XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking wheel nuts from chassis number?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 05:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Locking wheel nuts from chassis number?

Having recently purchasing an XKR with 20inch rims I thought it would be worth securing the rims with locking wheel nuts.

I had a quick look at the existing nuts with the wheels on the car and then fired off an email to SNG Barretts for confirmation of the part number. They came back asking for the chassis number and I duely obliged. I then received a link to the so called parts. Ie JLM21769 which are for the short nuts. So I ordered them. Anyway they ended up being the wrong size. I probably should have made a bigger effort to confirm the lengths of the nuts on my car with the part numbers.

So the attached photo documents what the various parts numbers are if anyone's interested. The left nut is the orginal long nut (approx 38mm) with the small locking nut (approx 22mm long) to the right.

You might think it's not much of a deal but the longer nuts weigh approx 95 grams and the smaller nuts 55 grams. As the weight is close to the axle it may not be noticeable but at speed I suspect the wheels will be out of balance?

Anyway to the credit of Barretts they have quickly sorted it and the replacements are on their way.

I wouldn't have thought a chassis number would inform anyone of what wheel nuts are fitted to your car. Unless the rims are documented as part of the configuration?

Attached Thumbnails Locking wheel nuts from chassis number?-20170331_222518.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
SNG Barratt USA (10-09-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 10:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

Originally Posted by NZxkr
..... I wouldn't have thought a chassis number would inform anyone of what wheel nuts are fitted to your car. Unless the rims are documented as part of the configuration?
The factory specification sheet for my 2005MY XK8 4.2-S includes locking wheel nut key code and even the original tyre serial numbers.

The rim type is usually on the build sheet (it was for my earlier 2001 XK8 with Impeller rims) but the 4.2-S had Sepang rims fitted as standard so this is not listed separately.

Graham

Old 04-01-2017, 02:47 AM

Thanks Graham. The cars badged 4.2-S and it was manufactured for the Japanese market. It's the 50th last off the line. Not sure if it's as high spec as the European spec but I'm happy with it. The wheels are not Sepang rims and no locking nuts. Can't believe that some of the guages are for decoration so ordered real guages from jag wrangler today.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:53 AM
Default japanese market 4.2-S

Locking wheel nuts from chassis number?-20170401_182028.jpg

Old 10-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NZxkr
NZxkr,
Those are the limited edition BBS Perseus wheels on your car. They were available on the 4.2-S and the Victory Edition in the US. I would lock them up.