Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was starting to miss tinkering on the car

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 725 Posts
Default I was starting to miss tinkering on the car

I've been driving the car worry free ever since I changed the timing chain tensioners. About a thousand miles ago I performed my last fix on the car, I changed a hose that connects the coolant reservoir to the thermostat housing. Then I topped off with some coolant and have been driving problem free. Today I decided to take a look at the engine bay, and check all fluid levels. When I checked the coolant reservoir it was half full. I was thinking, that's odd. That shouldn't be so low. It wasn't low enough to trigger the coolant low message. I topped it off and then inspected all hoses that were visible. They all seemed ok to me.

Then I took a look at the fans parallel to the radiator. That's when I noticed what seemed like some oil on one of the grooves above the fans. I proceeded to feel the nearest hose. Only to find what seemed like a melted and slit spot on the hose. It seems the grooves on the plastic above the fans come in contact with that hose.

I was starting to miss tinkering on the car-img_3539.jpg

So now I'm wondering... My logic tells me that that's a coolant hose, I mean it clearly connects to the thermostat housing and the radiator. Why was the fluid leaking out more consistent with sludge than coolant fluid? When I topped off my coolant, I had not seen any foam on it, nor an orange color. It was green, just like the coolant I filled it with. My coolant cap had nothing on it either. Could that sludge be a result of the coolant oxidizing with the ambient oxygen? Could the high temperatures of the engine bay catalyze such an oxidation reaction?

I was starting to miss tinkering on the car-img_3538.jpg

I was starting to miss tinkering on the car-img_3541.jpg

I guess I have to buy a new hose and two new clamps. I'll have to modify the hose so that it has at least about two or three centimeters of gap between the plastic and it.

What diameter hose do I have to buy? How long does it have to be?

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 10-20-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

I just replaced both my radiator hoses, along with a new radiator. Got everything from RockAuto.

The hose will actually fit either direction; however, going on one way it clears everything pretty well. If put on the opposite way, it gets pretty close to things. It's hard to tell which direction is right, you just have to try both ways before you actually install.

My guess is that yours was replaced at some point and put on the "wrong" way.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Having read this post, I checked the hose on my car, and sure enough it is just about worn through at the same spot where it is making contact with the small fin on top of the radiator. A new hose is needed ASAP.

I would recommend to everyone that you check these hoses, as it is a disaster waiting to happen. I am fairly sure that this hose on my car is original.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

I think I got mine from RockAuto too. I think it was a URO hose and pretty cheap considering..... If you don't have the clearance you need after fitting the new hose, you can use a piece of the old one slit and fit around the new one. Not a pretty solution, but it would work. BTW I found getting the hose on the radiator was kinda tough..no leverage.

Last edited by mike66; 10-20-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

I'm glad I haven't driven anywhere far during the last month or so. Had I taken my planned trip to mom's this past Friday, I might have gotten a borked engine.

I'll check RockAuto. What's the part number?

Mike66, are you sure you installed it at the correct orientation? Read Mike's (Jag#4) post. Mike, what if, the hose installs too close, making contact both ways you install it? Couldn't you just cut a few centimeters from the end that you connect to the thermostat tower? Seems to me like it would allow for some better clearance?

Guys, that's confusing. Couldn't you two get a name a little less common?

Malcom, I'm glad I could help you avoid sudden implosion of your block!

Old 10-20-2013, 05:45 PM

Mine fit okay, so that was good. Yeah, cutting it should work fine. Seems like shortening the end up top would do it.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Alright, I guess I'm off to ordering the hose.

So I'm guessing this is the upper radiator hose?

Edit:

Kinda shocked the price on the hoses is $20. I was expecting something near $10.

The bypass hose cost me something like a $1 and the reservoir hose cost me about $2.50. Those are much shorter and thinner tho. I wonder if the price via a local parts shop is lower. Last time I ordered via rock auto, the shipping cost me about $20 as well.

It says shipping will cost me about $10. Why don't they give me the option of using the ultra slow none priority, just basic USPO shipping? I don't need the hose so soon. I'm walking everywhere because the university is really close.

I'm gonna check if my local auto parts can get it here for cheaper. That worked with the gaskets I bought through them.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 10-20-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:53 PM

Lower hose....it goes to the bottom radiator fitting driver's side, right? The upper is short over to the pass. side...(from memory, but I can check tomorrow).
Forgot about your shipping charges; yeah, maybe local parts store better bet. While you're in there, is that shiney spot on the top hose a bulge, or just clean? That's the easy one to replace. You're going to lose your coolant when you replace that hose, so either catch and reuse it, or time to consider what you'll use to replace it. Good to be consistant, shouldn't mix dex-cool with others. I know money is an issue; just sayin'.http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jagu...arts-mja4515ad

Last edited by mike66; 10-20-2013 at 06:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

I found the same problem on my XK8 last year after someone reported a leak. When I replaced the hose I not only trimmed the end, but also cut the fin back a little.

The following 2 users liked this post by RJ237:
giandanielxk8 (10-20-2013), mike66 (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mike66
Lower hose....it goes to the bottom radiator fitting driver's side, right? The upper is short over to the pass. side...(from memory, but I can check tomorrow).
Forgot about your shipping charges; yeah, maybe local parts store better bet. While you're in there, is that shiney spot on the top hose a bulge, or just clean? That's the easy one to replace. You're going to lose your coolant when you replace that hose, so either catch and reuse it, or time to consider what you'll use to replace it. Good to be consistant, shouldn't mix dex-cool with others. I know money is an issue; just sayin'.Jaguar Radiator Hose Lower (XK8) - URO Parts MJA4515AD | FCP Euro

Do you mean the plastic hose that's connected to the bypass hose that connects to the thermostat tower? The bypass hose has two very shiny and new screw clamps, if that's what you mean. That hose is also quite new and still clean. If you mean the hose connected to the bypass hose, well that's made out of plastic and it has a corner which looks like a bulge. That plastic part there connects to the other hose on the passenger side.

Yes, it's the hose that's on the driver's side which connects to the bottom of the radiator fitting. So, that's the lower hose? It is pretty much the same price with shipping. I'll check my local auto parts store first.

How do you suggest I catch the coolant? Should I jack up the car and put a bucket underneath while I work on it?

Old 10-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

I think I got mine from RockAuto too. I think it was a URO hose and pretty cheap considering..... If you don't have the clearance you need after fitting the new hose, you can use a piece of the old one slit and fit around the new one. Not a pretty solution, but it would work. BTW I found getting the hose on the radiator was kinda tough..no leverage.
If you warm the hose end up first (hot water in a pan if the wife isn't looking), it slides on much easier. A little liquid soap helps too if needed.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

RE: Your radiator hose touching the edge of the fan shroud. Double check that it is not installed in the reverse. Mine was and I had the same chaffing. Once you pull it off it is apparent how it can be installed backwards very easily. gordo

Old 10-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah Gordo, I'm starting to think that there is a high possibility that the hose may be on backwards, as you suggest. I don't recall any radiator or fan work. So, I guess I'll have to ask the previous owner about that.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:30 PM

Yeah, def lower hose then. We have a place nearby that sells disposable Al baking pans (turkeys, etc.) that fit under there and catch alot of it when that hose comes off the bottom of the radiator. Messy, but.........
And good advice on getting the new one on. Post 999!

Last edited by mike66; 10-20-2013 at 10:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine was still a very tight fit and was still not happy with the clearance between the hose and the shroud. I cut about a 2" piece of the old hose split it and secured it around the new hose at the friction point with a couple of wire ties. If your worried about showing your car clip the ties and remove the piece. Hope it helps Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by berlin1977:
giandanielxk8 (10-20-2013), mike66 (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

Huh, I hadn't thought of the disposable aluminium baking pans. I think I can score some of those for pennies at my local supermarket.

Jim, I'll keep that in mind when I have the new hose ready to install.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Once you pull the hose, it will be obvious how easily one can install it backwards.

Personally, I never reuse antifreeze. By draining and adding new, the system is refreshed every time you do work like this. If you must reuse coolant, be sure to run it through a very fine strainer, like a paint funnel, or a mesh cloth.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:33 AM

I agree. Best thing is a good flush out and replace with new Jaguar spec coolant (Dex-Cool ?) and be done with it for a while. However, as a student on a budget........... If you do reuse, I would top off with a universal all - type 50/50 mix, since you don't really know what's already in there, and can't tell just by color.
Have fun with this new project. Hope that's it for a while.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

I agree. Best thing is a good flush out and replace with new Jaguar spec coolant (Dex-Cool ?) and be done with it for a while. However, as a student on a budget........... If you do reuse, I would top off with a universal all - type 50/50 mix, since you don't really know what's already in there, and can't tell just by color.
Have fun with this new project. Hope that's it for a while.
Actually, I do know what's already in there. Preston pre-diluted extended life antifreeze coolant. It's what I've always added to it and what my dad has always topped it off with when it was his car. It is the green stuff. I've got half a gallon of it in my closet.

Gordo, why must I run the used coolant through a strainer? Do you think there's some particulate in the coolant?

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 10-21-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I personel flush all of vec. When I have to perform maintenance on the cooling system. Antifreeze like any other chemical will break down over time. Using flushing material breaks mineral, calcium deposits, and will help in remove pieces of gasket and gasket compounds, all of this trash builds up in the cooling fins which reduces the cooling ability of the radiator. And if you bought your car used who would no the last time cooling system maintenance was performed. If I remember it is also recommended in the manual. Als for using extended life it meets jag specs.

Quick Reply: I was starting to miss tinkering on the car