XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a 1997-2000 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a 1997-2000 XK8

Hello everyone, I'm in the market for a 1997-2000 XK8 possibly a XKR (for the right price).

Anything i should look for? What are the major problem with them? How hard are they to work on? How hard are they to mod?

I have always been a fan, but never really looked into buying one. I was going to buy another VR4, but for that kind of money I could drive something a bit more classy. 290hp is not a bad starting point... But perhaps down the road it may not be enough. so how hard are they to supercharge or turbo charge?

thanks for any info.

Dorian.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

If you are looking for the same kind of excitement you had with 550 hp in the Mitsubishi, forget about it with the Jag. A totally different kind of vehicle that is meant more for classy luxury cruising rather than raucous bruising. Now if you are looking for something to replace the Mitsubishi, step right in and have a look at the 1995 Corvette I have been trying to sell (shameless plug)

Old 03-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The early cars have a long list of common problems but by now most of the surviving cars have had them repaired one or more times. A few minutes searching the forum will produce the list. The positive thing is that the cars are very cheap, are very easy to work on and a great prestige ride!

There is very little in the way of aftermarket add ons beyond exhaust systems and little or no tuning available. Superchargers effectively cannot be added; buy the XKR if that is required. You can increase the XKR boost some.

These cars are grand, grand tourers and the hobby restoration is primarly toward putting them back in new condition. I and most owners are devoted to their cars.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
If you are looking for the same kind of excitement you had with 550 hp in the Mitsubishi, forget about it with the Jag. A totally different kind of vehicle that is meant more for classy luxury cruising rather than raucous bruising. Now if you are looking for something to replace the Mitsubishi, step right in and have a look at the 1995 Corvette I have been trying to sell (shameless plug)
Yeah the mitsu was fun... it would pin me to my seat... it was a thrill ride... very easy to drive too... damn idiot proof i must say

I love the way the jag looks... I always been a fan... i thought that with a msrp of 85k they would be up there with a viper or corvette, (as in performance) but sadly is not true. That's why i was wondering about an aftermarket for them.

So tell me about that shameless plug of yours lol I was looking for a 97+ since i like the body better...

Anyway thanks for the info

Old 03-18-2009, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by test point
The early cars have a long list of common problems but by now most of the surviving cars have had them repaired one or more times. A few minutes searching the forum will produce the list. The positive thing is that the cars are very cheap, are very easy to work on and a great prestige ride!

There is very little in the way of aftermarket add ons beyond exhaust systems and little or no tuning available. Superchargers effectively cannot be added; buy the XKR if that is required. You can increase the XKR boost some.

These cars are grand, grand tourers and the hobby restoration is primarly toward putting them back in new condition. I and most owners are devoted to their cars.
Thanks... i did a search... found a long list... that Nikasil coating issue sounds like fun... as well as the timing chain issues... still... its a nice car... looks like im going to have to do more research for i make my decision thanks for all the info guys... i'll be sure to keep checking back from time to time with more questions and asking for more advaise...

D.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by SunDown13X
Yeah the mitsu was fun... it would pin me to my seat... it was a thrill ride... very easy to drive too... damn idiot proof i must say

I love the way the jag looks... I always been a fan... i thought that with a msrp of 85k they would be up there with a viper or corvette, (as in performance) but sadly is not true. That's why i was wondering about an aftermarket for them.

So tell me about that shameless plug of yours lol I was looking for a 97+ since i like the body better...

Anyway thanks for the info

Here is my baby of the last 14 years Name:  DSCF6858.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  85.1 KB

Anyway, gut wrenching pin-you-back-to-the-seat power is one thing and you can get that in anything ranging from a ricer Honda to a Viper. For that matter, one of those asian boxes with the ridiculous wing (Subaru or Mitsubishi) will spank my butt all day long but I would rather have the measly Corvette any day.

Sure, you certainly do not get a boy-racer feeling with the Jaguar but, then again, the class the Jaguar is in is quite different.

Doug

Old 03-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

wasn't the thermostat housing and waterpump issues in the pre-03 models as well? Suspension parts most likely, and other minor stuff.

Browse the xk8/xkr forum area for lots of good info on what to look for.