XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looked at a few xk's this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Looked at a few xk's this weekend

I have been hit with the XK bug. This past weekend I looked at 3 different cars. 01 KXR vert, 01 XKR coupe, and a 02 XK8 coupe. All of them had around 100k miles on them and you can really tell who took care of their cars.

The xk8 coupe was in the best mechanical, and drivable condition, however it was a parking lot warrior who had plenty of curb rash on the wheels and dings \ marks on all four corners. I was very underwhelmed by the power the NA motor produces.
It was quick, but not fast. They did want the least amount for it @$4500.

The xkr Vert is a no go. My wife shot me down when we pulled into the parking spot next to it. It was by far the most well kept as in looks, but had black and very old motor oil. Old tires with lots of tread. looks as though it was some ones toy who got bored with it and let it sit for a few years out in the back garage. he wanted 12K. I though he was a nice guy and let him know my wife didn't want a convertible.

Then the XKR coupe. It came from AZ and yes you can tell, just about every piece of rubber on it was dry and hard. The suspension needed a complete rebuild it knocked, thunked and pulled all over the road.It did run awesome, was the fastest one of the 3 I drove. I think it had the pulley upgrade as it felt much more umph than the vert. but the suspension was sloppy so I didn't get to crazy with it. This guy wanted $7k for it.

any way I am on the look out but I dont think I have found the one yet...

Old 02-07-2017, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

My XK8 drove like the biggest POS when I bought it, clunking and banging on every bump, howling with every wheel turn.

EVERY XK8/R you buy will need some amount suspension repair: shock mounts, swaybar bushes, etc. Don't sweat the clunks and bumps, especially if you have tools and a garage to work on cars. They all go away when you replace the suspension wear bits.

These cars drive so smooth because they are floating on rubber and foam.

If the paint/interior was good and it ran good, I would shoot the XKR coupe guy a $6500 offer and remind him the shocks are $450 each. He doesn't need to know the lower shock bushings are only $30/ea.