XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob range down to 1m from 15m and it's not the fob battery :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 351 Posts

In my long search for a cure to the short range fob problem, I was given this link. Sadly, apparently due to postage difficulties, this service operates only in the UK market

https://www.berkshirejagcomponents.c...bd-c2x27169675

I sent my module and two key fobs off as instructed and three days later everything was back. I plugged the module in and as good as promised, both modules worked at long range! I thought it was excellent value for money for UK owners if you check out module prices on the used market.

The following users liked this post:
simon3166 (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 01:58 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by astromorg
In my long search for a cure to the short range fob problem, I was given this link. Sadly, apparently due to postage difficulties, this service operates only in the UK market

https://www.berkshirejagcomponents.c...bd-c2x27169675

I sent my module and two key fobs off as instructed and three days later everything was back. I plugged the module in and as good as promised, both modules worked at long range! I thought it was excellent value for money for UK owners if you check out module prices on the used market.
(OP) This is the right solution to the problem! Good work!

Old 08-01-2022, 04:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a battery/capacitor at the receiver ?

Hi, very interesting threat. I noticed the following behavior with my XKR coupé mfy 2000. Sometimes, the car sits in the garage for more than a month without beeing used. During this time, the main car battery is hooked to a charger that keeps it charged. However, after a month or so the FOB would not work at all! I would have to open the car with the key, drive a short distance and hence, the FOB works again. So I was thinking that the receiver has a kind of backup battery/capacitor/accumulator that gets charged only when the car is running. Where would it be located and how can I replace it? Any thoughts or similar experience anyone?

Old 08-01-2022, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,292 Likes on 1,504 Posts

That is normal behaviour.

I can't remember where this note came from, however:

"
Security receiver shutdown
To reduce SLCM quiescent drain, the transmitter receiver portion of the security system will shut down 28 days after
the body systems enter the sleep state. Any body systems activity, such as unlocking the vehicle with the key, will
reactivate the receiver.
"

digiman (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 466 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by digiman
Hi, very interesting threat. I noticed the following behavior with my XKR coupé mfy 2000. Sometimes, the car sits in the garage for more than a month without beeing used. During this time, the main car battery is hooked to a charger that keeps it charged. However, after a month or so the FOB would not work at all! I would have to open the car with the key, drive a short distance and hence, the FOB works again. So I was thinking that the receiver has a kind of backup battery/capacitor/accumulator that gets charged only when the car is running. Where would it be located and how can I replace it? Any thoughts or similar experience anyone?
Its working as designed. To save power the receiver switches off after a few weeks of no activity. After that you have to open the door with the key.

digiman (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by dibbit
Its working as designed. To save power the receiver switches off after a few weeks of no activity. After that you have to open the door with the key.
that is absolutely correct. It took me a while to figure it out though.

digiman (08-01-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 05:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key Fob very short range - solved

Originally Posted by 01752brianj
Hi wot76,
Sadly not. I haven't swapped out the module yet or got it repaired.
But I am able to live with the temporary solution of moving the aerial to the driver's side rear window.
I'm still on the look out for a reasonably priced security module, so will update if I get the chance to try it.
I've finally found a reasonably priced second hand Security Locking Module and replaced the old one. Same part number. Key fobs needed matching to the new SLM using the headlight flashing method. No other programming required. Key fob now working from yards away.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:48 PM
Rex
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I had my FOB's rebuilt by an electronics tech. Now both work from 100'

Old 11-18-2022, 08:56 AM
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex
I had my FOB's rebuilt by an electronics tech. Now both work from 100'
I have a question for the group here. I’ve followed this topic for few years now and don’t recall a specific solution to my situation. I have taken apart and cleaned all contacts, replaced battery, reprogrammed, and still the same issue. ISSUE: my remote works for all buttons EXCEPT release of the trunk (to pop open the trunk) - no matter how close I get to the rear. And suggestions?

Old 11-19-2022, 04:50 PM
Rex

The tech that rebuilt mine mentioned among many other things that the material that coats the inside of the buttons wears off and can no longer create an electrical circuit. He re-coated the buttons with something and they all work from over 100'.

Old 11-21-2022, 04:41 PM
Rex

The conductive material on the inside of the buttons wears off with time, part of my rebuild was to replace the conductive material.

Old 11-26-2022, 06:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

As nearly every xk owner i have the same keyfob issue. Mine is clearly related to the keyfob as some buttons work and others don't.

Of course, the more useful they are the less they work... (lock / unlock) while the headlight button works OK. All of these are signs of wear i guess.

@Rex How do you replace the conductive material ? With what ? Might be dumb but i tried with a pencil as graphite is conductive but no luck.

Old 11-26-2022, 09:06 PM
Rex

I tried tin foil, did not work. The eltechs had something that they used, worked perfectly. Do not know what it was.

Old 11-26-2022, 09:21 PM
Rex

Found the receipt - "Pads inside were entirely missing contact material, have rebuilt with silver conductive inkto redeposit a layer of viable conductive material for button assembly. It is a sacrificial material deposition and this layer may last 5-10 years, hard to say however."

Old 11-26-2022, 09:22 PM
Rex

Found the receipt - "Pads inside were entirely missing contact material, have rebuilt with silver conductive ink to redeposit a layer of viable conductive material for button assembly. It is a sacrificial material deposition and this layer may last 5-10 years, hard to say however."

michaelh (11-27-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,292 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Thanks:- I wondered if something like that might work, but haven't needed to try it (yet).

Given the outrageous cost of new fobs for our earlier cars (north of 400 GBP), it's well worth some experimentation.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:02 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex
Found the receipt - "Pads inside were entirely missing contact material, have rebuilt with silver conductive inkto redeposit a layer of viable conductive material for button assembly. It is a sacrificial material deposition and this layer may last 5-10 years, hard to say however."
Thanks a lot @Rex

I found several conductive pen or seringes with "silver conductive glue" on Aliexpress, both cost less than $5 so it's worth giving a try.
I'll keep this thread updated after i tried.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by christ
CR2016
The batteries in my fob are CR 2025, that what was in them when I purchased the car. My fob only works the lights, it will not lock, unlock or open the trunk. Any help is welcome.

Old 12-08-2022, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My used 1998 XK8 only came with a single key and single fob. Would like to have a copy in the combo fob AND key. I have done some searching but have not identified any aftermarket combos for a car this old. Any suggestions?
John
Near Baltimore

Old 12-08-2022, 05:52 PM
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

RESOLVED: I once again took the key fob apart and there was no silver/silver-like compound on the underside of the buttons. In fact, if you press down on the exposed metal/brass buttons themselves there is a slight "click" or haptic feedback and this is what activates the button (not a silver like coating on the underside of the rubber sleeve). But back to how I got my issue resolved: In looking at the small circuit board I noted the 2 metal contact points which make contact with the battery (changed the battery a few months back thinking this was the issue - it was not). I noticed that the contact controlling the Trunk release (and the Unlock for the doors) was flush with the base on the circuit board. I carefully used a pocket knife blade to gently raise this contact to make better contact with the battery (and the other contact just because it was there although it looked fine compared to the other one). Then I reassembled the key fob and tested it. SUCCESS. I tested it on the trunk lid multiple times and it worked every time.

Might be worth a try for those who are having issues with their key fobs not working.

Quick Reply: Key fob range down to 1m from 15m and it's not the fob battery :)