XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i can't sleep...2005 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

But PrettyBluefin, Aston Martin's Sea Storm is "Gray" but if that is what you want! That's what you will get! Will that change the color of the Alcantara? or will it still be Black? It's nice to have WA back from the Surgeon....Now it's my time Guys....I would be in for a Laminectomy next week but my Surgeon broke his finger 2 or 3 weeks ago and all surgery is off until September.....WA knows what I'm going thru right now with my Legs and Back....I can hardly get out of the Texas Coupe.....It is a real job! WA, I'm glad you found the water leak in Kat! She will be a happy girl when she gets all dried out! You both need to buy some of the spray Paint that I bought....It's great and matches-up with the Ebony really well....It will get rid of those stone chips in a hurry...What I do is wet-sand the lower Nose Piece and under the Air Scoop where it hits the road or those darn Speed-bumps and spray the area with Ebony.....then wait about 30 minutes and spray it with Clear...when it dries it looks like new....It's called "Automotive Touch-up" and I order it on the internet....It's really good stuff!

Glad you are feeling better and back talking about Kat, Bill....and would you look at those pictures of PrettyBluefin...I think She is going into Modeling before you know it! I believe that's the first time I've seen the Owner of the Silver Coupe...How about you WA?

Billy Clyde

The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 02:48 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

hope your surgery went well!

sea storm is more of a deep grey blue and touch of emerald. you would have to pop in an Aston dealership to see in person. much like Quartz...I first didn't care for it, then I saw one in the light, beautiful!

Found that i LOVE Griot's car care products. Mainly the Spray wax (use it when drying the car off) and addicted to the Speed Shine. My car has not been washed with water in a month, yet it looks like it is freshly detailed with SS...it literally takes 5 minutes to do the coupe, and I do it about 3 times a week.

I can describe it as a very light as water lubricant that leaves a slick, but not sticky surface similar to after a good wax...rain rolls right off.

trick is get a very thick set of microfiber towels (dont be cheap!)
and buff in one direction, NOT in circles...for bird poo, spray it on and let it soak, then lift away.

The black tire shine in the can is the best. No sling, deep dark shiny glaze, that can be buffed with a towel for a matte look as well. If you want a super deep, wet look, add another coat...a million times better than anything else I have tried. Great on black trim!

I have been going to lots of car meetups and find that many of the high-end collectors use Griots and never use water unless the car is very dirty...

The Best of Show detailer would be great on dark or bright colors, as it is made to make the paint pop. My coupe is Platinum, so hides dirt well...

You can find their stuff at O'Reillys, Pep Boys etc...and they are a bit higher priced than the usual suspects...but so worth it.

The following 2 users liked this post by prettybluefin:
fmertz (08-31-2017), MRomanik (09-01-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

No Surgery until Mid-September! Looks like you have hit on something good.....I will try it....as soon as the water goes down! I'm OK but surrounded by water,,,,more or less! Can't get to the Office, so working here at the house....Thank God for computers

Billy Clyde

Old 08-31-2017, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
No Surgery until Mid-September! Looks like you have hit on something good.....I will try it....as soon as the water goes down! I'm OK but surrounded by water,,,,more or less! Can't get to the Office, so working here at the house....Thank God for computers

Billy Clyde
OH! totally slipped my mind about that. Hope that you did not sustain any damage. On the news, it looks horrific in some parts. Stay safe!

Old 08-31-2017, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
OH! totally slipped my mind about that. Hope that you did not sustain any damage. On the news, it looks horrific in some parts. Stay safe!
Which of the Griot's products do I need for my occasional use? and how do you use it? I'm not going to do it but maybe on a week-end.....! What product would you suggest?

I live in Cinco Ranch west of Houston in the Katy area....My Office is in far West Houston off of Hwy 6...about a mile south of IH-10....I can't get to my Office as the feeder Road from 10 to Hwy 6 is under water.......plus the lights are out at the Office.....Maybe next week.....This is a 1,000 year Flood....Never had 521/2" of rain anywhere in Texas...ever!! It started Friday night and stopped Wednesday early....Heavy-duty RAIN.....I live on the only high ground in the Area........

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 08-31-2017, 11:06 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Glad to hear Billy Clyde that you are safe! A disaster of such magnitude is incomprehensible to those of us not there, no matter how much we watch on the telly. Keep safe out there!

Granville

Old 09-01-2017, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Default Just a little Texas Thunderstorm!

Granville,

Thanks for your thoughts! I appreciate it! It's been quite a week, as it started late last Friday....The City of Rockport, on the Gulf down by Corpus Christi, is no more....Just about blown away by the 130+MPH Wind.....and then the Rain came with it.....Houston area was gifted with 52 1/2" of the wet stuff over Friday night, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday....Pretty much stopped on Wednesday and the Sun came out during the afternoon.....took a minute to remember what it was.....

I was watching the Weather Channel on Tuesday morning from Home and there was Jim Cantore standing in the middle of Hwy 6, across the street from my Office Building, interviewing people that had just been rescued from the Apartments a little over a block up the street....Now that is strange, as I look out my Office window at that same area most every day! There he was standing in knee deep water with a microphone in his hand.....Strange!!!

Hopefully, things will start back toward normal starting tomorrow but the Bayou is still full and so is the Barker Reservoir, which is "BIG"...

Thank God it's over!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 09-01-2017, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

Glad you're ok Billy. My sister in law lives in the Woodlands and says they are ok as well.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:54 PM

billy, i would say the "best of show" detailer might be good for you since your coupe is black...it is supposed to make dark and deep colors pop!
i only use the Speed Shine on a thick microfiber towel to remove dust and bird poo every other morning.
Use it in the shade...Get a bottle for your detailer, or you can do your whole coupe in 5-10 mins.

I am glad your property is safe!

Old 10-02-2017, 09:20 PM

just got the coupe back from my custom shop where they wrapped the fascia, steering wheel and window control areas in gunmetal CF by 3M

it is not glossy, it is a beautiful matte finish which actually looks and feels like brushed metal. slightly more grey-ish in the sunlight...but very black at night with a texture finish

(pic with window switch best shows texture, full length shot best shows color)

LOVE it. $250

Old 10-02-2017, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Question What else is there to do? Alcantara?

Hey, I can't leave you alone for a minute without you changing something on the Silver Flash....It appears that they had to cut the Wrap short of the crevices in the Dash....but I think I like it! Take some more photos from outside the passenger door looking across during the day, so it will show more of the contrast between the leather and the Wrap.....Bet it looks good with the Silver!

What color is the Alcantara headliner going to be?

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 10-03-2017, 11:12 AM

i lightened the pic so you can see the texture better.

taken in daylight, no filters. color is deep grey/black. still looking for a full leather wheel. in the meantime, I wrapped mine. leather is worn down in some spots, and touch up paint only helps slightly. anyone have experience with replacing worn leather on their steering wheel?

Old 10-03-2017, 11:16 AM

Billy,
since my current headliner is in excellent shape, they may just dye it jet black.

the next project is total repaint
(Aston Martin seastorm)...
and painting the calipers and replacing the worn Jaguar decals on them.

wheels will be touched up, they're in pretty great shape still

Old 10-03-2017, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Default Bunch of wet water!!!!

Originally Posted by MRomanik
Glad you're ok Billy. My sister in law lives in the Woodlands and says they are ok as well.
Thanks! MRomanik....I've been around this old World for a long time and I'll tell you Buddy, I've never seen it rain like that....Can you imagine, 52.5 inches in like 4 days....that's almost 4.5 feet of rain....The Dam that protects the Westside of Houston is called "Barker" reservoir got so full that it backed up into Cinco Ranch, west of the reservoir and Flooded over 500 $500,000.00 homes Maybe more!!...then the Guys at the Flood Control got concerned that the dam would break on the East side of the reservoir....so!!!they opened the spillway and Flooded most every house from Hwy 6 to Downtown......not Millions but probably Billions of dollars worth of damage.....$800 to $1 Million Homes got 4 to 6 feet of water inside.....
We will be rebuilding down here for years.....Need a construction job? We've got'em............

Billy Clyde in Houston

MRomanik (10-04-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Wow! Bluefin, that looks great! No more Wood! It looks super with the Silver but I'm not sure it would look that good on my Ebony......Your interior will be all Black and contrast really good with the Platinum.....Not so sure it would look good with all the Black on the coupe!!!!!!

Good for you girl!!!!!

Billy Clyde

prettybluefin (10-04-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 12:15 AM

Kinda overcast, but had to take a pic in front of this colorful wall.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:11 PM

today my Coupe went in for alot of cosmetic surgery...I hope to have it back in 7-10 days. TOTAL new look. exciting, and scary...

ps, Billy- a few black Alcantara's are being sacrificed for the sake of luxury

Old 12-14-2017, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Smile Those poor old Alcantaras!

today my Coupe went in for alot of cosmetic surgery...I hope to have it back in 7-10 days. TOTAL new look. exciting, and scary...

Women! Never satisfied, always changing things! What we'll probably wind-up with here is a light Purple Coupe with dark Purple stripes on the Bonnet, Top and Boot Lid with a bunch of Black Alcantaras on the Headliner........but it will look good! You can count on that....This is PrettyBluefins XKR Coupe and it always looks Great! Can't wait, Girl......Photos, Photos and more Photos!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...icon_hyper.gif

Billy Clyde in Houston

prettybluefin (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 10:29 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Lug nuts

I purchased 20 nuts from Adamesh Ltd in UK this year. They are the original Jaguar long reach style. Cost seventy nine pounds and were shipped air freight by DHL to Canada. Received them in less than a week. Prior to installation I buffed up the stainless steel nut covers and they look great. Remember to use the correct wheel nut socket size of 23mm and you will avoid rounding the heads off.

GB cat
2005 XKR with 20” Persang wheels

prettybluefin (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Where locally have you been bringing the car for all of this work? And out of curiosity why are you doing this? The car already looked great in the pics when you originally bought it.

Doug