Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Need Help

As some of you may recall from some of my previous posts, I changed out my 3.06 rear end on my XKR for a3.27. Well the 3.27 has a chipped/broken tooth on the pinion gear. Jag does notsell just the ring and pinion gear and the 3.27 is not available in the US. Howeverthe 3.2 liter XJ8 uses this same differential. I need to locate, prefferably, a used 3.27 ping and pinion but I will buy the whole differentialif necessary. If anyone has any leads or advice, please let me know. Any and all help is most appreciated. Thanks,

Nark

Old 08-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Sorry I cannot help with your question but would you mind my asking you a question? When I owned my Corvette by far the other Corvette gearheads recommended swapping the stock rear end gears with higher number ones for the best bang-for-the-buck seat-of-the-pants improvement. This was virtually the first or second thing that most folks did.

So is such a swap easily doable for the XK8/XKR? Also, do you need to reprogram the computer so that the odometer/speedometer compensates for the altered gearing?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 08-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Sorry I cannot help with your question but would you mind my asking you a question? When I owned my Corvette by far the other Corvette gearheads recommended swapping the stock rear end gears with higher number ones for the best bang-for-the-buck seat-of-the-pants improvement. This was virtually the first or second thing that most folks did.

So is such a swap easily doable for the XK8/XKR? Also, do you need to reprogram the computer so that the odometer/speedometer compensates for the altered gearing?

Thanks,

Doug
It is my understanding that the swap is relatively straight forward in the 2003 model forward because of the ZF transmission. However, my 2002 XKR with the Mercedes transmission required a reprogrammed TCM module, which is very expensive. I purchased mine from another forum member who went to an even higher gear ratio.

Since I posted this request for help, I have purchased a new 3.27 ring and pinion gear from forum member XKRacer (paragon design). He is a great guy and I have purchased many of his products.

mark