XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which mufflers to delete?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:46 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Which mufflers to delete?

I've seen a bunch of postings and Youtube videos describing rear muffler deletes. Wanted to get your opinions. Want to toughen up the sound a little but don't want a miserable drone at highway speeds. Should I delete the rear pair or the slightly forward pair of mufflers? Most of what I've read indicates the forward pair doesn't make much of a difference and that the rear pair is the way to go. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I removed the rear ones and added larger oval tips. Have been very happy being able to hear that V8. Had one person at a car show ask if I had dropped a chevy into the car, said it really sounded great.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:00 PM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

"Had one person at a car show ask if I had dropped a chevy into the car, said it really sounded great."

Making my jag sound like a Chevy is the LAST thing I want to do!

Having said that, I did do the rear muffler delete on my son's XKR and it made it sound throatier but not obnoxious. It was still quieter than his current 08 XKR when in bypass.

Last edited by mhminnich; 06-20-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:10 PM
Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done the rear muffler delete and larger ovals, you get a nice deep burble on acceleration, but that's it, no louder when cruising, but it's not an Aston growl, not by a long shot, just an indication that you have a V8 in there and not an electric motor. I think complete stainless system is the way to go for a real change, stainless produces an aggressive rasp.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:26 AM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Did the center muffler delete with a very short "H" crossover - sounded great on acceleration, quiet otherwise. Then did the rears as well - sounded great on start-up and acceleration but, ended up with a drone around 2000 RPM. Then put 2 glass pack mufflers where the center muffler was and that pretty much killed the drone. If I had it to do again I would go some sort of active exhaust driven off engine vacuum. Just like an X150 XKR.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:24 AM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

My full Milltek system has only the rear mufflers.

Much louder then the stock system; it has a great V8 sound at low revs, and a nice roar at high revs. But there is slight drone on the motorway, not all the time just when the engine is under load (going up hills). I don't drive the car every day so I don't mind and if it does annoy me I usually put some music on, change speed or drop a gear to change the tone!

Old 06-21-2017, 05:56 AM
Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

I removed my rear ones and I'm happy with it for now, it's quiet when cruising and sounds
nice V8 rumble during acceleration, but agree with other's here, it does not have that aggressive V8 sound, in the future I also would like to change to stainless all the way with more open pipes.