Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight problems Urgent please

Old 08-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Headlight problems Urgent please

Hi all
I've just removed the RH headlight from my XK8
The headlight was removed in an attempt to cure a nasty water leak into the headlight
After washing or rain there is moisture inside the headlight, much more than I would expect from just condensation.
I have not yet separated the headlight front from the rear
Where is the most common area of leakage
I cannot see where moisture is getting in. I was planning on drying it out then running a stream of water onto it to see if any leak is visable. Has any one tried this?.
I notice there is no breather pipe that I can see. The technical bulletin indicates that there is a breather to which a T modification can be done. Does anyone have any information?
I wish to have it back on the road ASAP so any help would be appreciated
Any information or experience at all is greatly appreciated.
Regards and thanks
Alan

Old 08-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

There's really two places it can be getting in. , be careful not to disturb the chrome finish on the interior of the lens if yours is a chrome headlight. Is will wipe off and it's not replaceable.
There could be separation from the lens and the reflector. I used clear silicone and carefully went around the back and sealed the glued edge.
The other place can be the gasket between lens and housing. Tat will take a new gasket.
Also check the access lid on the top of the fixture. Make sure it's tight.
I've replaced everything and sealed everything and still get some moisture in it. I usually open the top access lid and turn lights on while I drive and it clears up.

But I haven't had a major water problem since I siliconed the seam of the clear lens.

The following users liked this post:
Alan E L (08-10-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan E L
............... The technical bulletin indicates that there is a breather to which a T modification can be done. Does anyone have any information? ............
Alan,

There's at least four TSB's on Headlamp Misting. The earliest one describes the issue and fixing the Tee piece to (attempt to) prevent it:

417 05 - Headlamp Misting.pdf

The subsequent TSB's refer to this one and then go on to advise, if it doesn't fix it, fit a new Headlamp!

I'm convinced the problem is due to ineffective sealing between the lens and the main housing. Nothing short of a re-design would cure this and clearly Jaguar preferred to supply replacement Headlamps under warranty rather than come up with a new headlamp design.

As philhef has described in post #2, sealing with silicone significantly reduces misting but will not eradicate it.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Alan E L (08-11-2013)