XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud knocking noise - help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 01:48 AM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RESOLVED!! Loud knocking noise - help!

The day before the cat had MOT and full service. Flew threw MOT with just a couple of minor advisories. The day following decided to use it to commute to work (90 mile round trip). Almost home in the afternoon started to notice a little knocking noise coming from under the car under 20 mph. Much more noticeable even slower - even hardly moving. Its probably happening at higher speeds (not that i did much when I first heard) but you simply cant hear if it is. Nothing to do with the engine/trans as in neutral/coasting it still happens, so assume this is rotation related as the speed of the car dictates how quickly the knocking happens.

The MOT advisories we rear pads down to 3mm and both track rod end ball joint covers were showing signs of deterioration. But there was nothing on anything that could be a factor here.

Part of the service this time was the brake fluid being changed, so I assume they had both front wheels off? I'm not getting any vibration at all through the steering wheel. Are we talking half shafts / drive train or wheel bearings / anti-roll bar / bushings / tie rods / strut top bearings issue or something else?

Any help greatly appreciate. Like us all, when things like this happen I'm hoping its a simple fix!

Jules

Last edited by Redeye; 07-20-2016 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:50 AM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

2 x wheel nuts were loose! Tightened and noise gone now.

There is a god!