XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matching steering wheel wood color/finish to dash wood color/finish

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:52 AM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Matching steering wheel wood color/finish to dash wood color/finish

My stock wheel on my 98 XK8 coupe has a totally different shade/stain then my dash. I realize that the dash is a burl veneer and the wheel is solid walnut (?). But, I would think that the stains/finishes should at least be close. Has anyone ever attempted a DIY fix for this condition short of replacement the wheel or the dash?

Old 02-22-2017, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Steve, I bet a new steering wheel would be a lot cheaper than a complete matching dashboard set of pannels. IMO it would be a hell of a lot easier to buy a wheel replacement than trying to refinish the wheel wood. There is the vinyl to worry about damaging and if the wheel is darker than the dash, you're taking a bet that the wood can be lightened to match after stripping it and sanding it. Short of bleaching it just long enough to match the dash, you'd have to hope they used a darkening stain while finishing the wheel. If the wood on the wheel is naturally darker you are at a dead end. Nothing short of bleaching will lighten it and that is a crap shoot to get a good match.

I'm just being honest, not trying to be negative, but thinking out loud. To answer your question, no I've never heard of anyone working to match the wheel to the dash. It is ultra rare to hear of anyone stripping the dash to refinish it too. That would be a huge job and you wouldn't even have a spot to test different stains on to darken the dash. Sorry mate.

I just took a look. There are a ton of wheels out there from $50 to $200. I didn't check to see how different the wood was on each though.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 02-22-2017 at 09:37 PM.