebay that some pump kits come with electrical connectors for you to splice into the existing wiring in the tank. Doesn't seem to be the best of ideas to me ,the consequences of the crimp coming loose in operation doesn't bear thinking of