Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Coolant Warning Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts
Default Low Coolant Warning Fixed

I had a Low Coolant warning a while back. Topped off the tank and it went away. Warning came back a month later, tank had fluid, so I figured it was the sensor or the tank float.

1. Took a screw driver and probed inside the tank to see if there was a stray magnet - No Magnet.

2. Pumped out the tank with a Mitivac - took out a couple quarts. Pulled the wire clip off sensor plug and unplugged, then removed the clamps and removed the tank (small clamps easily pop off with a small screwdriver which was a pleasant surprise) Checked inside with a flashlight - Could see magnet was still in float.

3. Stuck screwdriver inside tank against float magnet - it stuck and float moved freely.

4. Popped off sensor. Used my free Harbor Freight multimeter set on Ohms. No continuity. Stuck Neodymium magnet to sensor probe - 0.00 Ohms - so sensor is good.

Everything seemed to check out so I put it back together, poured the coolant back in and Dash warning went away - Fixed!

Based on the continuity check and the sensor response, what I would have done if the sensor or the tank float were bad was stick a paperclip in the plug to short the sensor, while keeping an eye out at the local junk yards for a replacement.

No sense living with a "low coolant" warning on the dash if you know the coolant is not low.

The following 4 users liked this post by Ungn:
donogood (09-30-2021), GroovyMom (01-27-2017), Johnken (09-07-2016), Matthew Chidester (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 12:11 PM
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Good news, will check my connectors.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

thanks for the write up Ungn

Old 09-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

With the number of potential leaks in the cooling system the above should only be done very short term. The tank isn't that expensive and comes with sensor and cap. We've also had a number of posts where people had low coolant only to later find 'this fix' was preventing the proper posting of the low coolant.