XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to disable parking sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default How to disable parking sensors?

Apologize if this is covered before, tried searching but any of my terms come up with way too many results to wade thru.

I have a 2001 XK8 coupe. Wife hates the look of parking sensors in bumper and hates it worse when machines beep at her. So... I had the bumper removed, sensors removed, holes filled, bumper re painted and re-installed. I should mention she indulges me in a LOT of things so this is really a minor form of paying her back in a good way.

Everything is good except when you first start the car there is a solid audible warning beep for about 4-5 seconds. Only once per ignition cycle. I believe the car is telling me the parking sensors are not working. Body guy says he did not cut any wires, just unplugged the actual sensors and tied the loose wires up and out of way.

What's the easiest way to disable this alarm? Three things come to mind. First, locate speaker and disconnect it, but not sure if it used for anything else. Second, if there is a module that controls the parking sensors, locate that and try unplugging it. Third, is if I bring it to dealer or Indy that has right computer, can they disable it thru a setting.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Behind the armrest, somewhat facing the backseat, is a leather cover which pulls straight up and off, just a friction fit. Under it is the speaker that beeps for the backup sensors. If indeed the noise you are hearing is this system, you could just unplug the little sensor. I have to say I find it interesting she doesn't like the sensors; I love them, and my wife has a backup camera in her (non jaguar) car and said she wishes she had backup sensors and warning like I do...anyhow, good luck.

The following users liked this post:
mbalce (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 07:21 PM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default That did it!

Thank you so much! That worked perfectly and I love 60 second fixes!!

And yea, I have a backup camera as well as front and rear sensors in my car and do like and appreciate them, though it is nice when you have both they give you a switch to turn the whole system off in a situation where they are annoying. Everyone is different though and I do like the clean look of the bumper without the sensors.