Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a hello

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts
Default Just a hello

I have just joined and I have introduced myself to the main forum but thought as this is where I will probably be spending most of my time thought it was only fitting to say ......Hi..

I have a couple of XKs a manual XK8 and a 2000MY XKR that I have stroked to a 4.2 and a whole host of other mods from engine upgrades to body upgrades, I like to think I know a fair bit about these cars (often prooved wrong) and happy to share any of my experencies.

I also have a XJS which again is far from standard, I do like to play

Old 10-14-2010, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi again, nice touch

Lets be having some pics of your stable (or should that be litter)?, now that you have full access.

And yes please do share your experiences, any write-up etc is always appreciated.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome, mate!! Nothing like a garage full of Jags. I swear I can hear my two purrring at night.

Best regards,

Old 10-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

By manual XK8, do you mean you have fitted one with a manual transmission? If so, I know that topic has come up for discussion before and I have not seen anyone actually do it.
Sounds like you'll be a wealth of knowledge, glad to have you here.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, we need more details about your Manual Xk8, type of transmission, and any other pertinent information. There are many members interested in this conversion.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Welcome to the site. As others have said, we'd love to hear more.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I actually fitted this conversion to my XJS Monaco, I used a XKR engine using a gearbox from a Dodge Viper T56 Leman race car, I did this 10 years ago. The ECU I binned and used a Motec M800.

I have since put the Monaco back to standard and fitted the T56 to my track car but again binned the ECU as this is the most restrictive part of the set up.

I have explained this to many people in the past including Elite Performance Jags who did a conversion quite a while back and still turns up regularly on Ebay in the UK.

It is one of the reasons why I never did this as a viable business project years ago as it is extremely expensive.

If I had my time again I would kill 2 birds with one stone and go for a 6 speed sequential box at the rear of the car and elimate the need for an LSD in one go. There is no cheap route even if you can do all the work yourself like I have, including fitting 8 throttle bodies to my XK8 instead of just the one like OE.

It is quite simple to do the mechanicals it is getting the electrics to work is the problem, getting rid of the original ECU is fine but this has knock on effects, the instrument binacle for starters and then the security module has a complete head fit.

At the end of the day you have to strip everything apart from the lights and start again. For my track car I need not worry about such things which made life simple.

I do know someone who I have conferred with greatly who has done an XKR manual conversion and yet it is still not complete waiting on a magic black box to fool the TCM the auto box is still there and not a manual.

The bottom line is, if you want a manual XK be prepared to spend $15K+ and there are 2 routes. 1, magic box, 2, change everything. The cheapest route and more rewarding route is to go for the stand alone ECU and change everything as this give you full control of your engine from full throttle gear changes to simple driving.

If you want my honest answer, buy a written off Aston Martin V8 vantage and swap all the goodies over....Job done!

Last edited by XKRacer; 10-15-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Typos :-|
Old 12-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome back