XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does Headlights AUTO mode work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts
Unhappy How does Headlights AUTO mode work?

Hi all.

I live in Sweden and here it is mandatory to have the headlights turned on all the time while driving.

I thought putting the headlight switch in auto mode would do just this, but it does not. So apparently the Jag guys made something else with that.

How does the auto mode suppose to work and have any one made a modification to have the lights turn on automatic while the key is turned to "drive".

XKR 2002, Imported from Holland. (Originally from France)

Old 05-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Automode has a sensor that detects outside light conditions and turns the headlights on or off accordingly.

Not aware of any setting that would leave the lights on all the time, but shut off when you turn off the car. However, search the threads for DRL (daytime running lights). Lots of guys have added mods to set up LEDs to work with the OEM headlamps.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

There is an option for DRLs but you would need a dealer tool to turn it on. A quick and dirty solution is to put the lights in shot, and cover the sensor behind the mirror with black electrical tape so the car always thinks it is night.

The following users liked this post:
zecretw (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 02:18 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

French specification, like UK specification, does not require headlamps to operate all the time. The AUTO function is designed to operate in low ambient light levels.

The AUTO sensor is in the back of the rear view mirror. If you cover it with masking tape this will duplicate low light conditions and the headlamps should come on whenever the engine is started if the rotary collar is set to AUTO mode.

Graham

zecretw (05-24-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Unhappy Seems broken

Thanks for all your replies.

It seems the function is broken as auto mode keeps the lights off also at night.

Time for some forum diving and tinkering.
If anyone has an idea, it is welcome.
The green light in the rear view mirror is lit and no mushroom cloud of dragons blood either.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Usually you would need to look around for a replacement rear view mirror module to get the photo sensor back working. In your case you don't want the sensor to work. We might be able to sort out what does what if there is a schematic available of the internal wiring of the mirror assembly. Odds are there are going to be connections available where the mirror attaches that when connected (shorted) together or when one gets 12 volts, tells the lighting control outside light status.
You are likely an internal jumper away from where you want to be if we can:
1) find the INTERNAL schematic for the mirror assembly.
2) find a guru on the forum that knows how to open it up.

Replacement of the sensor involves the whole assembly and new is on the order of $650 US. It seems a shame to buy one because you need a sensor, only to defeat the sensor.

Does anyone out there have access to the internal schematic for the mirror assembly? I don't find my way through the JTIS stuff as well as I would like.
Together, we may be able to figure the easy way to fool the system and offer a solution to a common failure at the same time.

Mine was covered on an extended warranty but next time won't be. If I had the option of running safer with lights on all the time or shelling out for a new mirror assembly, I would be looking for a mod that solves your problem, going along with the lights on all the time before I laid out the cash for a new mirror.

Big question...do you have time to play or is this a RIGHT NOW problem?

Kind Regards,
Steven

Old 05-26-2014, 01:50 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by 1avguy
Lots of text..
Kind Regards,
Steven

Hi!
Thanks for helping me out. It is kind of a problem as I allways need the lights on and I never remember to turn them on and that bothers the law.

I bought the car as a pet Project so this is something I will spend time but not a lot of Money on.

I am quite skilled in electronics, in mechanics ..not so much but I know how to use a screwdriver.

I am sure we can solve this together quite "easy".

/Daniel

Old 05-26-2014, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Stumbled across this, I think your over the pond so there'd be some shipping but this is alot cheaper than list..
2003-2006 Jaguar XK8 XKR Rear View Mirror w/o Compass HJF3133AF
13d 11h left $174.95 or Best offer

Old 05-26-2014, 07:49 AM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

I did a load of research on this a couple of months ago following failure of my mirror. The Donnelly mirror with auto headlamp function is unique to Jaguar - other versions of the same mirror without that function were fitted to(amongst others) Acura and some Landrover products. They are available at much less cost than the same Jaguar sourced item - have a look at the mirror thread on the forum. Have a look on Gus's website and download the electrical guide for your model year - it will show which wire outputs from the mirror to control the auto headlamps( and also, where fitted, the dimming side mirrors). The wiring colours change year to year so probably build date of the car is important. I can't remember whether the signal to the headlamp function goes as a feed or ground - check the schematic. From that you should be able to figure out how to "fool" the system - I don't think you will need the internal diagram for the mirror. If you do need to open up the mirror it can be done by carefully cutting and prising along the seam line - it's a thermal weld at the factory, not glued.

waltwagner (10-27-2023)
Old 05-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

batroute, gives way cool advice.

If they bring the voltage or contact closure initiated by the mirror sensor out to the connector, he should be able to cut to the chase quickly and without (potentially) destroying the mirror in the process.

His advice follows the "gut feel" they would use a circuit that delivers voltage under dark conditions back to the mode selector switch, making the sensor act like a contact closure between the 12V power to the mirror and another terminal coming back into the harness at the mirror connector. They might ground a conductor to accomplish this, but I doubt it.

Daniel,

If your handy in the electronics department, it looks like there is a good path to follow. Let me know if there is a part you need help with.

If you make the bypass connection on the car side of the connection between the mirror and the car, the car would stay legal if you need to change the mirror out for another reason. If you make the modification to the mirror side of the connector, the modification can be reversed by installing a new mirror if you should sell it out of the country and want to restore function.

With that in mind, that is a great price on the mirror jandmyers found. Might want to jump on that. Check to make sure color matches and what year it comes from if there are year to year changes in wiring as warned.

Kind Regards,
Steven

Old 05-27-2014, 09:11 AM

It feels like I have searched all of the interweb but I cant find electrical drawings of this car.. I installed JTIS and looked in there but nowhere there seems to be any wiring Pictures.

Does anyone have a link for this? Please!

/Daniel

Old 05-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Try this - download the electrical guide

zecretw (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

In JTIS the electrical guide is the next button right from the service button.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Here in Canada we have the same regulation, running lights on all the time. It requires a dealer scan tool to set them to on. I took mine to a dealer down in Maine, they turned on the daytime running lights and made me a latte. Both were free.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:43 PM

Looking at the diagram at page 95 at this Lovely document: http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa.../jagxk2002.pdf

It seems that the mirror is setting the pin RF2-5 to ground to enable lights in automatic. This goes to the automatic switch in the lighting stalk (SC2-1).

However, just connecting it to ground would keep the lights on att all times, not only while in ingnition mode as the lights can be turned on manually. I need a"ground on ignition" wire from somewhere. Ofcourse it could be solved with a relay, but then I could just go to the dealer and have it reprogrammed for cash..

It would be nice to have a switch to change between DRL and true AUTO mode.

If the mirror fails and randomly sets it to ground even whith the car turned off, this could be the reason why some experience powerdrain when keeping the stalk in auto.

I feel there is a flaw in my reasoning somewhere, I just can't find it.
It would be Lovely to have an internal mirror circuitboard to experiment on.
A diargram of it or just Pictures would be greate as I need to fix the sensor Circuit.

Thoughts anyone?