Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Junk in the Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Junk in the Trunk

Hi Cat,

I went to my daughters recital tonight. Beautiful spring night in Philly. Drove to the recital with the top down. Dropped my wife and daughter off at the front door and went to find a parking place. Folded the boot and put it in the trunk. Put the top up and found that my trunk would not close. It closes but it won't lock. I tried for almost 1/2 hour to close it but no luck. I went in the recital but felt uncomfortable with my trunk unlocked. Anyway it still will not lock. Has anybody else ever had this problem or have any idea what might be going on?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Did you open the trunk with the key, remote or the button in the car?

Old 04-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

First, I'm a little confused by your description. Are you saying it will latch, but it won't lock?

How were you trying to open it? Were you pushing the button on the dash? If so, did you push the valet button first?

Old 04-09-2011, 11:20 PM

Went and tinkered with the valet button and the remote and somehow it locked. Don't know how but it's locked.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

OK, you can always open the trunk with the button on the dash UNLESS you press the valet button BEFORE pressing the lock button on the fob. The black key will always open the trunk even if you've pushed the valet button. I'm not sure if your model year has the button above the license plate. If it does, you cannot open the trunk with that button if the doors are locked, regardless of whether or not you pushed the valet button.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Alternatively, and believe it or not this happens, sometimes buttons stick.

Glad to know it you got it fixed.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:13 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Good to know that the trunk elected to cooperate. Just remember without a fix it may do it again.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

The button on your boot lid is disabled when you lock the car with the fob or the key or you press the valet button. Unlocking the car with the fob or the key will activate the boot button and allow you to open the boot.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Just a thought. If, for some reason, the latch mechanism (on the Trunk Lid) is moved to the latch position BEFORE the lid is closed, the latch will not engage the lock bar on the trunk floor. The lid will just bounce back up.

The solution is to activate the trunk unlock button on the Dash. This will reset the latch mechanism to the Unlock Position and the lid can then be closed and locked.

The following users liked this post:
bassmania (04-11-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
Just a thought. If, for some reason, the latch mechanism (on the Trunk Lid) is moved to the latch position BEFORE the lid is closed, the latch will not engage the lock bar on the trunk floor. The lid will just bounce back up.

The solution is to activate the trunk unlock button on the Dash. This will reset the latch mechanism to the Unlock Position and the lid can then be closed and locked.
Where have you been Paul? Are you in good health?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Old 04-11-2011, 05:37 AM

Paul, that might of been what happened. Maybe I hit the dash button twice unlocking it the first time then locking the latch the second time. Not sure but the latch definitely would not catch. Maybe I'll try to see if I can make it do it again, maybe not.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
Gus: Thanks for asking.

Actually, I have been spending time driving my latest "Acquisition". The 2005 Bentley is a "Different Driving Experience".

But I still love my XKR!

Name:  BentleyGT_2.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  95.7 KB

Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bassmania
Paul, that might of been what happened. Maybe I hit the dash button twice unlocking it the first time then locking the latch the second time. Not sure but the latch definitely would not catch. Maybe I'll try to see if I can make it do it again, maybe not.
The Dash Button would only Unlock the Trunk Lid. Pressing the button again would not re-lock it. To lock it (Without closing the Lid) would require that something to be inserted into the latch and rotate the Latch Plate manually.

The other possibility is that the Latch Plate is sticking in the Unlock Position or that when it engages the Lock Bar it does not latch into the Locked Position.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Actually, I have been spending time driving my latest "Acquisition". The 2005 Bentley is a "Different Driving Experience".

But I still love my XKR!

Now you made me sick. WoW! what a car.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

This could be caused by several reasons and dependent on the way it was opened. If opened by the button on the dash or remote I would be looking for a stuck button. If it were opened using the key in the trunk I would look at the linkage to the latch but it all goes to the latch itself and that could have a problem. When the latch is opened it enables the spring loaded claw to open and stay open. When you close the trunk the hook goes into the latch pushing down in the center to push the claw to close, latch and lock the trunk. This is all dependent on the mechanism working properly. Lubrication is a key for the latch operating properly. The last reason for the trunk not latching is an obstruction in the latch preventing the trunk from closing. And at times it has happens to me just be sure it is not your leather jacket.

The following users liked this post:
bassmania (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 03:17 PM

Hi Paul,

Looking good in all that hunter green my man.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bassmania
Hi Paul,

Looking good in all that hunter green my man.
Thanks. Actually both the XKR and the Bentley are British Racing Green (Non-Metalic). (Bentley calls it Barnato Green).

Old 04-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

But I still love my XKR!

Paul,
Is the ride as good as the car looks? You must love green!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
Paul,
Is the ride as good as the car looks? You must love green!
It was one of the very few Continental GT colors that I found acceptable.

I have lusted after the GT since it was introduced, but could only afford one after 5 years of depreciation.

The Bentley has a few warts but is quite nice.

I wish there was a Forum as Good as This one, but for the GT. But the Bentley Continental GT Forum on Roadfly is little visited and mostly by jealous Trolls.

If I HAD to choose between the Bentley or the Jaguar, I would have the Jaguar!!!!!

Quick Reply: Junk in the Trunk