XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Identify the clunk!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim D
Sway bar bushes and links are not really hard to do. The lower shock mounts cost about half as much as new shock dampers, themselves - except you've got adaptive shocks, so that might make it worth replacing the lower mounts.

Your mechanic's hourly table of estimates sounds a bit on the conservative (more time than I'd expect) side, but not excessively so.

Let us know.
Jim,

I woke up an old thread - but here is what I've gone through suspension wise, in chronological order, during the past two years:

- Rear sway bar links
- Rear sway bar bushings
- Front sway bar bushings
- Front sway bar links
- Front wheel bearings
- Track rod ends
- Lower wishbone bushes
- Lower ball joints
- New engine mounts
- Front upper shock mounts
- Front shock absorbers
- Rear upper spring isolators
- Rear shock absorbers

The last job I did myself, replacing all shock absorbers and upper mounts. I replaced them with the non-CATS variety, just disconnecting the CATS box in the trunk.

The car rides wondeful right now. Nice and planted. Tramlining quite some now after the new shocks and mounts, but I plan to get an alignment done asap.

If I would complain about anything with the ride, it still is a bit sensitive to road imperfections, I can feel vibrations in the steering wheel when going over imperfect/bumpy roads at speed. The suspension work done has perhaps removed 70% of that shakiness, but it still is there - something which I don't have on my X5 (with 19" wheels). The Jag has 18 wheels with Pirelli Pzero's.

Attached Thumbnails Identify the clunk!-dsc02663.jpg   Identify the clunk!-dsc02665.jpg  

Last edited by azeteg; 08-03-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 08-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

As posted previously, I have had the clunk since owning the car. The car has been at the mechanic the last few days to take care of the brake switch and some other annoyances like a rattle in the driver's door and misalignment of the windows on the passenger side. Also asked him to try and look for the clunk.

While he was able to duplicate and hear the clunk while driving he saw NOTHING amiss while the car was up on the rack. Everything looked tight and sound. He suspects it could be the CATS shock itself (maybe something loose?) but he would want to do a further diagnostic that includes microphones under the chassis before having me spend a bunch of money on an expensive shock.

I think I will continue just to live with the occasional clunk for the time being.

Doug

Old 08-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Well if this helps my clunk is a rear shock mount. Doing all four corners over the winter. Everything. I have squeaks,clunks,rattles you name it. She's high maintance but I love her. It's a good thing my son and I can do this stuff.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

All that he could definitely confirm is that he agrees that that it sounds like right front since from inside the car it seems like it is immediately behind the glove box.

Doug

Old 08-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Hey Doug,
I thought the big clunk in the front end over any bump or dip greater than 3/4" was standard equipment on these cars. I have had it on mine since I got it five years ago. Shocks are good, though I do need shock mount bushings, I have replaced all other front end bushings but still the big clunk. If you locate it, let me know.
Ted

Attached Thumbnails Identify the clunk!-dscf0524-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Ted,

Will do. It is not really a loud clunk but maybe I just got used to it. When I suggested possibly the shock mount the mechanic had one lying around and showed met that there was nothing in the mount itself that would end up sounding like a clunk, even if the mount material was deteriorated. He said he even looked at a bunch of possible suspects mounted beneath the plenum (which he removed). Due to the high cost of the shock itself and the hassle of removing it to inspect, he really does not want to just randomly do that without doing the more thorough sound inspection that necessitates driving around with a bunch of microphones attached at various places. So for now I will continue just to put up with it.

On the bright side they did manage to get rid of the rattle in the driver's door (turned out to be the window and they did some tightening and also added some sound deadening strips) and they also were successful in getting rid of the gap between the passenger site window and the quarter window by a combination of front window and door adjusting and adding something to "fatten" the rubber that runs along the front edge of the quarter window (it had flattened which was part of the problem).

Also took care of the "cruise not available/check rear lights" message by replacing the brake switch.

So all is well with the world.

Doug