XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone converted an X100 to electric steering?

Old 08-10-2016, 04:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Has anyone converted an X100 to electric steering?

The default on the X100 at loss of traction is to cut power (down to 300 rpm's or so). This cut makes it impossible to steer even if you are in the power.

HAS ANYONE CONVERTED FROM ENGINE POWERED POWER STEERING TO ELECTRICLY DRIVEN POWER STEERING?
HELP
Wayne

Last edited by GGG; 08-14-2016 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Remove font codes from thread title
Old 08-11-2016, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Well, this is not what you are asking, but the stock steering has a mechanical component (hydraulic pressure generated by a pump on a belt), as well as an electrical component for control. My understanding is that the power assist is maximized at low speed (say, to make it easier to park the car), and minimized at higher speed for a more firm feel. In other words, I believe the assist is based on vehicle speed (as opposed to RPM).

First, you might want to check that your variable assist works as intended. It would not hurt to check the basics of the hydraulic circuit either, I suppose.

Also, a forum member grew unhappy with the "response curve" as provided by Jaguar, and created a smart controller that was able to generate an (adjustable) alternative electric signal to the steering assist based on a response curve of his choosing. I suppose you could look into that project and come up with your own design. Check here: servo-assistance-control-147084/

FWIW, if a power steering in working order can _comfortably_ steer a car nearly at rest, the hydraulic system provides more than enough assistance.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Last edited by fmertz; 08-11-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:41 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by kulddy
The default on the X100 at loss of traction is to cut power (down to 300 rpm's or so). This cut makes it impossible to steer even if you are in the power.
HAS ANYONE CONERTED FROM ENGINE POWERED POWER STEERING TO ELECTRICLY DRIVEN POWER STEERING?
HELP
Wayne
I'm a little curious as to what you're doing with your car that's causing it to lose traction to this degree. Separate from that, the steering should not be noticeably difficult even with the DSC fully engaged.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:19 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

To say that it is impossible to steer is not actually true. I drove mine for 250 miles with a PAS pump that had exploded ,the steering was stiff but not to the point where the car was undriveable. You are trying to fix a problem that does not exist

Old 10-12-2016, 07:06 PM

Ok, now what happened was;
Right hand turn from a stop when cold and misting.
Brand new really wide reflective crosswalk paint.
Spin...trying to turn into spin, the car fought me, the wheel felt welded.
The engine spun up, the wheel spun WAY TOO EASILY.
I OVERCORECTED.
THEN FACED THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!
By this time I was across three lanes and could not avoid an accident that should never have occurred!
THAT IS WHY THE THOUGHTS ON ELECTRIC STEERING CONVERSION. For the record manual steering would have avoided the whole incident. I am THAT GOOD A DRIVER!

Old 10-13-2016, 01:01 AM

Fix the problem then, you DO NOT need an electric conversion, it is not necessary or required. As I said previously, I've driven my car with no PAS for 250 miles or so without any serious issues

Old 10-13-2016, 03:02 AM
Received 265 Likes on 197 Posts

You might want to check your tyre pressures or perhaps go a little easier on the throttle. Or do some driver training.

The following users liked this post:
mrobinson (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 05:13 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
You might want to check your tyre pressures or perhaps go a little easier on the throttle. Or do some driver training.

Training and a smaller car with less power..................

mrobinson (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 06:01 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The roads are not your own private racetrack.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by mrobinson
The roads are not your own private racetrack.
You obviously have not driven in Florida recently. They may not be his private racetrack, but they must be somebody's private race track.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:28 AM

Guys, it was a low throttle 90 degree right hand turn. Very low throttle. The stability control seems to have gone whacko!
The tires (tires and wheels have been changed to Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Have plenty of grip in the rain) were the ones that came with the car when I bought it used in Sarasota. They were admittedly hard (wear factor 550) and bought to last for an exec to drive the car. I go to track days and have spun before. But this was a very different experience.
I wasn't driving aggressively, in fact I was sorta tip-toeing around because of the FIRST LIGHT RAIN IN MANY MONTHS! I have raced both cars and bikes in the rain, this was NOT THAT!

Old 10-13-2016, 09:15 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Guys, it was a low throttle 90 degree right hand turn. Very low throttle. The stability control seems to have gone whacko!
The tires (tires and wheels have been changed to Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Have plenty of grip in the rain) were the ones that came with the car when I bought it used in Sarasota. They were admittedly hard (wear factor 550) and bought to last for an exec to drive the car. I go to track days and have spun before. But this was a very different experience.
I wasn't driving aggressively, in fact I was sorta tip-toeing around because of the FIRST LIGHT RAIN IN MANY MONTHS! I have raced both cars and bikes in the rain, this was NOT THAT!
Michelin Pilot Super Sport ("for super sport cars and high performance tuning") are a bit too much.
If the tyres are too old or too hard there is no grip,
buy new tyres and don´t think about electric steering.

kulddy (10-16-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 09:17 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Living in Canada, I probably run into more zero traction situations in one winter day than you do in a decade.

Never have I had a car's steering react like you claim. Even when the DSC light is flashing like a disco, power steering is unaffected.

Why not go to a skid pad and see if ou can recreate the issue.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
Johnken (10-13-2016), kulddy (10-16-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Right hand turn from a stop when cold and misting, the wheel felt welded.
What has happened to me before (on an older car) is that under wet conditions and at high steering angle, water off the tires would soak the belt, make it slip and cause stiff steering (as well as blinking alternator charging light, etc). This was of course a transverse engine, with the belt next to the tire, and poor well liner design. This is harder to imagine with a longitudinal engine like the XK8.

I would check the wheel well liners, as well as all the plastic underbelly components. Try an imagine a situation where water would soak the belt. Check the belt for contamination, too, like greasy residue (possibly off of a leaky water pump bearing), anything that could be made more slippery with water. Take the belt off and check if any of the accessories is binding (this would cause the belt to slip and cut off steering assistance) by turning them by hand.

Also, check the front suspension for any type of binding. Are your upper mounts badly collapsed? Do you have lowering springs? Are your tie rods possibly touching anything at high steering angle and high load?

Just my thoughts. Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following 2 users liked this post by fmertz:
Johnken (10-13-2016), kulddy (10-16-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

How new are the inner tie rods?

kulddy (10-16-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 08:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went through an intersection in my XJR and experienced hard steering and alternator issue for a couple of minutes. I have had the DSC engage in my XKR during a light mist. It nearly put me through the windshield. Note to self, if there is any chance of tire spin , turn DSC off !!

kulddy (10-16-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 08:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been considering putting electric steering in my XK8 so that I can gain some room for a centrifugal supercharger. They are inexpensive and seem to work fairly well , from what I understand.

kulddy (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 10:52 AM

Thanks, the new tires and wheels stick just fine (SS's).
Current problem; fans not working A/C not working. Have replaced Fan Control Module last year. I happen to have another. But as of now the only set of keys got locked into trunk.
IDEAS ANYONE?

Last edited by kulddy; 10-16-2016 at 10:57 AM. Reason: New problem.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by fredgarvinmp
I went through an intersection in my XJR and experienced hard steering and alternator issue for a couple of minutes. I have had the DSC engage in my XKR during a light mist. It nearly put me through the windshield. Note to self, if there is any chance of tire spin , turn DSC off !!
If you had an alternator issue at the same time then it was a slipping belt, turning DSC off wont fix that, as they said in the film Apollo 13, fix the problem people, don't make things worse by guessing. DSC is supposed to reduce tire spin and allow you to regain control. If its not doing that you have a fault somewhere that certainly wont be fixed by fitting an electric steering kit.

kulddy (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 12:31 PM

How does one go about the electric conversion Fredgarvinmp!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone converted an X100 to electric steering?