XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loose inside rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: loose inside rear view mirror

My '01 XKRis doing the same thing. Local dealer estimated $1k to replace entire system as there are no adjustments on it. I have temporarily resolved the issue by cutting a piece of sponge and sticking it between the windshield & the bottom plastic cover. It took a couple of attempts at getting the right sponge compression/shape figured outbut nowit can be driven without the horrendous rattling in your face! Its a cheap fix if you get it right...
dugem260

Old 08-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: loose inside rear view mirror

Just saw this option on another site:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...ayphotohosting
dugem260

Old 06-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem. This is an old post but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or found a proper fix?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I just repaired mine today and it only took about 15min. I did not think to take any photos to show how but all I did was remove the mirror from the windshield by applying hand applied force to the mirror neck to the windshield. The force was directed in the direction of the windshield forward and down. When it came loose I removed the center screw that holds the bracket to the plastic mirror neck. I then took my pliers and bent the two outside ears inward (just a little at a time) until it had a snug fit. Remember that the wires inside to the mirror are in a channel under the bracket, do not pinch them in the process.

I will try to take a few photos and make a procedure for you in the next day or two. It is not a difficult process, hell I did it!

Old 07-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
I just repaired mine today and it only took about 15min. I did not think to take any photos to show how but all I did was remove the mirror from the windshield by applying hand applied force to the mirror neck to the windshield. The force was directed in the direction of the windshield forward and down. When it came loose I removed the center screw that holds the bracket to the plastic mirror neck. I then took my pliers and bent the two outside ears inward (just a little at a time) until it had a snug fit. Remember that the wires inside to the mirror are in a channel under the bracket, do not pinch them in the process.

I will try to take a few photos and make a procedure for you in the next day or two. It is not a difficult process, hell I did it!
I hope this helps http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairMirrorRepair.htm

The following 2 users liked this post by Gus:
JagYi (09-28-2011), Newby (06-11-2012)
Old 07-04-2010, 03:23 PM

Gus, This is great! Thank you for the great pictures and instructions. I will try this fix tomorrow!!!

Old 07-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

No problem! Just let me know if I missed anything.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
Gus, I was horribly unsuccessful. When I attempting to bend the clip one wing bent down all the way of course it broke off when I bent it up. No clip = mirror hanging by wires. I also managed to break the corner plastic clip of the piece covering the wires. Good times

Old 08-09-2010, 02:18 PM

I called the dealership and luckily the plastic cover for the rain sensor was only $10. Unfortunately he told me they dont sell the clip separately. The whole assembly is in the neighborhood of $400.... The parts guy was cool though and referred me to www.jaguarheaven.com They are a jaguar specific salvage yard. I called them up and the guy knew exactly what part I was talking about. $20 later I have a new clip en route. Hopefully it will fix my problem

Old 03-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear view mirror shakes

Originally Posted by Gus
I hope this helps AutoRepairMirrorRepair.htm
Gus - My mirror has two cables (2000 XK8) - one cable coming from the top and the second going into a small plastic connector that is connected to a round disc that is glued on to the windshield.

Anyone have a way of unclipping that bottom set of wires? I tried wiggling it out etc but no luck. The plastic in these connectors is very fragile so I carefully tried to pinch with a needle nose plier - it broke but did not pop out.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 AM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

I have done the same ear bending, witout even thinking about it. Where is there expensive repair?
BTW, I was lucky to get 2 perfect sun visors, J-gate for shifter and nice used 8-wire mirror, all for $100

Old 03-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kvmentor
Gus - My mirror has two cables (2000 XK8) - one cable coming from the top and the second going into a small plastic connector that is connected to a round disc that is glued on to the windshield.

Anyone have a way of unclipping that bottom set of wires? I tried wiggling it out etc but no luck. The plastic in these connectors is very fragile so I carefully tried to pinch with a needle nose plier - it broke but did not pop out.

Thanks
If I recall the second plug is for the rain sensor and I think I saw a post on this. My car did not have the sensor so I am unable to direct you.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I can chime in. It's been a while since I did this, but my car has the rain sensors as well. If I recall, you have to push in on the bottom to release a clip, and then it will slide out. I think it was sort of a rocker where you push on the back and the front part with a tab that locks it in rotates out. I went back to see if I could find some pictures to show it better, but these are the only ones I found and they don't show much:

[img]

Old 04-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear view mirror

Originally Posted by K.Westra
I can chime in. It's been a while since I did this, but my car has the rain sensors as well. If I recall, you have to push in on the bottom to release a clip, and then it will slide out. I think it was sort of a rocker where you push on the back and the front part with a tab that locks it in rotates out. I went back to see if I could find some pictures to show it better, but these are the only ones I found and they don't show much:

[img]
Keith - Thanks - that gives me a good sense of the kind of locking mechanism it is.

Kal

Old 09-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
I hope this helps AutoRepairMirrorRepair.htm
+1 for another member helped by this fix.

I followed the pictured instruction and got the shaky rearview mirrors fixed after some tinkering.
It just took me longer because the previous owner had super glue inside the bolt and I had to clean all that out. After that, just bend the metal clips in towards the body for a more secured fit.

It was a very satisfying and easy fix.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Kudos to you! On the road again...

Originally Posted by JagYi
+1 for another member helped by this fix.

I followed the pictured instruction and got the shaky rearview mirrors fixed after some tinkering.
It just took me longer because the previous owner had super glue inside the bolt and I had to clean all that out. After that, just bend the metal clips in towards the body for a more secured fit.

It was a very satisfying and easy fix.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks to Gus and the others who took time to post pictures of the process.
I found the need to do the same adjustment to my mirror just a couple days ago.

I have the rain sensor and wasn't able to disconnect it easily. I left it attached and turned the bracket just enough to get some needle-nose pliers on the metal tabs. I didn't need to unscrew the metal tab from the bracket. I just slightly bent the two tabs closer to each other. It made for a nice tight fit again. The process took all of ten minutes.

Put me down as another satisfied customer of jaguarforums!!!

The following users liked this post:
Gus (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Not everyone is successful and end up with a broken bracket. If that happens I understand the Acura has the same bracket.

New location http://jagrepair.com/LooseMirrorRepairxk8.htm

Kudos to you! On the road again!

Originally Posted by Steve.c3h8
Thanks to Gus and the others who took time to post pictures of the process.
I found the need to do the same adjustment to my mirror just a couple days ago.

I have the rain sensor and wasn't able to disconnect it easily. I left it attached and turned the bracket just enough to get some needle-nose pliers on the metal tabs. I didn't need to unscrew the metal tab from the bracket. I just slightly bent the two tabs closer to each other. It made for a nice tight fit again. The process took all of ten minutes.

Put me down as another satisfied customer of jaguarforums!!!

Last edited by Gus; 10-13-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: loose inside rear view mirror