XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 05:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default need suspension advice

Hi all- I'm getting ready to tackle the next project on my 2001 XKR, with CATS shocks. car has 111K miles. It looks like there is 3 ways to go.
1. just replace the worn out bushings, mounts, etc
2. same as #1, but also replace the CATS shocks
3. #1, but instead of CATS, use Std. Bilsteins.

With the car running, the "bounce" test shows the shocks are not loose and do not have excessive rebound, so I'm sort of inclined to just do #1. On my parts list I have the following: sway bar bushings, top shock mounts, lower shock bushings, spring isolator and bump stops.

Are there any other parts that should be added to this list?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-22-2017, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbsam
Hi all- I'm getting ready to tackle the next project on my 2001 XKR, with CATS shocks. car has 111K miles. It looks like there is 3 ways to go.
1. just replace the worn out bushings, mounts, etc
2. same as #1, but also replace the CATS shocks
3. #1, but instead of CATS, use Std. Bilsteins.

With the car running, the "bounce" test shows the shocks are not loose and do not have excessive rebound, so I'm sort of inclined to just do #1. On my parts list I have the following: sway bar bushings, top shock mounts, lower shock bushings, spring isolator and bump stops.

Are there any other parts that should be added to this list?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!
I recommend rebuilding the control arms as well; and replace the sway bar links. 8 bushings, 4 ball joints, 2 links. I'm at 102k and doing the number 1 and am mid way doing these. I have the top control arms done (bushings and ball joints) and the links. When the lower control arms come off is when I'm doing the shock plates and shock bushings.