XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Friend Backed Into Me...Nose Parts Help Please...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My Friend Backed Into Me...Nose Parts Help Please...

Ugh...took the car to local party (thought I should leave it at home..but she was clean...roads were clear...couldn't resist).

Anyway...a good Bud of mine came in and said he backed his hitch into my nose (that sounds kinda weird). Anyway...he apologizes profusely and I told him I would look at it in the next morning when it was light and determine the damage.

Turns out his hitch caught the plastic bits within the nose and cracked them. Not bad, but they should be replaced.

A little help from the Forum please;

- I think I found the parts but need clarification as to their names, the silver horizontal piece and the two grey vertical pieces are called?...and

- Can I easily (mind you replacing the headlights was a big deal for me) change out the parts?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag69
Ugh...took the car to local party (thought I should leave it at home..but she was clean...roads were clear...couldn't resist).

Anyway...a good Bud of mine came in and said he backed his hitch into my nose (that sounds kinda weird). Anyway...he apologizes profusely and I told him I would look at it in the next morning when it was light and determine the damage.

Turns out his hitch caught the plastic bits within the nose and cracked them. Not bad, but they should be replaced.

A little help from the Forum please;

- I think I found the parts but need clarification as to their names, the silver horizontal piece and the two grey vertical pieces are called?...and

- Can I easily (mind you replacing the headlights was a big deal for me) change out the parts?

Thanks in advance!
Ouch!

The 'Splitter Vane' and 'Covers':

My Friend Backed Into Me...Nose Parts Help Please...-xk8-coupe-2002-front-bumper.jpg

This is the standard for the 2002 Coupe. Be aware when sourcing parts, many vehicles have aftermarket or later grille parts fitted.

Graham

Old 02-15-2012, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

It will be very awkward not to do it without removing the bumper but easily fixable.... I have dozens of these in the workshop, maybe you could use the oppotunity to fit a mesh grille

Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

a few of the guys/gals on here (K Westra and moonpetals come to mind) have recently, or will recently, swap out their xk8 braces for the xkr grille combination...might get a good deal from one of them for all the parts you need (except those fir fasteners which get shredded on removal).

Old 02-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Yes, I will be putting on a three piece XKR grille at some point (although it may be a month or so, I'm waiting patiently for it to arrive from mjlaris and given his generosity to me and the cold weather here I'm not going to push things) and I will give you the "splitter vane" for shipping cost when I get to that point. That is if you are willing to wait that long. I'm hoping to reuse my "covers" or overriders as I've also seen them called, with the XKR grille.

The following users liked this post:
Jag69 (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine came with a 'broken nose' and smashed headlamp/ windshield. No options of changing to XKR goodies here in Mex. Mine is going to the shop next week for repairs.

Headlamp 400usd, windshield 210 usd. Repairs, paint and instal 320 usd.

I could have put it in the shop already but since its only my third day of driving the car, I couldn't part with it just yet...

Old 02-15-2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Yes, I will be putting on a three piece XKR grille at some point (although it may be a month or so, I'm waiting patiently for it to arrive from mjlaris and given his generosity to me and the cold weather here I'm not going to push things) and I will give you the "splitter vane" for shipping cost when I get to that point. That is if you are willing to wait that long. I'm hoping to reuse my "covers" or overriders as I've also seen them called, with the XKR grille.
Keith,

Thank you! My Buddy will be very appreciative as it seems I have to have the nose removed to have the new parts installed. I am not a big fan of the mesh grill so I am happy to take your "discards".

Overiders anyone...(he asks sheepishly...)?

Once again...thanks to a very generous forum.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member

Again I have loads, but there will be screw holes in them, in the UK they fit the number plate to them, shipping will be the killer but as a guess $100 delivered

The following users liked this post:
Jag69 (02-18-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Again I have loads, but there will be screw holes in them, in the UK they fit the number plate to them, shipping will be the killer but as a guess $100 delivered
Screw holes in the horizontal grey overriders / covers - are some people moving the standard UK black plastic number plate carrier up from the usual place on the front bumper?

My Friend Backed Into Me...Nose Parts Help Please...-xk8-4.0-number-plate-bracket.jpg

This is my 2001 number plate carrier.

Graham

Old 02-16-2012, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member

Dont you mean "down"????

Old 02-16-2012, 04:37 AM
GGG

Dont you mean "down"????
No - Jag69 is after the chrome splitter vane and two horizontal grey plastic overrider / covers and I thought you were meaning you'd come across vehicles with the front number plates screwed to the two grey plastic overrider / covers in the centre of the grille instead of the carrier on the front bumper.

Graham

Old 02-16-2012, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member

The number plate plinth you have screwed to your bumper is normally fitted to the over riders, this was standard on 99% of XKs in the UK, the only time it was different is if the customer requested it so, quite a few have changed this at later dates, I myself designed a pair of brackets you could fit to the plinth and lower the plate below the grill, other were like the Paramount style which went right under the car and cost a fortune.

Some people like your XK screwed the plinth directly to the top of the bumper, this was the cheapest way of doing it but meant you had to make holes in the front lip of the opening......

This is why I have loads of over riders with screw holes in, the angle of the moulding in the plinth is designed to screw to the over riders...... I also have loads of plinths too!!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 AM
GGG

The number plate plinth you have screwed to your bumper is normally fitted to the over riders, this was standard on 99% of XKs in the UK, the only time it was different is if the customer requested it so................
Ah! - I can see this plate location in the photo on the cover of 'Jaguar XK8 and XKR' by John Blunsden and thought it was something owners had done. Definitely a situation calling for use of your favourite icon

Does this mean I can lower the number plate carrier for the 4.2-S on the left to the same height as the 4.0 on the right just by redrilling the holes in the plinth?

My Friend Backed Into Me...Nose Parts Help Please...-xk8-front-number-plate.jpg

As I have to have a front plate, I'd prefer the grille to be unobstructed.

Graham

Old 02-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

I actually made a plinth just for the 2005 MY along with grilles either side, the only other people who did this is Adamesh as I supply them

Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 AM
GGG

I actually made a plinth just for the 2005 MY along with grilles either side, the only other people who did this is Adamesh as I supply them
Can the plinth be used without the grilles? I'm probably in a minority of one in liking the original splitter vane.

Graham

Old 02-18-2012, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member

You dont have to have the grilles if you dont want to

Old 02-18-2012, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Sorry to hear that mishap , it could have been worse that's a consolation

Old 02-18-2012, 11:24 AM

Thanks XKR...I will try to locate State-side...but I may still contact you if need be.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:43 PM
GGG

You dont have to have the grilles if you dont want to
Is that two different styles of plinth on the blue and grey cars or are they just fixed differently?

Graham

Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I love your grill. I bought one like it from Adamesh before I saw your web site.

Mark

Quick Reply: My Friend Backed Into Me...Nose Parts Help Please...