Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove "R" shift knob?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 08:25 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts
Default How to remove "R" shift knob?

Hey all,

I don't need to do it right now, but I've been wondering how does one go about removing a leather "R" shift knob. My carbon fiber model has one and I can't find any set screws or wrenching points. Anyone know how it comes off?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-21-2017, 08:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to take mine off to replace the dial plate. The knob is simply screwed on to a thread at the end of the shifter stick.
Mine was so stuck that the knob separated from the long nut inside when I turned it counter clockwise to get it off. I had to remove it by turning it until the nut came out of the knob. From here I could remove the nut from the shifter stick. There was very little damage to the inside of the knob. To replace it, I simply glued the nut back into the knob and screwed it on again. . Works perfectly
-Baywin

The following users liked this post:
Stamford (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 07:59 AM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

I suspected as much but thought there would be flat spots on the nut to grab with a wrench. Well, I hope I never have to remove it, anyway.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

+1 with Baywin. Look for the wrenches flat spot on the black metal stylized nut below the knob. When assembling you screw the wood knob down and this nut up. When the R wood knob is just about all the way down and is properly oriented the nut comes up from the bottom to lock the knob in place.

Hypothetically they may have left a few threads showing below this nut. In which case you could cover it in masking tape to prevent scratches and use a adjustable wrench to screw it downwards loosening the opposing grip on the wooden R knob.

John

Old 08-24-2017, 04:07 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

My R knob was completely stripped and had to be forced out.