XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Electrical Mysteries

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Received 157 Likes on 105 Posts
Default More Electrical Mysteries

Hello all. Working on my 1997 Jaguar XK8 coupe here. Hoping someone can throw me a lifeline (actually 2).

1) Engine runs, transmission, brakes function to varying degrees of success, however (almost) everything electrical at the center of the car is dead. No overhead courtesy lights, no radio, no air conditioning fans (haven't checked the ac compressor yet, but I assume that is not switching on), and no shift interlock function.

It seems many major wires (particularly those out of the dash) have been spliced, however I have re-spliced all of dash splices and a few others. No blown fuses. A lot of replaced relays. Nothing apparently wrong in the passenger compartment.

In the trunk, in front of the gas tank, I found a pink/white,green black twist and a pink black/yellow black twist that is hanging. It might have gone to a speaker, which is missing.

Anyway, any kind of lifeline that will activate the center console would be helpful. I hoping it's a ground, but have no idea of the location.

2) In messing around with the wiring around the driver's side fuse box (which seems in order) I have dislodged some of the poorly spliced wiring that connected the OBDII port to the wires hanging out of the car. Pretty sure the port was working before, because it enabled me to locate problems to get the car started. I can't seem to easily find a schematic that will allow me to connect the OBD II plug to the (16) hanging wires (of which 3 have come loose). None of the colored wires match, but if I had a schematic, believe I can match the jaguar colors to the placement of wires in the plug. I have most of the manuals, just can't find that schematic.

Any help is always appreciated.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

TG, does this help?

I only count 15, though?

Your hanging trunk wires are for the subwoofer.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
Truck Graphics (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Just a thought:- you will need this to decode the colours:

The '97 schematic is available from Gus' site here:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk1997.pdf

Mike

Old 05-13-2017, 09:08 PM

I just want to thank everyone who replied. This is going to take an afternoon...or more as the wires from the aftermarket OBD-II port (which don't match the Jaguar colors) are spliced to interim wires, then spliced in the Jaguar wire bundle. Also, it seems pin 11 is not shown on the schematic (the missing pin). Hopefully there isn't a wire for pin 11.

FYI, I found a pin-out chart and some interesting information on what goes where on this previous forum post:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-ground-90481/

I'll report back when the problem is solved, hopefully in a few days.

Thanks again !

Old 05-15-2017, 10:18 PM

OBD-II mystery solved. Simply a matter of matching wire colors with pins on the aftermarket OBD-II port, using a multi-meter, then matching those wires with the schematic...The console problem is still unsolved, but I see someone else on the forum has a similar problem, so I'll keep my eye on that thread.

Again, thanks.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

The only link I can find between the shift interlock and the interior lighting is power to the BPM via F7 (15A) in the drivers side fusebox. I know you've checked all the fuses, so possibly a B+ wiring issue to the BPM pin FC14-104?

I may be inferring a little too much from JTIS, but are any of these also not working:- trunk, glove box and vanity lights & the speaker in the steering column?

Old 05-17-2017, 07:51 PM

Trunk and glove box work...so now I will be looking to track a red/blue wire from FC14-104. Not sure how a B+ (battery voltage ?) issue can be repaired, short of replacing the BPM (though they are fairly cheap in e-Bay). If I find where the red/blue wire is going, I will measure the voltage on it, but if I'm lucky, I'll find a (the) bad splice. Also, I see the brake switch was not working last night, though it was before. That comes from a blue/slate wire off of the engine control module (EM10-10) and turns into a green black wire after a connector....

I know that I am rambling a bit and also repeating instructions from michaelh , but it helps me track the problem when I write down the paths to follow. Perhaps someone with a similar problem will find some value to my wire sleuthing as well.

....Addendum - There are four wires leading from the brake switch. On that connection, I found a red/yellow wire that has a splice (to make it longer). I can also see, poking out of the bundle of four wires leading to the connector, a broken splice. If necessary, I will compress my aging, 200 plus pound body into an inverted pre-natal position, and perform wire surgery. (I don't think it's a ground.) But if I can find the other of the wire bundle, that's where I'll make the connection. Tomorrow night...

Last edited by Truck Graphics; 05-17-2017 at 09:11 PM.