XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

How to eliminate this pop up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:38 AM
Received 569 Likes on 275 Posts
Default How to eliminate this pop up?

This pop up is useless for my purposes. Upper right hand corner and appears to be site related. How & Why does it interrupt this site and how can I eliminate it? It blocks or covers the sign in area.When I do scan, it appears again. My ad blocker prevents the site from showing any text. Kinda endless loop, can't sign in due to the pop up blocking the sign area. I can ask question if I need answer w/o this annoying pop up. :-(

Last edited by kstevusa; 10-30-2017 at 09:03 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by kstevusa:
GBCat (10-30-2017), michaelh (10-30-2017), Orthodixie (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 04:11 PM
Received 201 Likes on 103 Posts

How long has this been going on? Which internet browser are you using? Install another browser, (disabling popups), come back to the forum and see if it is still there. It that works, you have your culprit. Another option is to try restoring the computer to a time prior to the pop up's first occurrence and see if that eliminates it. Beyond that, hire a couple of priests to perform an exorcism... Good luck!

Old 10-30-2017, 05:19 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Please list your Operating System and Version of Windows you are running. Also which Ad blocker are you using. Allot of blockers have a basic block list that is run, on mine, ABP, or AdBlockPlus for FireFox 56+ had one list when I installed it and I had to add three more to it to sufficiently block all the crap that is out there, and provide tracking protection as well without breaking the site.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:24 PM

Also if you are projecting from a laptop to a big screen monitor, my monitor is 48", can screw with the page layout as well, if this is the case, adjust your page zoom level to 100%, or lower/higher until you can view everything on the page. Or, your default zoom level may have been changed at some point and needs to be re-set.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:47 AM

using Moz. Firefox latest Ed. and IE (up to date). The pop up indicates "Jaguar Forums". It obscures the sign in area. Been using "Ad Block" utility. Also have "Privacy Badger" to block unwanted cookies. The annoying pop up began several months ago and the Ad Block handled it for a while. I ran a scan with Spybot and the lasted trouble began. The Forums page is blank and show Jaguar 37 and the site logo only. Have to pause Ad Block to get the threads. Guess I can try IE and see if that helps. I expect a few ads but OVERLOAD is too much. The World does not have to know what I'm doing at any given time. Need a little privacy. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 10-31-2017, 05:52 PM

Try using FireFox with ABP (AdBlockPlus) Legacy version 2.9.1 add-on from the add-on menu in FF. The new version of Ad Block is designed for the new version of FF 57 Quantum which has yet to be released, I am running FF 56+ with the legacy version 2.9.1 after having to uninstall the new version due to conflicts, as it is intended for FF 57 and will be included in the new roll out which is when ABP 2.9.1 will be replaced automatically.

Also make sure you are allowing 'session cookies', and allowing Images to load, these should be default but can be changed.

The following users liked this post:
kstevusa (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 08:49 AM

Thanks for info and replys. I upgraded to FF Q Ver. 57+. Paused Ad Bloc and left Privacy Badger on. Also tried IE earlier. The upgrade to FF Quantum and pausing Ad Bloc worked. Must have just been come disabled cookies that prevented the site from recognizing me. That did not change the fact that the incident was ANNOYING. Item Resolved

The following users liked this post:
03 XKR (11-02-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

I got a new computer and had the same problem. I use SeaMonkey and changed the zoom level to 100% and that made the log in boxes visible. After logging in and saving password, I made sure that the site could store cookies. Subsequent logins did not display the popup. Addblock Plus Did NOT stop the Popup before I logged in.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by kstevusa
Thanks for info and replys. I upgraded to FF Q Ver. 57+. Paused Ad Bloc and left Privacy Badger on. Also tried IE earlier. The upgrade to FF Quantum and pausing Ad Bloc worked. Must have just been come disabled cookies that prevented the site from recognizing me. That did not change the fact that the incident was ANNOYING. Item Resolved
I upgraded to Quantum also although it is still in beta, with a release date of November 14, all the bugs should be quite shook out by now. I am also using 'AdBlocker Ultimate', which claims 'no whitelists', and 'no soft ads', added a couple of filter lists from the drop down menu, including 'Anti-AdBlock Killer' so I will get no sh*t from websites that do not like that their annoying Rainbow banners no longer infect my webpages. The only 'ad' that appears on this site is the Haynes Manual downloads 'static JPEG' on the sidebar. The vendor directory title under Featured Sponsors is still there, but nothing appears under it, yet I still have access to all the services on the 'sidebar' if I click it, should I need to look at the ads for services or for phone numbers etc.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
I got a new computer and had the same problem. I use SeaMonkey and changed the zoom level to 100% and that made the log in boxes visible. After logging in and saving password, I made sure that the site could store cookies. Subsequent logins did not display the popup. Addblock Plus Did NOT stop the Popup before I logged in.
Paul,
Did you add any filter lists to the adblocker? Some come with a 'default list', but that list let's some advertising through that are deemed 'soft ads', on ABP, there is also a checkbox on the bottom of the filter download page to allow some 'non-intrusive' advertising, or to block it all, this checkbox needs to be unchecked to stop all the ads, and with ABP you need to have added at least Peter Lowe's Easy List, and Fanboy's Annoyance List to your Filter List Group, to stop all the Facebook, Twitter, Snap, etc., garbage that clutters up the page.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 XKR
Paul,
Did you add any filter lists to the adblocker? Some come with a 'default list', but that list let's some advertising through that are deemed 'soft ads', on ABP, there is also a checkbox on the bottom of the filter download page to allow some 'non-intrusive' advertising, or to block it all, this checkbox needs to be unchecked to stop all the ads, and with ABP you need to have added at least Peter Lowe's Easy List, and Fanboy's Annoyance List to your Filter List Group, to stop all the Facebook, Twitter, Snap, etc., garbage that clutters up the page.
I made no changes to the default settings. Some adds still get through, but most are suppressed to my satisfaction.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,405 Likes on 1,559 Posts

It appeared a few months back, presumably with a vBulletin software update and it's a pain; it isn't a true popup so difficult for the ad blockers to catch. Disabling Javascript will kill it, athough unfortunately that also breaks some of the useful stuff.

The only real solution is for Internet Brands' coders to either move it to a more sensible place or, better still, remove it.

It's controlled by a session cookie '3932_qbox_expanded', which hides it if you click the '-' or log in - which is really useful when it covers the login dialogs

Old 11-02-2017, 05:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I use Chrome. I use these extensions all at the same time:
Adblock Plus
Adblock Pro
Pop up blocker for Chrome
Popup Blocker Pro

No pop ups on here at all. And I have no idea whatever other ads are blocked, I don't see them.

I have a variety of other extensions for other specific sites.

On my android phone I also have some blockers. I've even managed to block all of Google's advertising that infests every page you look at.