XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mina Gallery Exhaust on a Convertible... LOL!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Mina Gallery Exhaust on a Convertible... LOL!

Well, I had no idea. My muffler guy was a bit confused. He ended up customizing the Mina to make it fit... There are extra supports under the rear end for a convertible and apparently Mina didn't design for this. Oh well, my guy is pretty ok and got it all to work.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by xenophobe
Well, I had no idea. My muffler guy was a bit confused. He ended up customizing the Mina to make it fit... There are extra supports under the rear end for a convertible and apparently Mina didn't design for this. Oh well, my guy is pretty ok and got it all to work.
Mina has different models based on year. I think the design changed in 2001. The correct model should fit without a mod.

It is normal for the Mina to contact the cross brace on the convertible (I discussed this with them)...it does not cause vibration if the muffler is properly installed. Even so, I did not partucular care for this part of the design, and I isolated the cross braces by sliding a length of 3/4" heater hose over the contact areas.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 10-18-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member

Well, apparently they sent the wrong one then.... in any event what I don't like about the under axle is that they hang so far down. Very little clearance. I may opt for something different.

But the NP cats + borla 2x2 + Mina... the sound is pretty incredible. Sounds like a supercar now. Sounds so good even some guy in a souped up Mustang didn't want to try at the stop light. lol

Old 10-19-2011, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

Well, apparently they sent the wrong one then.... in any event what I don't like about the under axle is that they hang so far down. Very little clearance. I may opt for something different.

But the NP cats + borla 2x2 + Mina... the sound is pretty incredible. Sounds like a supercar now. Sounds so good even some guy in a souped up Mustang didn't want to try at the stop light. lol
If the pipes swing low, then your installer installed the center bracket upside down to prevent them from contacting the cross brace. I cannot say for sure if he made other mods if it will work now, but according to Mina the pipes should hug the cross brace tightly...and then you will gain probably at least 2 or more inches of clearance.

It really would be nice if they included instructions.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

WhiteXK is correct. I think something is wrong. It should not hang that low.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
If the pipes swing low, then your installer installed the center bracket upside down to prevent them from contacting the cross brace. I cannot say for sure if he made other mods if it will work now, but according to Mina the pipes should hug the cross brace tightly...and then you will gain probably at least 2 or more inches of clearance.

It really would be nice if they included instructions.
Actually, I'd gain about a quarter inch if he butted them against the frame... my guy said no to that due to vibrations, sound and a few other things I didn't remember. And yeah, it would be nice if there were instructions and if they would have sent the proper kit... they knew what MY car I had as well...

Sounds amazing though. An employee (the son of the owner) there is even thinking about getting an XKR after hearing how mine came out. I'd have to agree, I've never heard a better exhaust note than my car.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member

Actually, I'd gain about a quarter inch if he butted them against the frame... my guy said no to that due to vibrations, sound and a few other things I didn't remember. And yeah, it would be nice if there were instructions and if they would have sent the proper kit... they knew what MY car I had as well...

Sounds amazing though. An employee (the son of the owner) there is even thinking about getting an XKR after hearing how mine came out. I'd have to agree, I've never heard a better exhaust note than my car.
It sounds like he made some mod to get that clearance.

Agree, they do sound great!

Trending Topics

Old 10-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

So how does the sound change in the car with windows rolled up? My wife likes the quiet of the Jag. Does not like the noise from the 911.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stevepaa
So how does the sound change in the car with windows rolled up? My wife likes the quiet of the Jag. Does not like the noise from the 911.
This is a highly subjective area, but the Mina is generally considered to be one of the 'quietest' of the aftermarket exhausts....but it is definitely louder than factory, which is extremely quiet.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

The biggest change in sound volume came from replacing the factory cats with the NP ones. I was surprised... The factory cats reduce quite a bit of noise. More than the center muffler alone.

I would suggest installing the NP cats before doing anything to a stock exhaust. Removing the center muffler seemed to create a very inconsistent exhaust volume that is highly RPM and throttle dependent.

Last edited by xenophobe; 10-21-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

What is an NP cat?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stevepaa
What is an NP cat?
'Nameless Performance'