XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone Dock Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I have thought about it, but it requires a bit more work to make a proper kit. Currently I'm planning to attempt a control unit which would integrate the steering wheel controls, the built-in microphone and a custom D/A converter. The installation procedure is however a bit annoying, modifying the amp internals. I'm wondering if it is possible to hook into the radio audio cables? I could then just make a circuit that prioritizes the iPhone over the radio, whenever it is attached.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I applaud your results and the great writeup on it. Like me, you are a detail oriented, both aesthetically and function. Bravo!

Old 03-20-2013, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by H20boy
I applaud your results and the great writeup on it. Like me, you are a detail oriented, both aesthetically and function. Bravo!
Thanks H2Oboy!

I just had a look at the iPhone 5-4 adapter. The dimensions slightly differ from a regular Apple "white" 30-pin connector. I changed the model to allow for this one, but with the current design it would get too deep. There is some metal part on the left side under this tray, which is the reason for the strange shape of the tray itself. This part sets the limits for the depth of the dock.

Another option would be to make the dock a bit taller, but this does not meet my original specifications of beeing sleek and having a factory look. Something that might actually work, is to use the Apple long adapter cable, which is a 20cm version of the same adapter. This should fit just fine, so I'll adapt the design for this one.

Attached Thumbnails iPhone Dock Project-20_03_2013_11_01_20.png  
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is an excellent design and if I had not already gone through all the trouble of fitting a Note 2 in my dash I would probably have just saved myself a couple of thousand pounds and installed this great piece of trim!!!

Azeteg you were a month too late

Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by panastas
This is an excellent design and if I had not already gone through all the trouble of fitting a Note 2 in my dash I would probably have just saved myself a couple of thousand pounds and installed this great piece of trim!!!

Azeteg you were a month too late
Well, I still don't know if I can make a kit out of it, so your Note 2 integration might be a better choice anyway

I just had a look at the iPhone 5 long adapter cable, and it actually looks like it will fit alright. My wife has the '5, so I can check how it fits. Tolerances were pretty tricky, for the iPhone 4(s) I added a bit of tolerance for the protective films. Otherwise fit was too tight. Hopefully I get some time to check it out during the weekend.

I also looked into the schematics for the steering wheel controls. Looks like not too much work to integrate them for song forward/reverse and play/stop. Unfortunately, call voice output through the dock connector is a complete dead end on the iPhone. For the '5 the situation could be a bit better, since one can integrate a 3.5mm line out/mic cable directly in the dock. For the '4 one would need a cable routed to the top of the phone, which means a no-go for me.

Attached Thumbnails iPhone Dock Project-20_03_2013_22_37_18.png  
Old 03-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

This is great work so far! Thanks for posting the diagrams here. They are relevant to my interests. Let us know how your 5 testing goes. I'm open to testing one of your prototypes, even if it's one of the printed ones for now. I would use the long Lightning cable.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

What about a T605 for bluetooth music/voice and the dock for power only?

The reason I am asking is that you can route the CD out to the Aux in on the T605 and it will give bluetooth music priority over the CD, but allow the CD player if bluetooth music is off.

What would KILL is to wire a remote to the steering wheel buttons so it would wirelessly change tracks etc.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

And if you could make a universal dock with snap in adapters for Iphone 4,5, micro usb etc. that would be a great addition.

(I am merely adding fuel to the fire, please accept my sincere awe at your ability and results thus far)

Old 03-21-2013, 03:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by azeteg
I have thought about it, but it requires a bit more work to make a proper kit. Currently I'm planning to attempt a control unit which would integrate the steering wheel controls, the built-in microphone and a custom D/A converter. The installation procedure is however a bit annoying, modifying the amp internals. I'm wondering if it is possible to hook into the radio audio cables? I could then just make a circuit that prioritizes the iPhone over the radio, whenever it is attached.
Just thinking out load... the Sat Nav voice is prioritised over the radio, is it possible to hook in there ?

rgds

Old 03-21-2013, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Eshezo
Just thinking out load... the Sat Nav voice is prioritised over the radio, is it possible to hook in there ?

rgds
Satnav is in the trunk, so you would still need to run a lead back there. If I'm not mistaken, Satnav audio is also mono only.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super cool

Old 03-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by azeteg
II'm wondering if it is possible to hook into the radio audio cables? I could then just make a circuit that prioritizes the iPhone over the radio, whenever it is attached.
A number of us use the ALP-AI-AUX Amazon.com: PIE ALP/AI-AUX Audio Switcher/Aux Input for Alpine Ai-NET Radios: Car Electronics for analog auxiliary audio. It triggers when the aux source is active and overrides the radio or CD player, depending on where in the system it is placed. It has been referenced in a number of posts, including my Parrot write-up.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Noise on the analog audio might be resolved with one of these or similar ground loop isolators: PAC Ground Loop Isolator for 3.5 MM Applications : Amazon.com : Automotive
Forgot to report that after adding the PAC isolator, the sound from the iPhone is completely noise free. It is also remarkable how much better the music from iPhone sounds, compared to the CD Player...

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (04-18-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 05:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet

Old 04-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Good job! Goals accomplished. It looks good and that's a fine write up.

Perhaps printing and painting them is a decent option when compared to making injection molds. Just price what it would take to be worth your while and see if that is a price others consider worth the investment.

Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:47 AM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Agreed. Any thoughts on offering these yet? I just returned 3 adaptors to a vendor that didn't work well for me. I'm kinda chomping at the bit for this.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:05 AM

I have been busy at work lately, so not much time to tinker around. If I would offer a kit, I would go for vacuum forming. Finishing a printed part is just a bit too much work. One option would of course be to offer them printed unfinished...

Old 04-20-2013, 04:18 AM

I have been busy at work lately, so not much time to tinker around. If I would offer a kit, I would go for vacuum forming. Finishing a printed part is just a bit too much work. One option would of course be to offer them printed unfinished...

Old 09-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Azeteg:
Any progress on this project?
Please let us know your progress.
Juan

Old 09-06-2013, 03:29 AM

Sorry, have been busy with other hobbies lately. Golf, musicianship, tennis and so on

I know that PLA is not a good material for car interiors though. My printed part warped after the car was out in the sun with an open roof and 36C heat. So it can only be used for prototyping really.

Quick Reply: iPhone Dock Project