XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Opinions before purchase!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Help! Opinions before purchase!!!

First a little background, new member here, but have lurked for a long time. I've wanted an XK8/R for the last decade, and thanks to the wonders of depreciation I am on the verge of buying one! But...I've read and read about the issues on the 97-02's thinking this is what I could buy, but I have 2 vehicles scouted out and now I need the forum's thoughts, opinions.
car # 1 2001 XKR 38,000 miles one owner,Navy/royal blu pristine conditon $19K
car # 2 2003 XK8 41,000 miles one owner, Topaz/gold also pristine $19K

My gut says the 2003 is the smart play, 2 yrs newer, 4.2, 6 speed tranny, lot less to worry about

But that XKR is gorgeous! And I love the thought of the POWER!!!!!!

PLEASE advise if I'm wrong in thinking the 2003 is much less problem prone, hoping to wrap the deal the next few days but I hate to make a huge mistake!!!

I welcome ALL input, and apologize in advance for all my future, stupid questions!

Old 03-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Both cars sound very nice. Just one thing to consider, make sure the tensioners have been replaced on the '01 XKR. Good luck and post a pix as soon as you make up your mind.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Which brings up anther question is there a national database that Jag dealer can check to vin against to see if this and other issues were addressed? Jag of Tulsa told me "only if we serviced it otherwise we can't see anything" I'm gonna make a few educated guess calls to dealers near where it appears the car lived and beg for info, but was my home Jag dealer in Tulsa BSin' me?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Have you test driven them ?

The 4.2 normally aspirated and the 4.0 supergcharged R may not be as far apart as you think powerwise. The R is definitiely faster..but IMHO not as dramatic as some might think.

Personally I do not think one is terribly more problem prone than the other, but the secondary tensioners need to be attended to on the 2001 sooner rather than later and should be negotiated out of the price (about $800)

As long as your expectations are realistic (there may be a few things to attend to on any 8-10 year old car) you will enjoy either one...do your homework...but I would say also follow your heart.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 03-27-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Get out the exhaustive check list found in the FAQ above and pay special attention to the interior items such as seats, AC, air bag light, etc, etc, etc. Tire wear another critical issue. I just ordered 2 tires . . . $400 and that is the low priced spread. Beyond the tensioners and the overall condition of the cars that is pretty much a toss up with emotion being the winning issue.

Personally, my XK8 has a scary amount of power, far more than I can use. Everything else being equal I would go for the '03.

I would use the tensioners as a bargaining point, either the owner demonstrates that they have been changed or the price is discounted $800.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Out of curiosity are they coupes or convertibles? Those prices seem really really good for such low mileage cars.

I absolutely love my 2000 XKR coupe. The supercharger "makes" this car for me because it is just so cool having one. IMO; in the long run these will be the collectible cars just like the higher HP Vettes. The SC cars pull strong and plant you back in the seat. In non-sport mode it starts out in 2nd gear because they have so much torque (don't know if that's the same in a 4.2NA car). They have a robust Mercedes 5spd transmission vs the early 8s ZF5spd, so you're good there. Andre Voss used the Mercedes 5 spd mated to a 4.2 in his 600HP car ; presumably because it's even stronger than the ZF 6 speed. (Maybe computer compatability not sure) True, the 4.2 is a stronger engine and has better timing chains, tensioners, forged crank, oil squirters etc. But if you're a "Gear Head", can turn a wrench go with the R. Besides the engine (and with the low miles on both you shouldn't have problems with either)...per my understanding, the are more things that can give problems (electrical) on the MY03 as they are more sophisticated...e.g headrest issues, brake switch problems, active cruise control, heated windscreen etc. My best advice...PM some of the Techs on this forum ask them about reliability between the two. I have no regrets buying mine with 65K miles...did the new chains tensioners myself as have several on this forum..not that hard. Last word...if you want the wow factor when you punch it, open the hood at the cruise-ins, and stare at it in the garage with those hood louvers and SS Mesh grill....get the RRRRR. BTW which brakes does it have, mine are the standard single piston before the 4 pots came out in 01. Very opinionated but you asked for it!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 PM

Fla Steve,
I forgot about the change on the tranny for the R's, thanks for that info, and this is the first I've heard mention of the electrical issues you brought up. And as to your first question, I do love convertibles!! Both are Conv.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Pull the Carfax reports.... see if either of them has an extensive service history and if they do see if you can get the previous owner's name and speak to the place that did all the service. I was lucky when I bought my XK8 that it had an extensive service record at one particular shop, so I went there and they knew the car and said the tensioners had been replaced and the transmission was rebuilt and strengthened... they also pulled the records and walked through everything else that was done. I was kinda lucky and wouldn't go so far with any other car but since the early XK's have a lot of issues, it was pretty important to research it.

I'd go with the one that just says "buy me" more.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Read some more of the threads the past month or so. I can't recall if MY01 had seperate head rests but they have caused problems. I don't know if the brake switch is the same or not either, but again some issues there...see Rev Sams frustrating article about replacing his. I do know the 4.2 engine has a different engine management and prob more advanced computer, software and more of a CAN network integrated system. My point is, for me mechanical stuff you can see, is easier to fix and do preventative maintenance on than electrical gremlins. That's why you should get opinions from "Gus" and other Techs that work on these all the time... PM them. A side note. I have always loved the coupes but they are pricier than converts. Never thought I could afford one. Then one day while cruising Auto trader I looked up Jags and I saw one for a great price and within 48hrs flew to Texas to get it. I had done ZERO research on them. When I got it home (and that's a story I posted) I found this forum. Boy was I depressed to learn about EVERYTHING that can go wrong....like the rear view mirror that leaks and ruins your upholstery! Nikasil wear, timing tensioners, ABS modules, TPS on the throttle body, etc., etc. However; I did my own timing chain job (I rent the tools BTW) and have had no other problems except an occational ABS/Trac Cont Warning..I think I have a bad wheel sensor cable--$50. There are some guys like, Rev Sam, who've been plauged with problems...oh yeah another one..his fuel pump siphons gas after it sits so he added a valve (like a diode). So I guess you never know...thus either year can have problems. I'm not advocating a MY01 over a MY03 per say..but having a Super Charged car kinda makes up for the frustrations of ownership...I guess it's an emotional thing.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cheaperts
First a little background, new member here, but have lurked for a long time. I've wanted an XK8/R for the last decade, and thanks to the wonders of depreciation I am on the verge of buying one! But...I've read and read about the issues on the 97-02's thinking this is what I could buy, but I have 2 vehicles scouted out and now I need the forum's thoughts, opinions.
car # 1 2001 XKR 38,000 miles one owner,Navy/royal blu pristine conditon $19K
car # 2 2003 XK8 41,000 miles one owner, Topaz/gold also pristine $19K

My gut says the 2003 is the smart play, 2 yrs newer, 4.2, 6 speed tranny, lot less to worry about

But that XKR is gorgeous! And I love the thought of the POWER!!!!!!

PLEASE advise if I'm wrong in thinking the 2003 is much less problem prone, hoping to wrap the deal the next few days but I hate to make a huge mistake!!!

I welcome ALL input, and apologize in advance for all my future, stupid questions!
I agree with the posts that show that you may not see that much of a difference in a 4.2 NA vs. a 4.0 SC car. I still decided to the get the SC model of the XJ, but it is generally up to you to make that final decision. I think that you really have to drive them. As stated, pull the carfax's for them, and see if either of them have extensive service history reports. It may not show everything, but it gives an indication of the history and whether or not the owners used the dealer for service. Also, I would pull the Autocheck on them as well as you find different things on each, and the combined history can be helpful. Also, if they are from dealers, do your research on them as well, as that is equally important in the decision.

In the end, it is up to you to decide which one you will feel best about, moves you the most, etc., etc.

I think you will love either way you go.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Cheaperts- this is your father speaking (75+) - go for your heart here - the one that appeals the most! But don't dither - or look back - if you don't make a decision soon, both of these beauties will belong to someone else! Hugs, DaleD

Last edited by DaleD; 03-27-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 AM

Called the Palm Beach Jaguar dealer just now, the XKR was registered in Palm Beach all it's life, and they said they did all the service on it, nothing remarkable in it's history, they DID NOT ever servicethe chains/tensioners, so we know it's original crap tensioners, 38,000 miles and 10 years old, should I be terrified to drive this thing 800 miles from Alabama to Tulsa Oklahoma??? Am I overly parnoid from Jag-forum-over-readulation????

Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

I would say the risk is minimal if the car was well maintained. I drove my '01 XKR 1000 miles from Mississippi to Virginia when I purchased it with 58K on the clock. When I replaced my tensioners they had cracks in the bodies, but were still basically intact.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Called the Palm Beach Jaguar dealer just now, the XKR was registered in Palm Beach all it's life, and they said they did all the service on it, nothing remarkable in it's history, they DID NOT ever servicethe chains/tensioners, so we know it's original crap tensioners, 38,000 miles and 10 years old, should I be terrified to drive this thing 800 miles from Alabama to Tulsa Oklahoma??? Am I overly parnoid from Jag-forum-over-readulation????
Go for the XKR. I have owned a 97 XK8 Coupe before my 2000 XKR. The extra power is beyond nice. ALL XKs should be Supercharged!!

I changed my Secondary Tensioners at 31k miles and they were in perfect condition. But they really have to be changed to avoid future problems. The plastic used on the original Tensioners shrinks with time and heat and causes several failures, leading to expensive repairs. You should not have any problems on the trip home, but use the original Tensioners as a bargaining point for a price reduction.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I upgraded from an 8 to an R just because I wanted that extra HP and power. Not to mention the front louvres are great looking too

Tough choice though. I think I'd go with your gut, like a lot of people have been saying.

Another thought is the seller. Some dealers and people are harder to deal with than others. If you get a real good feel for one over the other and you really trust that one, then that might help to make a difficult decision a little easier.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:43 AM

Can the seller recommend someone to do the work for you prior to driving it home? Just a thought really. Fact of the matter is this car is an unknown so anything from a tire to a hose could go on the trip home. Look at it as an adventure and make sure you have towing insurance before you take delivery of the car.
Just my .02 cents on the 4.2. For me that car is plenty fast and my brother in law (who drives a Porsche turbo) agrees. Between the weight torque and hp he basically calls my car "A Beast". One thing I learned early on Its not all about HP its the right combination of things that determines performance. Good Luck You are gonna LOVE IT!

Old 03-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As quoted by Fla Steve
I'm not advocating a MY01 over a MY03 per say..but having a Super Charged car kinda makes up for the frustrations of ownership...I guess it's an emotional thing.
I have to agree with FLA Steve above.You need to drive both, I originally was looking at xk8's until I drove the R That's when I made my decision to purchase an XKR The difference between the two was like night and day. It took me about two years of watching when I finally found mine, a one owner out of Dallas, flew down and drove back 1000 miles. The previous owner had addressed the main issues. The car has been very reliable for the last two years with only the convertible hydraulic lines needing to be replaced.
one thing for certain these cars will bring a smile and a good feeling to you every time you drive or see it. You won't see three or four of them everytime you pull up to a stop sign either (like a Corvette).

Old 03-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RCSign

The difference between the two was like night and day.
Comparing the 4.0 NA to the 4.0 SC..yes. Comparing the 4.2 NA 6 speed with the 4.0 SC...not quite as dramatic.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I just bought my 2000 XKR coupe about a month ago. Great car. Like many here I've owned a lot of great cars. I always buy the best version and most loaded car I can find. Worst thing you can do is buy the XK8 which is a great car by any standard, but always think about the features you don't have. The mere fact that you want a XKR means to me you won't be happy until you get one.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 PM

My '99 had 39K miles on it when I got it and original tensioners. All other issues were attended to besides that. I am now at 65K miles and still running with the original tensioners. I will be getting them done this summer, which will be close to 72K miles at that time.

I think you would be just fine, but if you are that unsure, simply make that part of your negotiations and build it into the deal.

Quick Reply: Help! Opinions before purchase!!!