XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock Sensor Replacement? Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knock Sensor Replacement? Opinions Please

I am about to replace the valley heater hoses on my 2003 XKR with 66,000 miles. The car pings under moderate load and low speed despite using 93 octane and multiple bottles of fuel system cleaner. I do not know if the ECM was ever reflashed per TSB 303-66 to correct potential early detonation issues. There are no fault codes displayed. I am asking for opinions on whether I should replace the OEM knock sensors with aftermarket versions since I am already there. Or should I leave well enough alone? Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

If you have no codes thrown, and none pending, I would leave the knock sensors alone unless you're certain there's a problem with them. Are you replacing the valley hoses because of a leak, or as preventative maintenance? I ask as the sensors can be damaged by coolant around them, but again, I'd expect codes to be thrown.

I'd investigate the TSB further first: if the work was performed by a dealer, then AFAIK any dealer should be able to confirm whether it has been applied to your car or not. Our local dealer still has records on my car.

I believe that the sensors can be R&R on the 4.2 without removing the inlet manifold, so you could revisit if necessary.

Just my

Mike

The following users liked this post:
03xkrtn (03-13-2017)