XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Problem

Hello, I have a 2003 XKR I just recently purchased about 2 months ago. The other day (about a week ago) I noticed the low beam headlight on my drivers side is out. It was working fine when I got the car, and the passenger side works normally. I did not see any messages ("lamp out" or anything similar) in the information panel on the dash. I went and purchased a new lamp @ the auto parts store and changed it out to no avail. I have the HID headlights (lamp is the D1S 35Watt type). The guy @ the auto parts store said it may be the ballast went bad. Could this be the case ? Any other possibilities ? If so, how hard is that to change ? Is it something I can tackle on my own (I'm pretty handy) or is it best left to the dealer ? Also, if so does anyone know a good place to order a ballast from ? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Vinnie

Old 09-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue on my '03. It was indeed the ballast that failed, however, it was covered under the warranty so the dealer made the repair.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:19 PM

no warranty here unfortunately......anyone do a dyi ? I am not opposed to doing the work but I also don't want to create a larger problem. Any help or ideas ???

Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 AM

It sounds like the ballast probably gave out. Before you purchase a new one make sure its not a wiring issue by unplugging the ballast and checking to see that it is actually getting power.

I retrofitted my XK8 which came from the factory with halogen bulbs to HID a few months back. Here is the thread on the install:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ight=headlight

The prices of HID have come way down and you could probably save a lot of money by getting a good quality aftermarket system instead of trying to hunt down a factory ballast.
I used a full kit from DDM tuning, I've used them on many different vehicles and always had excellent results. It took a little bit of modification to the slots for the bulb in the projector housing but overall was very easy.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:41 AM

vagearhead, i like your idea. i did manage to find what i think is the correct factory ballast on ebay but they run about $200. It looks like you can get a complete aftermarket replacement kit for about $100, sounds much better. Does the new (aftermarket) ballast fit into the same location as the original (inside the headlamp module) or is there a better place to mount it ?

Also, and this may be a stupid question - the JTIS says when taking out the headlamp module to "apply appropriate protective tape" around it, I assume so as to not hit/damage the paint when you take it out. Is this really necessary ? If so is there a specific "special" tape to use that will not stick to the car afterwards or is good ol' blue masking tape ok ? I know this sounds silly but the XKR is a new toy for me and I'm still a little paranoid about it...

-V

Old 12-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Default Low beams dont work

My low beams don't work, despite replacing lamps. Occasionally the lights will work then as soon as I use my turn indicators the lights go dark. Do I have an electrical problem within my steering column/turn indicator? Anyone else have this problem? And can anyone tell me how to take apart my steering wheel without blowing my head off from the airbag? Thanks

Old 12-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

DrBMarks: You might get better response if you start a new thread. A Moderator could answer that.

The following users liked this post:
DrBMarks (12-06-2010)