XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High idle after throttle cable adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 01:40 AM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Default High idle after throttle cable adjustment

I check this every year, and found yesterday it needed a centimetre adjustment (2 rings) after a couple years of not neededing to do anything. After adjusting I slowly floored the accelerator pedal to kick down for a few seconds (twice) with the ignition at 2, before turning off and firing up. However, the revs surge to over 2000 on initial start up, and settle to around 1100 after a few minutes. What's going wrong? Is there some thing else I need to do after (or during) adjustment, or have I overtightened the throttle cable - even tho the pulley in the throttle cable housing only just about hits stop?

Tried searching but haven't yet been able to find a thread that covers this particular problem.

Thanks

Last edited by Redeye; 06-29-2017 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-29-2017, 05:50 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You may need to do a hard reset and then have it learn new idle values.

To do a hard reset, see here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ect-faq-74146/

For re-learning the idle values do this:
. Start the engine and allow to idle until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
. Switch the engine off.
. Start the engine and allow to idle for approximately two minutes (this will allow the ECM to learn the idle values).
. Apply and hold the brake pedal, select drive and allow the engine to idle for a further two minutes.
. Drive the vehicle for approximately five miles/eight kilometers of varied driving to enable the ECM to complete its learning strategy.

The following users liked this post:
Redeye (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 12:36 AM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Good suggestion. I'll give it a go today - if it ever stops raining!

Thanks