XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Operation Becoming Louder

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hood Operation Becoming Louder

I have noticed over the past few months that the hood operation is getting louder. It is usually at the beginning of the cycle when the roof is being raised. It then happens again towards the end of the cycle when the roof is almost closed. It sounds like hydraulic action and it is very audible and getting worse. Is this something I should start investigating whether it be changing the fluid or topping up the fluid or looking for a kinked hose or installing a resistor? It appears that the hood is still operating normally. Yes I had the green shower a couple of years ago but the dealer installed a T fitting and never had an issue since.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

You say ' It sounds like hydraulic action' - do you mean it sounds like fluid flowing through a pipe or is it pump motor noise?

Is the action of the top slower than it was ?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

This has happened to me on several occasions since I replaced everything after several "green" showers. Each time the hydraulic fluid level was too low and adding a bit to top it off removed the "straining" sound. Obviously, over a period of several months, I am losing a very small amount of hydraulic fluid that needs to be topped off on infrequent intervals, but this has corrected the situation immediately.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:12 PM

It is a whining noise. I checked the fluid level and it is indeed low. Upon further investigation I just discovered a leak at the fitting behind the right rear speaker. It never leaked inside the car. It is wet under the car so you can see where it began leaking. Never left a puddle so I never noticed it. The leak is at the fitting where it screws into the hood lift cylinder. Can’t tell if the leak is at the cylinder itself or the “L” shaped fitting. Any chance of just tightening that I wonder or do I replace the entire hose and fitting?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Usially it is the seal in the lift cylinder when it leaks down there. It could also be the hose (the most likely place to break is at the fitting). If you are very lucky it is just a loose fitting, but unfortunately that is not ususally the case.

Fortunately we now have a rebuilder for the cylinder which can save you a lot of money and give you longer lasting seals: Jaguar - Top Hydraulics, Inc

Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Usually it is the seal in the lift cylinder when it leaks down there. It could also be the hose (the most likely place to break is at the fitting). If you are very lucky it is just a loose fitting, but unfortunately that is not ususally the case.
You were right on. I looked even closer and the hoses to the lift cylinders are dry. It is wet around the fitting. Funny enough I looked on the other side just to compare. The other side is leaking in the exact same spot. Oh my.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lift Cylinder Rework Service

I just dealt with the same leaking lift cylinder issue and wanted to let you know about the great experience that I had with getting the cylinders rebuilt through Top Hydraulics, Inc. I found them through some Google searches. They rework each cylinder for $150 and guarantee them for 3 years.

I sent mine in via USPS Priority Mail and they turned them around in one day. The rebuilt cylinders are in and working great. With all the other repair expenses with my Jag, it was nice to get through this one without having to spend $900 for new parts or risk putting a used part in the car.

I am not in any way affiliated with Top Hydraulics but would encourage you to check them out.

XK8 XKR Convertible main lift cylinder upgrade service - Top Hydraulics, Inc