XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help...........

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow I need help...........

Well when I drive my car I feel like the brakes are on, but my foot is on the gas. If I let go of the gas the car will slowly come to maybe 1 mph almost a stop. Do you think it's from the brake fluid? Maybe it's old and I need to change it? It says you should change it every 2 years. Also when I open my trunk the trunk lights sometimes come on and sometimes doesn't. Ive looked everywhere but couldnt find any problem. Maybe you guys can help me out. Anyone have a problem like that?

Old 07-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Go drive around for 5 minutes then feel your wheels. If one of them is hotter than the rest, you have a sticky caliper. If that's the case it's most likely one of the real wheels since you didn't say the car was pulling in one direction or the other.

Also, are the brake lights on all of the time?

Old 07-24-2010, 03:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Is your parking brake engaged? (the switch for it may not work, therefore, no MIL)

Pull up, push in the button, and lower it. It sure sounds like its active.

Only other item to consider is the brake pads + calipers as Sam mentioned.

Make sure your brake pedal is coming up entirely also.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Oh yeah... I didn't even think of the parking brake. I never even use mine. That sounds like a very likely possibility. The first time I test drove an XK8 I drove around with the parking brake on because I didn't know how it worked. I thought that since it was down it must be off and I thought the fact that the light was on meant there was something wrong with the car. I mean, the brake was obviously off, right? LOL

Old 07-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

It could be your emergency brake but that would affect the back brakes. It could be a brake caliper locking up but that would only affect the bad calipers. It could be the ABS, Traction Control having a problem and that would affect all wheels. Can you tell what is causing you to slowdown (front, back or all wheels)?

Old 07-24-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Go drive around for 5 minutes then feel your wheels. If one of them is hotter than the rest, you have a sticky caliper. If that's the case it's most likely one of the real wheels since you didn't say the car was pulling in one direction or the other.

Also, are the brake lights on all of the time?
I drove around for 5 minutes. My back wheels were cold, but my front wheels were hot. But I think they were hot because of the engine heat. Maybe im wrong. Also, the brake lights are not on all the time. Only when I brake.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Is your parking brake engaged? (the switch for it may not work, therefore, no MIL)

Pull up, push in the button, and lower it. It sure sounds like its active.

Only other item to consider is the brake pads + calipers as Sam mentioned.

Make sure your brake pedal is coming up entirely also.
My parking brake was not engaged. I did it twice. But also when your parking is engaged the light comes on and my light was off. Also, I checked the brake pedal and is coming up entirely.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
It could be your emergency brake but that would affect the back brakes. It could be a brake caliper locking up but that would only affect the bad calipers. It could be the ABS, Traction Control having a problem and that would affect all wheels. Can you tell what is causing you to slowdown (front, back or all wheels)?

I've been driving around my block all morning trying to figure out if it's front or back wheels. I'm at a full stop. When I accelerate it doesn't feel the same. It feels sluggish. I accelerate to maybe 30 mph and let go of the gas and the car starts slowing down all the way to maybe 1-2 mph.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Fjk
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It's time to get out the jack and see if everything rotates freely...

Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 PM

Thanks guys for your help. I don't think this is something I can do. Here we go again. Back to the mechanic.

I gotta tell you guys this Jaguar is a very beautiful car. The engine noise when you accelerate has that sexy rumble of the v8, the looks and lines of the car is beautiful, the interior of the car with all the luxurious touches. I know mine is not supercharged but still has nice torque when you accelerate. Overall beautiful car.

BUT........ I've had this car for almost 3 months now and it's been killing me. It's a 99 with only 16,500 miles on it. Well i put the 2000 miles on it and so far I spend so much money on it. My check engine light came on with restricted performance and I had to change both oxygen sensors and mass air flow sensor. Then I had the green shower all over inside my car. ( which was the worst thing ever). Now this.....

I dunno guys I'm having second thoughts right now about this car.......

Old 07-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

I'm sorry your having so much trouble iamthegreat, but quite a few of us has had to "bite th' bullet" on repairs... You know, with rare exception, most people don't get rid of their cars because they are running perfect. Most just tire of the expense and pass it on. If you have this in mind when you purchase a used car, a few repairs will not hurt so much. And if the cars happen to be in tip-top shape, well, thats just the frosting on th' cake. I paid $7500 smackers for mine, so I knew I'd have to put out some... Hahahaaa...in this case, more than most. But now I know what I have in this car, and I can drive it confidently till I decide to go for a 2003 or better.
Just tough it out, it's part of th' dues you sometimes have to pay... plus there's the fact that you feel satisfaction when you've addressed the need of your ride...
Take care iamthgreat ( are you an old Cassius Clay fan??)
Fast Freddie

Old 07-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hang in there I'm sure you will get this behind you and get that positive attitude, and
confidance for her again.
03 XKR

Old 07-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Sorry about your mechanical and associated financial disappointment with you XK8.

You are correct, it is a wonderful car but I have long held the opinion that 10+ year old Jaguars are best owned by hobby mechanics or those to which a few thousand dollars in repairs was acceptable.

While I am certainly the former rather than the latter, I knew going in that they only way I was going to enjoy this car was to learn to do the work myself. I have been properly entertained through 2 cars now.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

You need to know that this is truly a great car. But try to understand that this is an 11 yr old car that has 16,500 miles on it that has been sitting. Yes you will have a few of the normal problems and you will have additional when you begin using it. This car can and will serve you well but it will be a rough road getting there. Take one thing at a time and enjoy. If you truly like this car you will understand and at time get your tools together and take on a project. When you feel you are ready to do that we will try to help. I hope you keep the car and I hope it serves you well and if you need help ask!

As for the brakes it is either a caliper or the ABS. Remember that moisture accumulates in the brake system and can settle in the caliper creating problems. I had this with mine and contrary to popular belief you can replace just one. Find out what they have to say and let us know.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by iamthegreat
Thanks guys for your help. I don't think this is something I can do. Here we go again. Back to the mechanic.

I gotta tell you guys this Jaguar is a very beautiful car. The engine noise when you accelerate has that sexy rumble of the v8, the looks and lines of the car is beautiful, the interior of the car with all the luxurious touches. I know mine is not supercharged but still has nice torque when you accelerate. Overall beautiful car.

BUT........ I've had this car for almost 3 months now and it's been killing me. It's a 99 with only 16,500 miles on it. Well i put the 2000 miles on it and so far I spend so much money on it. My check engine light came on with restricted performance and I had to change both oxygen sensors and mass air flow sensor. Then I had the green shower all over inside my car. ( which was the worst thing ever). Now this.....

I dunno guys I'm having second thoughts right now about this car.......
Sorry to heard about all the problems with the car in your first three month of Jaguar ownership.One of the things that I have notice about low mileage cars is they have sat too much and were not driven and need more things to overhaul that cars that are driven regularly.Many things will fail due to age rather then mileage such as the top leaking.Other thing that is a problem is that they don't get routine maintanence such as changing brake fluid and bleeding the brakes,I have got a feeling that yours have rusted and are freezing up on the pads.The mass air flow sensor might have just needed a good cleaning but the garage didn't want to take a chance on that plus they made more on that part then just cleaning it. Once you get things sorted out you will have a great car,but remember it's eleven years old.What do other think?

"It's not what it cost you to buy a Jaguar that will get you,it's what it will cost you to own one"

Last edited by H20boy; 07-24-2010 at 09:20 PM.