XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low water warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 03:43 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default low water warning

Ok I have changed water pump,thermostat,new metal housing,crossover pipe and fitted new expansion tank and yet I get low coolent level when engine is hot,
when cold no warning when hot it will come on, when I remove filler cap when hot carefully with no spillage( which I don't recommend people do) so now there is no pressue and coolent hot I find coolent level ok but float is stuck down....why would this happen when its only hot? baffels me the jag reminds my of my old rangerover 4.6 ...looks good when parked up but full of gremlins ...lol oh and according to obd2 it does not overheat and when fans are running there is no over spill going into tank under wheelarch

Old 08-03-2017, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Hey Scotty,
So all's good other than the dash warning?

The coolant s.g. will drop slightly when hot so the float is less buoyant - do you have the 50/50 coolant/water mix?

Could also be a duff float but I guess the new tank came with one?

Cheers,
Mike

Old 08-03-2017, 10:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Mike,
I think I got coolent mix right it came ready to use, I had a poke around this morning with the float and been back out and its not come on since, The tank is a sealed container so you cannot get the float out, will have to see what happens tomorrow if I get time to take a ride out, I have got it up for sale had lots of interest from the French will have to see what happens, I would like to keep it but I know its gonna be an on going costly nightmare