XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How low is the front on a 2005?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Question How low is the front on a 2005?

Hi,

A strange request....

I've been searching for several months for the 'perfect' XK8 or XKR convertible. So far I've limited my search to 03/04 models. This is because I want the 4.2 motor, and various improvements that came along at the same time. I'd also consider an '05, but discounted it because of that very low end.

I live at the top of steep hill, and even my old Sebring convertible (don't laugh - it's a (very) poor mans XK8 convertible!) occasionally scrapes as I leave the highway to start up the hill.

However, it seems that there's a lot more '05s out there, so I'm thinking of looking at those - but want to know I'm not going to scrape paint every time I leave the house!

Does anyone have a drawing (or could measure?) how low the front skirt is on an 05 XK8 (or XKR - it doesn't look quite so low), so I can compare it to the Sebring. I think I just need to know the height of the lowest point on the front valence, and how far that is from the center of the front wheels horizontally, so I can see if the metal is going to hit the road....

Thanks in advance....

-Steve

Old 02-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

May I suggest that you test drive the car to see if it will pass your driveway.

My 2001 XK8 already does scrape the underside of the front when going in some driveways.

It is sad when that happens and it does not have any front skirt!

Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Low in an understatement! I remember the first time I looked at the 2005 XKR that I now own. One of the first things the owner told me starting out on the test drive was to watch out leaving the driveway since the front is so low. I laughed since I had driven up in my 1995 Corvette which, I thought, had an extremely low end and I was used to navigating away from areas that looked 'scrapeable'. I had entered and left his driveway in the Corvette without any scraping but, sure enough, the Jaguar scraped. The front bumper comes down much lower than you think!

The trick is to enter/leave driveways and other moderately steep areas on a sharp angle rather than straight on. Still, sometimes you just can't avoid it and I grimace every time I hear the front valence scrape on the road.

Still, this would not be a reason to eliminate the 2005/2006 models from consideration. You really cannot see the resulting scrapes unless you get down on the ground to see the bottom of the valence.

Doug

Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by gchin
May I suggest that you test drive the car to see if it will pass your driveway.

My 2001 XK8 already does scrape the underside of the front when going in some driveways.

It is sad when that happens and it does not have any front skirt!
Wow - I thought the pre-2005 models didn't look too low!

I did think of test driving one and bringing it home for a 'test', but unfortunately I have yet to find a single XK8 or XKR for sale within 20 miles of here (let alone one I could bring home to 'test' on the hill)

-Steve

Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have found that going over the hump at a snails pace, usually, avoids the dreaded scraping noise.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by 05xkrconv
I have found that going over the hump at a snails pace, usually, avoids the dreaded scraping noise.
The good news is that we don't have speed bumps round here!

Unfortunately, my problem is that I have to pull straight off the highway onto a local road that goes up at a very steep grade. Hang around making the turn and someone is going to rear-end you, but if you hit it fast, you're going to scrape the front - same coming down, if you're not careful

The asphalt at the bottom of the hill is covered in 'grooves' where cars have scraped it, and gets replaced every summer....

(My driveway really does need grading as well once all this snow has gone, but I've factored that into the budget!)

-Steve

Old 02-17-2011, 10:28 PM

...Ok just measured the Sebring, which can make it without scraping if I take it carefully.

Front valance is 7" off the road, and 30" from the center of the front wheels.

Can anyone tell me how that compares with an '05?

Thanks....

Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

I just quickly measured my '05 and the lowest part of the valence is about 5.5" to 6" from the ground. The earlier models have a shallower front bumper so there should be more clearance with those.

Doug

Old 02-18-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I just quickly measured my '05 and the lowest part of the valence is about 5.5" to 6" from the ground. The earlier models have a shallower front bumper so there should be more clearance with those.

Doug
Thanks Doug! Unfortunately that's a little lower than the Sebring, so it puts me back to an 04. I wonder - is there any chance you can also measure the distance along the ground from the center of the front wheels to the lowest point on the valence? (because my problem is the hill, not a 'bump'. If that distance is shorter than the 30" on the sebring I might be able to get away with it. Time for some old school trigonometry!)

-Steve

Old 02-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I consider the front valence as kind of sacrificial. I have gotten a lot more careful and rarely bottom out the front now, but I still figure that valence, with its little rubber strip of a bumper, is there to take the brunt of the beating and can be replaced every couple of years for $125.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I have a very steep drop down from the road to the garage and have had to hammer out about 1/4" of the pavement (sidewalk) at the top (road level) to stop the exhaust scraping, and put a steel plate like they use to cover holes in the road to stop the front scraping as I reverse into the garage at the bottom.

Having said that, all my previous cars (2009 Golf GTI, 2007 VW Eos, 2005 BMW 330...) have had exactly the same problem. The 2005 XKR isn't any worse than other cars, IMHO.

I can measure the front if you like - do you want the ground clearance of the lowest part under the front bumper?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Just to confirm Doug's information I measured the distance on the front valence of my 2005 XKR Coupe and it is right at 5.5 inches from the ground at the lowest point. I too have learned to park well back from concrete stops and to take speed bumps at a slow roll.
I was driving in Miami, Florida last week and there are lot's of potholes, speed bumps and elevated turn ins that pose a challenge for low valence clearance.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

When I get the chance I will try and measure the distance from the wheels to the front of the valence (I guess you are looking for something like 'overhang'?) However, many cars these days (even many sportier sedans) have front bumpers and valences that are similarly low to give a sporty and aerodynamic look. The downside is scraping at driveways, potholes, steep changes in street slope, and hitting the low concrete stops at parking lots. Next time you are walking through a parking lot or some place where there are lots of cars to see, take a look at the fronts and I am sure you will see scrapes and gouges for most cars having low bumpers/valences.

Doug

Old 02-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

One way to solve the parking lot bumper problem is to back in. The rear end clearance is higher than the front end (at least it is on my 2000 XK8 with a stock exhaust). As for potholes, arrgh!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Frog
I have a very steep drop down from the road to the garage and have had to hammer out about 1/4" of the pavement (sidewalk) at the top (road level) to stop the exhaust scraping, and put a steel plate like they use to cover holes in the road to stop the front scraping as I reverse into the garage at the bottom.

Having said that, all my previous cars (2009 Golf GTI, 2007 VW Eos, 2005 BMW 330...) have had exactly the same problem. The 2005 XKR isn't any worse than other cars, IMHO.

I can measure the front if you like - do you want the ground clearance of the lowest part under the front bumper?
Yes - though, I also need the distance from the center of the front wheels to that lowest point (horizontally) - as someone else mentioned, I think that's called the 'overhang'. The idea is to see what the steepest 'up' I can deal with (It would be good to have this for an XKR; I'm hoping to view a 05 XK8 tomorrow, and will try and measure myself.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Old 02-18-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I consider the front valence as kind of sacrificial. I have gotten a lot more careful and rarely bottom out the front now, but I still figure that valence, with its little rubber strip of a bumper, is there to take the brunt of the beating and can be replaced every couple of years for $125.
Looking at the front end, I thought you'd have to replace the entire piece that came up to the headlamps? (i.e. the piece that has the holes in for the grills/foglights). . If I can get away with replacing a $125 part every couple of years, 2005 Xk8/R, here I come!!

Tomorrow I plan to look at a 05 Xk8 - (relatively close, but still 40 miles away) and make measurements, but am still hoping someone can do the same for the XKR.

-Steve

Old 02-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

If you look under the front bumper, you will see the separate black plastic valence. The valence has a rubber strip that appears was designed to 'somewhat' absorb the impact. Eventually the strip wears or tears away, hence the $125 replacement. Just a few simple fasteners to replace it.

The XKRs (and possibly some XK8s) have an oil cooler up front also. It is considerably higher than the valence, but it is possible to strike it on a very steep driveway or parking block. It is a simple matter in 15 minutes with basic tools (posted on this forum) to raise it about another inch to inch and a half and greatly reduce the risk there.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-18-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:18 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

OK, I took some measurements for you, Steve: height of the rubber strip below the valence from the ground varies between 15 and 16cm. The horizontal distance from the centre of the wheel to level with the centre of the rubber strip (i.e. level with centre of the car where the growler badge is, but measuring straight forwards from the road wheel in line with the car) is approx. 84cm.

Now I suppose you just have to convert all that to prehistoric inches

Last edited by Frog; 02-19-2011 at 04:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
thefixer (02-19-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

I confirm it is about 33" from the center of the wheels to the front at/near the low point (give or take).

If you are fairly careful and have only the occasional scrapes, then maybe every so often you can find one of those guys who do mobile bumper touch-ups and respray the underside. On the other hand, you cannot really see the damage unless you get down on your hands and knees and look underneath the bumper. The so-called back plastic valence piece is really useless in terms of protecting the areas of the underside of the body-colored bumper in front against scrapes.

Doug

The following users liked this post:
thefixer (02-19-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
The so-called back plastic valence piece is really useless in terms of protecting the areas of the underside of the body-colored bumper in front against scrapes.

Doug
Doug- I have to respectfully disagree. The valence sits lower than the bumper, and absorbs most of the driveway ramp and traffic hump type impacts, especially if the rubber strip is still intact. That is not to say you cannot damage the painted bumper also, but that more likely will sustain damage from parking stop blocks.

Quick Reply: How low is the front on a 2005?