XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Cockpit Tonneau Cover?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Full Cockpit Tonneau Cover?

My first car was a TR4 and it had a full cockpit tonneau. The kind where you could unzip the diverside and leave the passenger's covered. I loved it. Has anyone ever seen this set up for the XK8? It worked great in just leaving the top down and gave a (fake) sense of security for what was under the cover and was very easy to use.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 PM
GGG
Received 16,756 Likes on 12,145 Posts

I had a tonneau on my MGB in the 60's. They were available for most other sports cars at the time because a hood and a heater were optional extras!

Haven't see one on anything later than that era except for specials.

Graham

Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Familiar with these covers as well. A brilliant idea IMHO. Can't find any for the XK8/R though.

Maybe we could ask someone like TopsOnline to fit something if enough of us would commit to buy? He could make it out of the same material as the tonneau cover he makes now to keep costs down.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Done this for an elderly customer ages ago, was not hard to do pretty much like an extension of the original which was our first idea but the customer wanted it one piece, the only issue was having to fit the press studs around the out side and dash

Old 03-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

I think it could be done for $500, and not having to put the top up to protect the seats from the sun would be a great idea. I always had covers for my roadsters and convertibles in the past.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I have thought about a cover like this for a while, but especially the last few days when after cleaning my car and leaving it with the top down in my driveway, we have experienced a lot of wind, and the amount of leaves and debris blowing into my car has been considerable. I know that Covercraft in Canoga Park, CA makes a mini cover for the inside when parked, but nothing while driving. but even the cover they make has to loop around side mirrors and strap into trunk...It is also made of canvas, and I'd prefer a vinyl that matches the interior leather color. The success of one of these covers would depend upon how it's fastened down. In the old days the covers had snaps along the door sills and the rear deck, and it was literally, a "snap." I don't envision any of us adding snaps or velcro to any visible surfaces, but am determined to come up with a plan. I work very closely with a drapery and upholstery workroom as I am in that industry, and over the next couple of months in my spare time, I will design something that meets my satisfaction. When it's done, I'll post pictures

The following 3 users liked this post by tberg:
azureyes (06-06-2015), jimborino (06-15-2018), MRomanik (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Turns out the 1990-1997 Miata had a cockpit cover available. Cars came with snap posts on body and dash (?). Not sure this was standard, as I am not a Mazda expert, but the Mazda forums imply that it was.

They are still available: Robbins Mazda Miata Headrest Pocket Tonneau Cover - SALE!!!

Not sure what the "flap" factor is at Jag speeds. My MGA never broke 90 mph, so have no personal experience.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:58 AM

Living on my sailboat at the marina such a tonneau would be the solution to lots of issues including the Pterodactyle poop issue. The Miata cover shown in Jag#4's response would be ideal....if it were for our XK8's. I wonder if they might be able to cook one up if they saw enough of a market for this? Anyone ever done a group order before?

Old 03-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

The Mazda cover would be ideal except for the fact that you're required to install male snap posts to the side mirrors and pins that plug into the dashboard. I don't believe you would get any XK owners to do that. I'm thinking that there may be other ways of fastening without any exposed fasteners. Maybe soft magnetic strips on underside of vinyl that attach along window sills and trunk edge. I will give it some thought this week and see what I can conjure up.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 AM

I'm open to putting the snaps on at correct locations on the dash, just not through the leather, on my '97 as I intend to use a tonneau if I can get one. My car's not a garage queen but one I enjoy just driving. If someday I decide to pass her along to someone else, I guess I hope they enjoy the tonneau also.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Feel a bit of a fraud as I'm not YET an XK convertible owner ...... watch this space !! But ........ if the demister vents on the XK8 are like those on my X Type (and from the parts diagram it looks like they might be) - could the plastic "expanding rivet" be replaced by some sort of metal clip which would serve the dual purpose of retaining the demister vent AND holding a full size tonneau cover ? That way, it would be both cheap and easy to revert back to OEM look and there would be no visible damage to the car in the process.
I used to have one on an old Sunbeam Alpine convertible many years ago, with a zip down the centre so that just the drivers side was open, and it was really great (AND kept your toes warmer in winter !!)

Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I've been doing business with a locally-owned ragtop/interiors car business here in Raleigh for at least thirty years. Their long-time craftsmen can design and create any custom cover you want. As has been mentioned, the problem lies in whether you would be willing to add the appropriate closing/fastening system in order to keep the cover in place at speed. The other problem would be whether you would be willing to pay what I'm sure will be a very pricey sum for a one-off custom cover....

Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Maybe we could ask someone like TopsOnline to fit something if enough of us would commit to buy? He could make it out of the same material as the tonneau cover he makes now to keep costs down.
+1 I'm sure Vic would be happy to help if someone asks him.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:22 PM

I just left a voice message with Vic. I've got leather seat covers in for fabrication with him right now. Hope to hear back on Monday.

The following users liked this post:
Frog (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

I don't have a problem with studs on the doors and dash. For many years that was part of owning a sports car. Besides, the top is rarely up on my car, so the tonneau would normally be in place.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:54 PM

I guess gone are the days of the hairy chested British sportscars, the Healey's, TR6s, the older Jags, when one was proud of the tonneau snaps on the doors, a rumble from the exhaust and the wind in the hair while a pretty blonde sat in the passenger seat and the picnic basket with a bottle of red was in the boot. Well anyway, I know the wind in the hair is cause the hairs gone :-)

Old 03-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Padrino
I guess gone are the days of the hairy chested British sportscars, the Healey's, TR6s, the older Jags, when one was proud of the tonneau snaps on the doors, a rumble from the exhaust and the wind in the hair while a pretty blonde sat in the passenger seat and the picnic basket with a bottle of red was in the boot. Well anyway, I know the wind in the hair is cause the hairs gone :-)
In the past, British sports cars (did it), snaps on the doors (had it), wind in the hair (wind & hair, check), picnic basket (check), and bottle of red (mogen david, but I was broke...see #1, British sports cars).

Wait, something's missing. Oh yeah, the pretty blonde didn't show up until the E-type days. Wine was better vintage then too.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

I would have no problem putting together a design, and a good quality vinyl "leatherette" is approximately $10.00-15.00 per running yard (54" width, and I bought a beautiful vinyl this week to upholster a client's restaurant booths for just under $10/yd). I also have a workroom that has been doing all of my custom interior work for 30 years, so I could have them sewn very reasonably. I would want to line the vinyl with another fabric to make it look finished. I doubt there is more than $80-$100 in materials and probably $125-150 in labor. The key is I would want to come up with a tie down design that doesn't alter the door sills or dash with snaps etc. Again, I don't believe the majority of XK owners would want those alterations made, including myself. I am quite busy for the next 2-3 weeks, but I will start working on a prototype by the middle of April. I am certain I can figure something out. And by the way, Topsonline or Vic's places orders for the seats and tops with another company, they are not made at their place, so I'm not sure they could come up with a tonneau just because we ask.

The following 5 users liked this post by tberg:
azureyes (06-06-2015), floridabrian (03-24-2013), Jeff in Tucson (03-26-2013), RDMinor (03-24-2013), RJ237 (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Would a tonneau cover look good on the current XKs? Miatta, TRs and older Jags were all two seaters with a relatively small area to cover. With an XK we are looking at a rather large area that would have to be very taught so as not to "sail" around the driver while at speed... I guess a mock-up would give an idea as to the overall appearance...

Old 03-24-2013, 06:10 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

the picnic basket with a bottle of red was in the boot
Even sweeter imho tied down on a rack on top of the boot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Full Cockpit Tonneau Cover?