XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memorial Day Weekend ROADTRIP

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Memorial Day Weekend ROADTRIP

The wife and I just rounded off the long Memorial Day weekend with a road trip to Atlanta. Since adding the XK8 to the garage in February, it was also our first opportunity to stretch out the Jaguar out on the highway as the grand tourer it was meant to be.

The trunk easily swallowed our luggage... (can't do this in a S2000).

First photo of unique sight along the way, yes, it's a cannon! Not certain whether that's gunpowder contained in that barrel. Hope not....

Dinosaur World (according to certain Kentuckians).

Passed the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, located right next to the GM 'Vette plant.

You know when you're in Tennessee when you see tour signs for Jack's.

Reached Atlanta after about seven hours driving from Louisville. No powertrain or transmission problems with the Jaguar. (Although being the third owner, it's not completely void of shakes and rattles.)

With a range of about 450 miles per tankful, fill-ups were rare.

This was the best MPG achieved throughout the trip.

While Atlanta may be a Coke town, it's still the world according to Montauke at the World of Coca-Cola Museum. :-)

The Georgia Aquarium, touted as the largest aquarium in the world. Too true. There were several HUGE tanks found within its exhibits, one even large enough to contain three whale sharks with room for them roam.

Centennial Park, at the Rings:

We were unable to take advantage of the convertible as it rained most days and nights throughout the weekend; a few times caught in downright deluges, too.

And when the top was down, it was a constant eye out for storm clouds while chasing sunshine.

We did get caught with some drizzles while the top was down, but doing 65mph blows the rain right over the car.

Overall, it was a good roadtrip.

Last edited by Montauke; 05-28-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Great trip! You shouldn't have any shakes! Get that checked out.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey, that was a very cool Post! It was nice change to see something other than a problem that needs fixing. Good job!
Brian

Old 05-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome post!! As Brian said it's nice to hear of a good trip rather than a trip to the mechanic!
Next week I'm going to Orlando 400 miles round trip!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:52 AM

Hi Lew,
The shakes I just attribute to a car being seven years old with 70k miles, being the third owner, and its "sporty" suspension.

I've got the shakes to decrease noticeably since we bought the XK8 in February by:
- replaced the two front lower bushings,
- replaced all four tires,
- fixed a little dent in one of the front rims,
- aligned and balanced.

I've had the suspension checked out by both Jaguar and at an independent with no negative diagnosis. Thus, my belief the shakes are just attributes of an older car (although I can't help think it may also be connected to the manufacturer's quality control on tolerances and the mortality of its components when my eight year old Audi station wagon with 130k miles, also third owner, has been trouble-free, continues to drive smoothly, and all its doors still close with a nice "thump" compared to the XK8's "clank".

Last edited by Montauke; 05-29-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:22 AM

I did wish the seats had more side structure to bolster and hug me in the seat. I found myself sliding from side to side around turns.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Looks like you and your wife had a great time! As for the sliding in the seat, no seat is perfect.. However, the car is! Only be sure to do it again soon!

Old 05-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Love the afternoon read montauke, thanks for sharing! i've got a trip to Indiana planned in july, and i'm driving Beth (the car) 1300+ miles one way. I'm looking forward to it. Perhaps i'll do the similar 'diary' post as you. Always cool to see the car in strange lands. I'm going to try to take mine out onto the old high school football field...if I don't get caught.