Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Hate Windows!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default I Hate Windows!!

Well, the Windows on my computer anyway. But the windows on my 2000 XK8 are giving me fits as well. First the passenger door window wouldn't go up and seal after closing the door unless I did it with the switch, and now the driver's window goes back up after I open it so that it won't close unless I lower the window back down myself.

A tech said something about re programming or re sequencing them, etc. Any hope here?

Rusty in NC

Old 07-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

raise the window completely and continue to hold the switch until you feel the click and then lower completely and hold the switch until you feel the click and that should reset the windows. Just did it to mine a few weeks back

Old 07-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try the reprogramming them with the lower/raise switch, but if that doesn't work, you may have other issues...I've tried reprogramming my passenger side window on my 2002 XKR a half dozen times, and it still raises completely before the door is closed, leaving a very nice "scar" on the window trim (and my fear that I'm going to break the glass at some point!) Really sucks to have your passenger exit the car first, roll their window down, have them close the door, roll their window back up, and then shut the car down...so much for opening the door for dates... (granted, I've been married for over 10 years, but I still like to open the car door for the wife...)

Dave

Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

What I did first was to reprogram the window. To do this you push the window down button and hold until you hear or feel a click. Then push the window button for the window to close and hear or feel the click. This should be done when you are in the car and the door is closed. The window should operate properly by opening a slight bit when the door is opened and close when the door is closed.

This problem is often caused by a weak battery voltage. 10.5 or below they loose memory settings.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

The problem with the left driver's window sounds like the programming issue that Gus and Orlando described above. That's an easy fix. The problem with the passenger window sounds like a bad door sensor microswitch. I have that problem with my XK8 driver's door right now. The microswitch is in the latch assembly. It's a pain in the butt to remove the door panel, and then remove the latch assembly, but I've done it a couple of times now. All you need is a few hand tools. Somewhere around here I saw a part number for that microswitch. You can order the switch and get the passenger door working right again for just a few dollars and a couple of hours of your time.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:51 AM

A quick easy way to check that the micro switch in the door latch is working correctly:

With the drivers door closed and the car running open the passenger door. You should see the "Passenger Door Open" message on the instrument cluster. If you're not getting this message the problem is most likely the micro switch. I posted the Burgess PN in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...n't&page=3

As Sam said, its a PITA to get the door latch out of the door but once its out replacing the switch is easy if you can find a replacement.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Everyone! I really appreciate all the responses and have really learned a lot about these windows!

I just got off the phone with the shop, and they said that they did the reset with both power window switches and it seemed to reset and work fine, so they parked it outside with the windows up, but then noticed about an hour later that the windows had dropped about a quarter way down on their own.

They are thinking some moisture got into the control box located in the driver's door, and are going to remove the box and blow dry the insides. I then told them that I was indeed washing the car when the driver window episode began, so that fits.

Should know something this evening.

Rusty

Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

If it were me and the window continued to be a problem I would open and close the passenger door every time I opened the driver’s door. My reason would be to exercise the door latch, switch and window to prevent going into the door when you may not need to. This car does not take kindly to just sitting around.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Now they're saying no moisture was found and they think that it's the door handle/latch mechanism ($450) not telling the window that the door is open/closed. I'm going to take the car back for a few days and see what it's doing.

I'll make sure when I pick it up that if I get a door open message for both doors they understand that the message is being sent.

Last edited by Skid Mark; 07-21-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like it's the left door handle/lock. They showed me how to raise/lower the windows using the key so I can use the door easier. The right door window works fine after the reset. I guess I'll have to replace the handle/lock assembly. Shop wants $450. Anyone know of a better price anywhere? I live in central North Carolina.

Rusty

Old 07-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Mark
Looks like it's the left door handle/lock. They showed me how to raise/lower the windows using the key so I can use the door easier. The right door window works fine after the reset. I guess I'll have to replace the handle/lock assembly. Shop wants $450. Anyone know of a better price anywhere? I live in central North Carolina.

Rusty
I think all you need to do is replace the micro switch that was described above by "vagearhead" rather than the whole door latch.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

NOOOOOO!!!!!! Don't replace the whole latch! It's just a $2 microswitch. I'm going to do mine when I get back to North Carolina (I live near Raleigh). I'm on vacation right now. Mine isn't working, but the way the window is adjusted right now it's not jamming up and scraping the trim when I close the door, so I can get by. We use similar microswitches where I work, so I'm going to try to rig something unless I can find that exact microswitch from mouser.com

Old 07-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vagearhead
A quick easy way to check that the micro switch in the door latch is working correctly:

With the drivers door closed and the car running open the passenger door. You should see the "Passenger Door Open" message on the instrument cluster. If you're not getting this message the problem is most likely the micro switch. I posted the Burgess PN in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...n't&page=3

As Sam said, its a PITA to get the door latch out of the door but once its out replacing the switch is easy if you can find a replacement.
Should there be also be a door open message if I open the driver's door? I'm not getting one.

How does one obtail just the micro switch? The handle/lock hard parts seem fine.

Thanks, Rusty

Old 07-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
NOOOOOO!!!!!! Don't replace the whole latch! It's just a $2 microswitch. I'm going to do mine when I get back to North Carolina (I live near Raleigh). I'm on vacation right now. Mine isn't working, but the way the window is adjusted right now it's not jamming up and scraping the trim when I close the door, so I can get by. We use similar microswitches where I work, so I'm going to try to rig something unless I can find that exact microswitch from mouser.com
That's all very good advice. How would I search mouser to find the microswitch?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

www.mouser.com...call them or you may be able to order direct online from their website, they're right down the street from me. (well, sorta)

Old 07-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Tried the mouser website, but no hits. Don't have a part number, just typed in jaguar xk8 door micro switch, etc. I'll call tommorrow and hopefully get a real person!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by vagearhead

With the drivers door closed and the car running open the passenger door. You should see the "Passenger Door Open" message on the instrument cluster. If you're not getting this message the problem is most likely the micro switch.
Nope, not getting the message at all! Guess it looks like it's a microswitch - at least that was easy to diagnose!

Now time to piggyback on whoever is also searching for the right microswitch to replace it!

Dave

Old 07-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

I tried Mouser, but it looks like they don't carry Burgess microswitches. The burgess website was no help, either.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Sam, what about www.jaguarparts.com ? Do you have a part number for that micro switch?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

if you have the burgess part number, try allied electronics

Quick Reply: I Hate Windows!!