XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life and Times of Jessi the Jaguar XK8 Chapter 2 – Cooling system upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Life and Times of Jessi the Jaguar XK8 Chapter 2 – Cooling system upgrades

Here is chapter 2 – Cooling system upgrades and preventative maintenance.

All new radiator hoses, water pump, thermostat, cooling tower/thermostat housing (URO), outlet pipe (SNG Barratt).

With all of the recommendations and posts about the XK8 (AJ26) cooling system problems I thought it was time to complete the cooling system upgrades.

I knew that my XK8 had the occasional coolant drip, so as before the project with photos.

Shiny new parts!

Cooling system before disassembly.

All original cooling system.

Weeping cap

Drip, drip, drip!

As I read on previous posts, I knew the plastic coolant tower back bolts are a pain, so I made a special 90 degree 8mm spanner/wrench pictured next to the old plastic tower.

Cheap wrench re-shaped into new tool!

One new almost shiny cast tower. I installed with the recommended shorter bolts. I decided not to slot the bolts. Shorter bolts worked a charm and with the special wrench installed ‘almost’ painlessly!

Shorter thermostat bolts borrowed for tower

The plastic outlet pipe had a small hairline crack on the left side.

My belt, idler pulley and tensioner were replaced 15,000 miles ago, so I didn’t replace them yet.

I took a few photos of the engine front without cooling parts, for you engine gurus and part number collectors………..

Numbers on top of engine block

Peering inside the block (water pump housing)

Timing cover numbers/ID

My old water pump had the dreaded plastic impellors, not sure if it was original or not?

New and old pumps

With all the new parts installed, sealed and filled.

Chapter 3 will be on the front suspension unless something else needs to be addressed first.

The good old lower ball joints will need replacing soon.

I’ll go through the front suspension, replacing, cleaning and painting where necessary.

Happy Motoring Gents!

The following 2 users liked this post by Pete Mantell:
Jon89 (03-23-2016), oyster (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Looks good.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Well done!

Old 03-23-2016, 06:25 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

nice job!

Old 03-27-2016, 10:28 PM
Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Well first let me say that is one fine garage you have, obviously no shade trees in your wrench twisting. Oh man to have a lift like that would be sweet.

I have one comment on that water pump as it looks close to the one installed by PO mechanic a few years ago and was leaking when I purchased the car. I don't like the way they altered from factory style to the one with just a paper gasket. maybe it is better but didn't look like it to me. On advice from a post I went with the AC Delco version that comes very similar block side of pump with an o-ring and metal gasket that has integrated rubber for the side water jackets, but has the metal impeller like yours. Keep an eye on the gasket in the middle of pump as well as the block side mine leaked from both.

As a relatively new to you car I would be sure to take a close look at the engine mounts. My 97 had both bad one obviously showing cracks and the other only showed some stains on the bottom metal part of mount where the fluid leaked out. I think this is what caused the stress to the water outlet pipe like you just replaced.

I did the front end on mine when I purchased it and I have to admit the ball joint design makes replacement harder than any I previously have done. The top wishbone bushing have got a few people to the point they cut the bolt, however unless you are seriously rusty I would suggest trying to clean the center section of the bolt after you break it loose where you can spin it. The washers inside the bushings have almost zero tolerance and anything on the center of bolt will cause them to jam as you try to pull the bolt out. You will love the way they have the rear bolts on the lower wishbone causing you to let the steering rack hang to get them out.

While I am on a roll I will pass along this unsolicited advice to examine.
Check the PS high pressure hose from pump to rack. If still original style you want to think about changing, this is what drove the PO to sell the car I bought. Also check to see if return hose is leaking at quick connect, you can see it when you pull the air cleaner box. I was lucky enough to need to do a lot of work and was able to combine several jobs and save some overlapping work. Having Steering Rack out makes it an easier job to doing the left engine mount. Lucky me, due to new to me almost 20 year old car.

Now if I only had a garage like that....I am sure I will be seeing it in my dreams. That suspension in the back ground looks like an interesting story as well.