XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I got finally......

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Talking I think I got finally......

Merry Christmas everyone! 2012 My best present so far ha been that I think I might have solved my "check engine light" problem. It started with a code that indicated a failed oxygen sensor on bank #2. I incorrectly assumed that meant the passengers side, meaning right side facing forward. As it turned out it was on the left side, what I call the drivers side. After I replaced the O2 sensor on the left side I got a p0332 code. This indicates a knock sensor on bank#2. So I ordered two knock sensors, figuring I would solve the problem no matter what side it was on. Imagine my surprise when I reset the ECU, and then got a P0327 code. This means knock sensor on bank 1. Same problem, different side. Now, which one of the replacements was the bad one?
I tried to find a thread somewhere that identified which side side is which, but without any luck. So, in desperation I decided to see which side the ECU thinks is bank#1. I disconnected the O2 sensor from the right side,reset the ECU and ran the engine again. This time it came up with a code for O2 sensor failure on the #1 bank,P1646. So folks, on the XK8 the #1 bank is on the right side, what we call the passenger side here in America. I reconnected the O2 sensor and took a guess at which of the old knock sensors was the good one. I replaced the knock sensor on the right side with one of my old ones and I got lucky. It worked! So, at least for now, no "check engine light" and maybe I can get it smogged This is a great Christmas gift!!

Last edited by Lanny; 12-24-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: mis-spell
Old 12-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Ya gotta say thanks to all the folks who participate in this great forum! I had my check engine light problem solved yesterday with help from this group. I had been trying to track down a vacuum leak for several weeks. I had the same thought as you...a great gift for Christmas! So merry Christmas to all and thanks to everyone here for the best Jag forum anywhere!

Old 12-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Lanny
Merry Christmas everyone! 2012 My best present so far ha been that I think I might have solved my "check engine light" problem. It started with a code that indicated a failed oxygen sensor on bank #2. I incorrectly assumed that meant the passengers side, meaning right side facing forward. As it turned out it was on the left side, what I call the drivers side. After I replaced the O2 sensor on the left side I got a p0332 code. This indicates a knock sensor on bank#2. So I ordered two knock sensors, figuring I would solve the problem no matter what side it was on. Imagine my surprise when I reset the ECU, and then got a P0327 code. This means knock sensor on bank 1. Same problem, different side. Now, which one of the replacements was the bad one?
I tried to find a thread somewhere that identified which side side is which, but without any luck. So, in desperation I decided to see which side the ECU thinks is bank#1. I disconnected the O2 sensor from the right side,reset the ECU and ran the engine again. This time it came up with a code for O2 sensor failure on the #1 bank,P1646. So folks, on the XK8 the #1 bank is on the right side, what we call the passenger side here in America. I reconnected the O2 sensor and took a guess at which of the old knock sensors was the good one. I replaced the knock sensor on the right side with one of my old ones and I got lucky. It worked! So, at least for now, no "check engine light" and maybe I can get it smogged This is a great Christmas gift!!
This shows the Bank Layout:

Attached Thumbnails I think I got finally......-jagv8fireorder.jpg  
Old 12-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree, this is probably the best forum I have ever joined. Being a car person I belong to several other forums too. But this one seems to be the most active and helpful. Thank you to everyone who helps all us new-be's.
Lanny