Sponsored by:

My New Arden Xk8 Show Car :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts
Default My New Arden Xk8 Show Car :)

Hey Guys,

So I came across a unique and I believe rather rare opportunity. In my travels and tribulations as a used car dealer / broker sometimes I come across some pretty rare stuff. Being a self professed Jaguar Nut, my jaw dropped when I came across this.

This was the original sales ad:

Beautiful and one a kind 1999 Jaguar XK8 Convertible 54K Miles

This car was sent to Germany from England before coming to the U.S. for the Tampa and Miani Int'l Auto Shows where the original owner purchased it. I bought this unique beauty from the original owner who meticulously cared for it by keeping it in an air conditioned garage.
Since I have owned this car, as I do with all my vehicles, keep in a garage and covered with a custom car cover until such time I take her out for a spin.
As well as this car was taken care of, I have done a few things to it which I will list below.

Modifications Done by ARDEN in GERMANY

Lowered and suspension stiffened
Arden total aerodynamics package installed
Arden custom exhaust installed
20 inch HRE 540 Polished Wheels Installed (retail on wheels $1600 each. They are 3 piece. research HRE they are by far one of the BEST wheel manufacturers)

*Previous owner installed new Sumitomo HTR Z III P285/30/ZR20 on rear. They have less then 5K miles on them and look new.
** I installed new Sumitomo HTR Z III P255/35/ZR20 on the front and had them balanced on a road wheel balancer.

Work I have had done
New Spark Plugs (NGK Iridium)
Replaced Primary and Secondary timing tensioners (checked guides and chains they are fine)
Replaced main serpentine belt
Air filter
Oil change and filter with synthetic, not synthetic blend
Replaced two panels on drivers side seat - previously worn

I have treated the leather interior with "leather honey" several treatments.
It is in excellent condition.
Convertible top is original and in like new condition.
Everything works, no engine codes.
Two sets of keys.
Original owners manual.

So after speaking with the owner, and calling Arden in Germany, nice folks once you get to someone that really understands english. They confirmed that this was in fact a factory modified car, and that all work was done by arden when new. He also claimed that he had every record and piece of paper of everything that was ever done to the car service wise since day one.

The car was in a small town near Tampa, FL. (I later found out this was a private gated community on some golf course).

Here are the original sale ad pics:

So After working out a deal fair to both parties. I purchased the car. The car was then loaded onto an enclosed transport trailer for the trip up to me in NJ. Btw my shipping company ROCKS, I put the order in on Friday and they picked up the car the next day. If you ever need to ship a car, PM me.

Here is the car getting loaded onto the transporter Fri evening:

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon, (Mind you I was expecting the car tuesday as per the shipping co. I get a call from the driver that the car is here and would I be willing to come out and meet him at the shop for him to drop it. I told him bring it to my house instead and I'll take it. Due to the fact that he had a two trailer closed car carrier, I met him at the neighborhood school's parking lot, so we didn't try to cram that rig into my neighborhood.

Two days later, Sunday here is the car getting offloaded in NJ.

Ramp Clearances were REALLY tight. But the driver did a great job. I served as his lookout. He used plywood boards under the front wheels to get the clearance he needed. Backed the car up 2ft, reset the boards, repeat. It took 25 min to get the car down the ramp without damage.

Here is the car arriving at my house a few mins later. I was worried about clearing my driveway apron, but I took it on an angle slowly and it was ok. There is definitely a technique to driving a lowered car.

In the garage next to my regular XK8. Notice the ride height and exhaust tip differences. The White Xk8 is now sold. I dropped it off at the dealer auction yesterday.

Original owner's cost.... Yikes.

Every piece of paper on the car as promised. The seller was a real gentleman.

So, like every used car it needs a few things.

1) Cup holder is broken. Needs to be replaced / upgraded with the metal hinge version.

2) Has a steering shake, could be wheel balance, a rim bent, or simply flat spotted tires.

Despite the fact that I haven't driven the car besides a mile from the school to my garage. (I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel, have a few cars going out, AND have a day job), I'm absolutely in love with it.

First order of business is to get it out this weekend and give it a good wash / hand detail.

I need to sort out the other stuff... but all in due time.

Let me know what you guys think.

Take care,

George

Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default I saw that car for sale, too!

I'm glad that a forum member bought that beauty of a cat. Congratulations!

Old 06-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Absolutely gorgeous, George. A true one-of-a-kind XK. That original owner's price is checkbook-crushing. I cannot imagine ever being willing to pay that kind of money for an automobile. You'll drive it with a permanent grin on your face having purchased it for a fraction of what it sold for new....

Congrats, and keep us posted as you bring it up to your standards. I doubt there's much you'll need to do beyond solving the wheel-shake issue....

Old 06-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Looks great, the side by side difference with the other one is impressive.
Congratulations!

Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

What a beauty.

Is it a 'keeper', at least for a while?

And how does that amazingly expensive exhaust sound compared to stock?

Congratulations.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I believe George may actually keep this one for awhile. At least through the summer!

But if he finds a similarly-customized XKR, he'll jump all over it....

My prediction, anyway. Time will tell....

Old 06-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Translator
What a beauty.

Is it a 'keeper', at least for a while?

And how does that amazingly expensive exhaust sound compared to stock?

Congratulations.
Thanks guys!

Yeah I think this one is a keeper.....

As far as the exhaust note, I think the best way to describe it is a cross between a Mustang and a Maserati, depending on RPM range.

It's deep, and has a little burble at idle, but its raspy, and not ridiciculously loud at higher RPM. You always know it's there, but its acceptable to live with.

Arden has an exhaust note sound clip on their site, along with the aforementioned ridiculous pricetag:

http://shop.arden.de/jaguar/xk8/xk8-...-r-4-2-sc.html

Take care,

George

Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I must say that is a very stylish look for the XK. I was just dreaming about having my "R" with that package and the AVOS Kenne Bell S/C set up. It wouldn't be "who let the dogs out" anymore----it would be "who let the Bad Cat out the bag" ROARRRR.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

I like that wheel style....but you are going to scrape bottom on every little bump in the road, and every parking lot will become an obstacle course.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
I believe George may actually keep this one for awhile. At least through the summer!

But if he finds a similarly-customized XKR, he'll jump all over it....

My prediction, anyway. Time will tell....
Jon, I think this one is a keeper for good. From what I've been able to determine with my conversations with Arden, less than 100 cars in the world were done at the Arden facility - right off the assembly line with everything. Suspension, exhaust, Full Aero Kit etc.

BTW, the car did NOT originally leave Arden with the HRE wheels. I'm having the original arden build docs mailed to me, BUT the owner specifically deleted the 18" Arden wheel offering at the time from his package.

Don't forget the cost of Mods at Arden was 38k USD in late 1998 dollars.

Plus shipping back and forth from the Jaguar Factory. IF there are XKR's out there, how many are there and how does one go about finding one?

Originally Posted by Mountaincat
I must say that is a very stylish look for the XK. I was just dreaming about having my "R" with that package and the AVOS Kenne Bell S/C set up. It wouldn't be "who let the dogs out" anymore----it would be "who let the Bad Cat out the bag" ROARRRR.
I love the look... And dreams of all these exotic engine mods are the stuff dreams are made of, BUT with Andrew at Jaguar Specialties having his released his LSx kit for the Xk8, including adapting the 4l60e trans to work with the jaguar shifter, and keeping the can bus, all the gauges, abs / traction etc working, personally it's kind of a moot point. You can get built 4l60e's designed to handle the horsepower for the price of a replacement stock zf trans, (or MB 722.5 - if you use the XKR trans). And the only thing you will have to worry about it the rear diff / axles... Although if you have done your research, the ford / jag engineers mounted a 302 with some mods and a ford 8.8 out of an explorer into the cars used in the Bond films. One was even converted to AWD with two explorer axles for the ice racing scenes, but they had to cut half the dash out to get the trans / transfer case to fit under the car...

So if I were to hurt the original drivetrain, that's where I would go with it.

The LSx (especially a 6.0 or 6.2) can make avos type crazy power with bolt on's NA. Turbo LSx's easily break 1000hp, tuning is a matter of plugging in a laptop and picking your tuning package.... Everything is so well sorted and documented with that drivetrain that it makes it a no brainer...

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
I like that wheel style....but you are going to scrape bottom on every little bump in the road, and every parking lot will become an obstacle course.
It's honestly not that bad.... The suspension is SO stiff, (Arden springs and Arden spec bilsteins and beefier Arden sway bars) that you can drive over a quarter and tell if it's heads or tales. Car takes a highway on ramp at 80mph like it's on rails. (kids don't try this at home). I've had a few lowered cars, including an E60 chassis BMW 535i that was lower than this. The ONLY real thing you have to worry about are big potholes to not hurt a wheel, even though these are forged aluminum, and therefore stronger than a cast wheel, OR speed bumps. They are the enemy. You either drive around them, or straddle them with one side of the car.

Take care,

George

Old 06-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

rediculous "new" price.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Cool

Great story!

Needs a cap on the seat belt pillar attachment though.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spurlee
Great story!

Needs a cap on the seat belt pillar attachment though.
Both of them actually! - Anyone have a part # handy?

Thanks

George

Old 06-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Looks like the part number is:
HJA7150AALEG for Warm Charcoal up to VIN (019228) per the EPC or
HND7150AALEG for VIN after (019228)

Old 06-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Your new toy is beautiful. I wish you best of luck with it.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

That is a special car, George. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I am looking forward to your updates.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
That is a special car, George. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I am looking forward to your updates.
JUST the man I wanted to talk to!

I was going to pm you about some electronics upgrades / advice if you don't mind.

I have some ideas / plans for the car... I'm an EE too, but you know these cars like the back of your hand!

Take care,

George

Old 06-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
JUST the man I wanted to talk to!

I was going to pm you about some electronics upgrades / advice if you don't mind.

I have some ideas / plans for the car... I'm an EE too, but you know these cars like the back of your hand!

Take care,

George
Sure, more than happy to help if I can, but I still have not learned all the electronic mysteries lurking under the pretty skin of the XK.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice car :-), here you can see my XK8 coupe with full Arden conversion

Old 08-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Miramar2
Very nice car :-), here you can see my XK8 coupe with full Arden conversion

Just noticed your badge is also in another location! Was that to hide a leaper hole!

I'll guess I'll throw mine in the mix! My 2002 XK8 with full arden kit as well! With arden vent bulges. I moved badge to grille and lost the front lip.
My New Arden Xk8 Show Car :)-image.jpg

Attached Thumbnails My New Arden Xk8 Show Car :)-581147_3366948647466_1553458217_n.jpg  

Last edited by philhef; 08-18-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: My New Arden Xk8 Show Car :)