XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My crashed XKR, and the safety features

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 09:53 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Salo
Diddion - it hurts my eye's to see Your car in this way - but glad nobody got hurt, that's the most important.

the exact same thing happened to me with my Porsche928s and it was completely my fault. I sold her as I had no garage at the time to work in. I also argued a lot with the insurance company that did take no consideration at all of the amount of money I invested in the car, they only looked in their tables and compensated per default for car, model, year, and miles.
When my last 95 Lincoln mark8 was totaled The insurance company has their set prices by those charts, they offered me $1800, but producing copys of recent repair receipts ie complete motor and tyranny rebuild, new tires and breaks, suspension work, and paint job, they brought my settlement to $5500. As I had about $7400 in just receipts. I had to take their offer, I was not in a position to buy a lawyer who would take a third of any settlement....

Old 05-31-2017, 12:29 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm so sad for your loss...

There should still be plenty of XKR's waiting for you to take home. Start searching...

Old 05-31-2017, 12:46 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks for your posts. I have to say, it is quite reassuring to find out that I am not the only one who has driven into another - it really does undermine one's confidence. Your kind thoughts are much appreciated.

But while I mourn this one, my attentions have gone elsewhere: have a look at my post 'The Jag is Dead Long Live the Jag to see quite how fickle I am.

OK, roundabouts: I give up with you lot. Just buy a Hummer and do your own thing on them.

Last edited by Diddion; 05-31-2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: type
Old 05-31-2017, 03:19 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

sorry but that isnt a £14k repair, no way. Someone is pulling the wool, especially the chassis twist, you can tell by the fit of the doors that the frame is straight. Just a light front end , nothing more

Old 05-31-2017, 04:30 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by phanc60844
sorry but that isnt a £14k repair, no way. Someone is pulling the wool, especially the chassis twist, you can tell by the fit of the doors that the frame is straight. Just a light front end , nothing more
Ah well. Nothing to be done now - someone will have made a profit. Another point is that if it were to be repaired it would have been a cat D vehicle, hence signficantly lowered in value. The independent Jag dealers who have maintained the car since purchase felt that it was beyond economical repair, too.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:37 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Diddion
OK, roundabouts: I give up with you lot. Just buy a Hummer and do your own thing on them.
Half of them already have it seems

Old 06-01-2017, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

I'm looking to hire my neighbor who drives an F450, double cab, long bed, dually, 4x4 (6x6?) King Ranch that is 23 ft long and weights 8600 lbs to clear the roundabouts as I come through town.

With that truck you would think he tows a trailer or works in the trades. Nope he's a middle school teacher. I guess F150s are for girls now.

The following users liked this post:
Mikey (06-01-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

In the USA "total losses" are specially treated by insurance companies, some even having total loss departments (USAA). Insurance companies largely disdain Kelly Blue Book valuations claiming a separate appraisal company (forget the name), which is used exclusively by insurance companies. The loss appraisal estimates are considerably less. In my instance (Hyundai Genesis V8) I was initially offered $25 K when KBB valuation was well in excess of $30K.
Discovered there was an arbitration provision legislated into my insurance policy. It took a bit of digging around auto dealerships to find an independent appraiser to represent me. Cost was $500, reimbursable if I won the arbitration by any amount in excess of $1 over insurer's original offer. We proceeded. The arbitration award was to be determined by actual retail sales valuations, not KBB or otherwise. Insurance company was required to hire an independent appraiser here in Oregon where I live, even though the accident took place in North Dakota. My appraiser had trouble finding comperable sales as very few Hyundai Genesis are made/sold. I helped him out by providing copies of ever single Genesis advertised in Autotrader and Cars.com. My advertised sale prices were about $33K. We settled for $31K and USAA reimbursed me for the $500 spent on the appraiser.
My point is that few of us are ever faced with a total loss. Total losses are treated differently than partial losses in USA, and each state had different twists on insurance laws. It doesn't require a lawyer to puzzle out consumer protection provisions. First read your policy. Then inquire your state Insurance Commisioner's Office. Be persistent.