XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have I discovered something, or am I drunk, dilusional and generally crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 07:13 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Have I discovered something, or am I drunk, dilusional and generally crazy?

So, as many of you know, I wrecked my 99 kitty last November (*See the post "I wrecked my jag", it's doing fine, back together waiting for paint)

ANYWAY, over the course of the last 7 months, working on it 4 to 6 hours every other weekend (bad back), and placing negative battery cable on and off again numerous times start it and check this and that, something interesting has happened. I noticed it the other day, and I can't explain it and I've never heard of it mentioned on the forums before this post.

Check this out - When I turned on the air conditioner over the course of the last few days and aimed the center left hand vent to my face, something new happens now. I'm driving along, and I noticed my hand was getting cold from the vent. Thought little of it and literally 15 seconds later, the vent started blowing my face and not my hand. Then again, 15 seconds later the vent was blowing my hand again.

I thought it to be a fluke, until it happened every day for the last four days. Gentlemen (and da ladies too) my vent is oscillating up and down, sweeping me from my lap to my face every 15 seconds. I cannot see the vent moving, but by god it's happening.

So, am I drunk, delusional or generally crazy? Has ANYBODY ever heard of this?:icon_ banana:

Old 06-09-2016, 08:30 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Could it be because the fan speed is set to Auto and it changes with the temperature? Are the vent fins loose? Maybe they blow straight when the fan speed increases and the vent angle drops down as the fan speed decreases.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:00 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

It is in the default start-up, fully auto setting. Are A/C and AUTO LED's both illuminated? Of course one LED could be blown out, but with the A/C on, and AUTO setting selected, you should notice that none of the directional ICONS are illuminated. Instead the system is automatically directing air around the different cockpit vents, and will continue to do so until you select something else like feet and head, or defroster and feet settings.

The following 3 users liked this post by 03 XKR:
Fulton (06-09-2016), marvin.d.miller (06-10-2016), sklimii (06-10-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Good thinking 03xkr, when you say it, it is kind of obvious, but I don't think I would have caught that one.

The following users liked this post:
03 XKR (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 XKR
It is in the default start-up, fully auto setting. Are A/C and AUTO LED's both illuminated? Of course one LED could be blown out, but with the A/C on, and AUTO setting selected, you should notice that none of the directional ICONS are illuminated. Instead the system is automatically directing air around the different cockpit vents, and will continue to do so until you select something else like feet and head, or defroster and feet settings.
Really?! I would have gone with drunk and delusional. Now I have to try it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fulton:
marvin.d.miller (06-10-2016), sklimii (06-10-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

I always run mine in full auto and this does not happen, in auto it will adjust air flow between the dash and floor vents as the temp varies but no way does it adjust enough to cause an osolation effect.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:21 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

in the hot summer down in the south that would be a nice to have . real nice

Old 06-09-2016, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Hmmm, .... Interesting. Well, I've been watching Outer Limits reruns for a couple of weeks, so you certainly don't want "my" opinion right now - lol

Old 06-10-2016, 02:19 AM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Original 1960's series on the Comet Channel? Me too. Quite possibly the finest Sci-Fi series ever aired on TV.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:00 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

It's not that the vent fins are loose, they are "snug like normal", and, it's the only vent I have aimed at me directly. All of the other vents I like to aim everywhere else to cool the cabin down faster. Also, the blower isn't increasing or decreasing in speed either. And...I'm not on auto.

I have to say it's a nice effect to suddenly have. Now, if we could only figure out how it's happening.....

Old 06-10-2016, 08:34 AM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Auto mode can be de-selected by pushing the 'auto' button again, or by lowering the temperature setting manually. I often push 'auto' accidentally and do not notice for a bit that the air is not coming out where I have it selected to manually. But until you push a directional air flow ICON button, you should see that none of the icons are lit up, as each vent flow button has it's own red light for 'face & feet', 'feet & defrost', 'face only', etc. The air flow will still rotate around the cockpit vents, even though 'auto' is no longer lit up, and will continue to do so until you select a 'manual' setting.

To have this behavior occur on purpose, turn on the unit, press 'auto', auto and a/c should light up, the re-circulate button may illuminate depending on outside air temperature, the directional ICONS will not be lit, press the 'auto' button again, a/c should only be lit, lights on icons should still be out, and air will flow automatically from vent to vent around the cockpit. At any time select an icon to direct the air flow to a specific location.

If you are feeling a flow from across the vent i.e. left to right, or up to down, that is the damper closing and switching to the next set of vents.

Last edited by 03 XKR; 06-10-2016 at 09:33 AM.
marvin.d.miller (06-13-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

No matter what I tried I couldn't get the same effect. Not that it really matters air conditioning is only useful a couple days a year in this vicinity.

Maybe I'm not drinking enough, I will try that next.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

I'll vote for crazy.