XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you had approx. $1000 to blow on your Jag, what would you get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by cpm53
I would buy a set of Nameless Performance high flow catalytic converters and get `em installed........
That's what I was going to say as well. I have still to see anything on paper that shows these would really improve performance much but the sound might be a bit more aggressive.

Doug

Old 01-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

First, I'd get rid of the stock grille and replace it with an Adamesh Mesh grille. I love the lines of these cars but not the "toothless" look of the stock grille. That willl be about $500. Then I'd go with a quad tail light conversion. That will take most of the rest of the kilo-buck.

I'll be doing both of these mods in the next month or so. As far as performance mods go, the XKR has all the performance I want and I like the quite.

Mark

The following users liked this post:
Tracee (07-22-2019)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlaris
First, I'd get rid of the stock grille and replace it with an Adamesh Mesh grille. I love the lines of these cars but not the "toothless" look of the stock grille. That willl be about $500. Then I'd go with a quad tail light conversion.
Adamesh is very expensive. I bet you can find a quality mesh grill a lot cheaper than $500. I don't care much for those quad tail lights. They look too aftermarket, IMHO

Old 01-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog
Adamesh is very expensive. I bet you can find a quality mesh grill a lot cheaper than $500. I don't care much for those quad tail lights. They look too aftermarket, IMHO
You are correct that the Asamesh mesh grilles are more expensive than others but I think they look better. However, I do not care for the Adamesh quad tail lights; IMHO the Mina quad tail lights look much better. This is what I'll be installing.

Mark

Old 01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

New wheels and tires (everything else is done).

OR...put it toward an '03 XKR.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:48 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

The 4.2S in the UK (and 4.2-V in the US) come with all the options as standard so nothing to add from the Jaguar list.

It would have to be a sliding steel sunroof. Never seen one on an XK8 Coupe, probably isn't room to fit one and it might be stretching Frog's suggested budget but I had one on an XJ40 and it was wonderful for the 2 days of summer we get in the North of England.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would buy the Paramount tonneau (batmobile look), or I would get the seats upgraded to some Recaros....

Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont think the nameless performance cats would fit the xk8. they specify xkr and say nothing of the xk8.

but if i had 1000 bucks id take care of some minor issues my xk8 is having then get some spacers with a different bolt pattern and bolt up some nice ssr's or something

Old 01-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Nameless cats also increase the volume of your exhaust note, almost doubled.

After putting them in, it was unbearably loud so I changed the whole exhaust.

Now I have the most amazing sounding exhaust from any car I've ever heard.

People also say that the performance increase isn't actually noticeable if you change your cats and exhaust. For me, that's not true. I spin out so much more easily after the upgrades and I can definitely feel the car is much quicker. Side note though: If you have a really amazing exhaust note, you tend to push the pedal harder.

Last edited by xenophobe; 01-11-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
The 4.2S in the UK (and 4.2-V in the US) come with all the options as standard so nothing to add from the Jaguar list.

It would have to be a sliding steel sunroof. Never seen one on an XK8 Coupe, probably isn't room to fit one and it might be stretching Frog's suggested budget but I had one on an XJ40 and it was wonderful for the 2 days of summer we get in the North of England.

Now THAT would really boost the "ownability" of a coupe for me. I love the looks of the coupe, but having the open top is just too cool (literally). In Las Vegas a sunroof doesn't just mean being able to see the sky...it means a way to let out the 140+ degree heat when the car sits in the sun. So, yeah...sunroof would be well worth it.

BTW: Even my ol' '77 Porsche 930 had a sunroof (nice sliding steel, but no tilt feature). It was nice when flying through new Mexico or Arizona late at light. Jag still hasn't caught up to features people really like.....like a convertible top that actually covers itself and doesn't require dragging a tonneau out of the trunk, or putting it away. Duh.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I have installed Nameless 200 cell cats on my VPD and the exhaust sounds almost exactly the same - slightly louder on full trottle only. They are designed to flow smoothly without the 90 turn at the bottom of the stock units. The engine revs much more willingly, money well spent for my goals.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Adamesh grilles are only £180 thats about $275, pretty much the same as most places. Of course there is delivery, but why go that far when Mina do one that looks the same?

The quad light conversion...... I am not sure.... The picture above, I will have that car in my workshop at the end of the month but it does not look like that anymore, it had an accident with a German lorry driver and now as a wide body kit fitted

For my $1000............. I will have to think about that one!

Old 01-12-2012, 03:26 AM
Veteran member

Came across this Lambo door conversion on eBay for $1500. How do you think they would sit with my Sepang wheels and elm veneer dash?

Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Came across this Lambo door conversion on eBay for $1500. How do you think they would sit with my Sepang wheels and elm veneer dash?

Errrrrr No!

Lambo doors do not suit a standard Jaguar IMO......... And I though what I would be spend my $1000 on or put it against I should say......... I am going to put a 5.0ltr in my next project car so one of those

Old 01-12-2012, 04:39 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Errrrrr No! Lambo doors do not suit a standard Jaguar IMO
You don't say

Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

If the picture shows the door in the fully open position, you'd need to be a contortionist to get in and out.

eBay listing gives the additional info "basically open your door like normal until it stops and then just raise your door up until it stops. You also have the option of not raising the door since unlike most Lambo Doors, Scissor Doors, Wing Doors, Butterfly Doors, Lamborghini Doors, etc., our Vertical Doors, Inc. kits will allow you to get in and out without having to raise your doors".

.............................or without buying the kit

Old 01-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Frog

"Originally Posted by Frog
Came across this Lambo door conversion on eBay for $1500. How do you think they would sit with my Sepang wheels and elm veneer dash? "

I researched this company and all Lambo/Vertical door companies,,, this is the only one that I could find that BOLTS RIGHT IN... I am putting these on mine... but not the PBTW's car

The doors open normally or if you want vertically... This company does all the Celebrities cars ,,, especially the LEASES because it can be restored to original at the end of the lease.. Other products REQUIRE MAJOR MOD's to install this one does not

check out the video from their website,,, Scroll to middle of the page Vertical Doors Inc direct bolt-on kits they have other vehicle video's as well... Look at the install video... very easy to do and doesn't take that long if you know your way around a wrench...

These are Sharp IMHO

Last edited by Count_Damonee; 01-12-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Jags are supposed to be CLASSY and Lambo doors on anything (other than proper Lambos) is way too ghetto if you ask me...

Attached Thumbnails If you had approx. 00 to blow on your Jag, what would you get?-lambodoors.jpg  
Old 01-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

"Jags are supposed to be CLASSY and Lambo doors on anything (other than proper Lambos) is way too ghetto if you ask me..."

You can only tell they are on only and only if you LIFT the DOOR... Unlike Obtrusive spoilers, body kits,,, aftermarket Goop like the Chrome this and Chrome that stuff...

You know Lambo's are not the only cars with lifting doors, Mercedes had the GullWing and Delorean as well,,,

I think they are different, neat, and kinda functional, it will keep you from ripping the leather on the Drivers seat everytime you slide in and out... not to mention everytime I park in B.F.E away from everyone and walk from the farthest point of the parking lot AWAY FROM EVERYONE,,, (had 2 say it twice) Some dumb smuck parks right next to me and I am squeezing into my car because I cannot open the door all the way... Seems to be the same pr*ck in the vette...

Actually my friend has it on his show Vette and they are Great... So you can keep the sharp looking lines of the Jag but still has someting Unique that no one knows about Unless you show them,,,

Look at these cars that came with Unique doors Jaguar has a vhicle that opens from the front...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...l_door_designs

Last edited by Count_Damonee; 01-12-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:36 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Count_Damonee
You can only tell they are on only and only if you LIFT the DOOR... Unlike Obtrusive spoilers, body kits,,, aftermarket Goop like the Chrome this and Chrome that stuff...
Is this a wind-up, or are you seriously considering fitting them to your car?

Quick Reply: If you had approx. $1000 to blow on your Jag, what would you get?