XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glutten for Punishment

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Red face Glutten for Punishment

Just wanted to let my friends in this section know about my new project.
The XK is running great so.......I am contemplating restoring a 1967 S Type 3.8L Saloon for a friend, or possibly purchase it. It's quirky, has RH Drive, and of course is over-engineered in typical British fashion...overly complex mechanical gismos, but NO Computer controls! It's kinda cute, will certainly get noticed, and has decent performance and handling. Over in the "Other Models" section there are a total of 4 pages of threads!!! Guess the cars are simple enough not to have to beg for help.

If you wanted something different at the cruise ins, this would be it! Post pics soon as I learn how. Gotta work on that...

Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts

ahhhh, thats a great, timeless classic jag. I'd love to have one for those 'special' occasions. Can you imagine going dowtown to a broadway show and get valeted? Good luck w/ the project and looking forward to some good threads on it!

Old 02-18-2011, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 578 Likes on 476 Posts

I like MK2s which were basically the same as an S Type, but what you need to do is get yourself an old XJR (308) and produce one of THESE

You should check out the E Type (XKE) very nice and the XK150 is to die for

Old 02-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I've always loved the old Mk2. That Beacham one is amazing. My independent service shop (Classic Import Repair in Sioux Falls, SD; highly recommend them) has a Mk2 project they've been working on. I drooled all over it when the replaced the rear pinion seal in my XK8.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I'm jealous, Steve.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I also have a 1967 Mk2.
You will find a lot more information over on Jaglovers Forum, in the Saloons section.
Not nearly as user friendly as this forum, but the information is all there.
Go for it...They are lots of fun...

Old 02-18-2011, 10:13 PM

Thanks guys. This will be a fun project. I've hooked up with "Fraser" on the Other Models forum..he's given me lots of good info. Boy are these "Quirky" cars though. Was told they had Positive Earth/Ground. If so, someone changed this over to Negative Earth..thank goodness. Also, has a 4.2 starter and flywheel..like a normal starter. Original was mounted ahead of flywheel, but, had an extended shaft whereby the starter gear was behind and engaged the flywheel from behind...geez glad that has been changed over too. So someone kinda knew what they were doing with this thing. Carb rebuild this weekend. This has not run in over a decade. Refitted a new modern in-line electric fuel pump, (this has 2 gas tanks and 2 fuel pumps...I'll get to the other one later) fixed starter, tore-down carbs, pressure washed underside today.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Default To XKRacer

Yeah that Beacham car is really cool. That is what I will do to my 62 Corvette someday..i.e. put a modern chassis, engine, 5 spd trans, disk brakes etc. under a stock appearing body.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
Yeah that Beacham car is really cool. That is what I will do to my 62 Corvette someday..i.e. put a modern chassis, engine, 5 spd trans, disk brakes etc. under a stock appearing body.

Hey Steve, where do you buy those? My ex-wife could really use some. She just can't seem to stop.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Early S-type cars were much more complex than Mk II cars...complex power steering, 4 wheel discs and the rear IRS from the Series I E-type (with shortened axles...the S-type is a bit crabtracked though not as much as a MkII....makes for interesting wiggles coming out of a corner at speed)

By very circumspect with rebuilding the electric fuel pumps either side in the boot...lots of sparky stuff quite near high-octane fuel, with only the best grade of cardboard used for gaskets, insulators, etc.

Best wishes on the project!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last time we did one of these power steering boxes, new bearings and seals were quite unavailable....If I had leaks in one now, I would try the new PS stop-leak stuff and leave it at that!
(has a Land-Rover part number, because all the Classic Range Rovers leak now)

The following users liked this post:
Fla Steve (02-20-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 08:16 PM

I was advised it wasn't worth trying to rebuild the fuel pump(s), so I retrofitted a new in-line style low psi pump from Auto Zone. I have the SU carbs apart and was able to get kits, so I'll have it running this coming week I hope. I know I'll be needing full suspesion bushings, tie rods, ball joints, and brake etc. Gonna be fun. It's really a cool little car. Didn't think it would be a bit squirreley handling wise though..disappointed to hear that.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Default HA HA Sam

Sam, your character has been revealed such that I was not surprised you picked up on my "disk brake" typo. Why does your wife need one, is yours out of control?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

My EX wife! She always had trouble saying "no". To anyone. My new wife is as pure as the falling snow.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't know why the handeling in a 3.8 should be "squirreley". These cars were unbeatible in saloon car racing for a few years.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Great project Steve! Here is a website with some cool pictures.

http://californiaclassix.com/archive/65_Jag_S_c211.html

"Acres of wood not only enhance, they actually create the dashboard".

But the muffler is over the top ! (sorry, couldn't resist)...or is that the intake?

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-21-2011 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fla Steve (02-21-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Default Thanks WhiteXKR

Thanks for that link, great pictures of an S Type...something for me to strive for...a beautiful car that is.

This is gonna be fun...I've got my work cut out for me though; need new rocker panels, one rear wheel lip, and possibly a partial wing around the right turn signal area. Haven't called SNG Barret yet but they show and price the panels so I think they're available.

Had to do more than I thought today..rotten hard fuel line, but maybe I'll be able to fire her up tomorrow.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 578 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
I've got my work cut out for me though; need new rocker panels.

Rocker panels??? Are these what we call 'sills'

Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Default To XKRacer

Sorry about that..forgot my English vernacular. Yes we Yanks sometimes call sills, rocker panels. I know the hood is a bonnet, the trunk a boot, the roof or convertible top a hood; door panels are cards...the firewall is the bulkhead. Tires are tyres, shocks are dampers, upper A-arm (control arm) is a wishbone, gas is petrol, and anti-roll bars are....stabilizers?
So what else I'm I missing?
Forecourt is what you call a gas station parking lot or drive-in?

The Jaguar XK8 A Modern Sporting Icon book is a good source for your vernaular...I need to read it again.

This forum is fun and culturally enriching!

PS (post script do you bloks use that?) I've been sooo busy on the S Type I haven't had time to learn how to attach picture yet .. sorry

Old 02-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Default She runs

Started the engine in the 67 S-Type today! Huge clouds of smoke at first but cleared up the more I ran it, and added more Marvel Mystery Oil. I guess the oil control rings were all gummed up from sitting for maybe 10 years. Tomorrow I drive it for the first time.

Quick Reply: Glutten for Punishment