XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello everyone!

I'm just glad to be here. Maybe someone can tell me why my 2001 xk8 has no compression. It's been at a shop for about a month now. I trust this guy and he's about the most honest car mechanic I've met. He has been working on it but just can't figure out what the problem is.Any help would be greatly appreciated. .

Old 04-11-2014, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Hi.......

Run a search for bore wash......

Old 04-11-2014, 06:13 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by travera57
I'm just glad to be here. Maybe someone can tell me why my 2001 xk8 has no compression. ........
Two fundamental reasons:

1. too much clearance between the piston rings and the cylinder bores

and/or

2. the valves aren't closing at the correct time.

Without more information on what has been checked, tested and eliminated, only your mechanic can tell you why either is happening.

Graham

Old 04-11-2014, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

welcome and enjoy the board

Old 04-11-2014, 07:04 AM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Was it running ok previously, and what happened leading up to the problem ? When it happened to mine, I started the car and moved it out of the garage and then stopped it. An hour later, no compression. Bore wash.

A bit of oil down each cylinder via the spark plug holes ( about a teaspoon ) and after a puff of smoke, compression back to normal. Common problem apparently, and plenty of stories about mechanics suggesting a new engine is required. Maybe worth a try.

Report back.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exactly what happened !

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Was it running ok previously, and what .happened leading up to the problem ? When it happened to mine, I started the car and moved it out of the garage and then stopped it. An hour later, no compression. Bore wash.

A bit of oil down each cylinder via the spark plug holes ( about a teaspoon ) and after a puff of smoke, compression back to normal. Common problem apparently, and plenty of stories about mechanics suggesting a new engine is required. Maybe worth a try.

Report back.
Mine did the same thing. I'll try the oil in the cylinder. Will let you know what happens. . Thanks for the advise

Old 04-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

In the shop for a month and no progress? A compression test usually involves squirting oil in the cylinder to see if compression comes up. This is also the fix for bore wash, as stated. Also as stated, cams way off or even bent valves due to timing chain failure can cause no compression. Let's hope for bore wash. If that's what it is, Restore seems to have helped me; no problems since using it (although I only had bore wash once prior). Big PIA removing and replacing the plugs and doing the oil.